What's new
What's new

Mazak Slant Turn 15 Turret Rebuild and Alignment

DannoD

Plastic
Hi,

I am trying to rebuild and realign the turret on a mazak slant turn 15, vintage 1984. I have removed and replaced the studs that were hidden behind the turret and too long to remove without removing the body.
20210713_173345.jpg
The turret body rotates on a knock pin and the taper pin aligns the rotation. The 5 bolts and 2 studs secure it in place. The taper pin that aligned the turret was bent and buried way deep but I managed to get it out. Someone reamed the hole to 11.2mm and drove that bad boy in there. Needless to say 11.2mm is way to big for any readily available pin. So I have ground an oversized pin, with the thinking that I should be able to put the new pin in and realign the turret body to it's factory position. Then put the turret on check the movement parallel to the x axis and then check the radial alignment.
20210713_173308.jpg20210713_173406.jpg
However before I do that I want to check/confirm that the turret body moves parallel to the x axis before I put the turret on. I am hoping that the new pin will take care of the alignment but it is a pain to get the turret on and off so I want to make sure that once the turret goes on it stays on. That being said
  1. 1) How do I confirm that the body of the turret is parallel to the x-axis. i.e. where is the best place to measure?
  2. 2) The coolant nozzle looks damaged and nothing like the picture in the manual, any idea how to remove/repair it?

Sidebar...
Obviously, a few people have tried to remove this center. Any suggestions?
20210713_173508.jpg

Kind regards,
Dan

Back