What's new
What's new

Mazak tool arm error

Marcis

Plastic
I have a problem with the machine. I also tried to search in internet for some similar problems but didn’t find anything. Maybe one of you can advise me how to solve it.
Problem shows up when I need to probe tools. When I push /MSR UNIT ON/ button machine immediately turns off the moving buttons, the tool eye arm goes to the measuring position, /MSR UNIT ON/ gets pink, but it is not possible to move the axis. The /Toolset MEASURE/ button does not react as well. The machine allows to send back the tool eye arm but from moment when the tool eye gets in the start position (/MSR UNIT OFF/ turns pink) engaging the tool eye arm is not working anymore. The machine shows no errors or alarms. This situation can not be reset, the only way is to restart the machine. When the machine is restarted, all works well, I can make programs I can turn and mill without problems. I try to pull out tool eye arm by hand, of course, machine shows error, I push reset, and error disappears. At this moment all movement buttons work, I can move the tool to measure position, and I can switch on /Toolset Measure/ button, but /MSR UNIT on/ are not active (not Pink) I try to measure tool in that situation, tool touches probe and stops exactly like it should be when you normally measure tool, only, in this case, there is no beep and no offset was written in the offset table. When /Toolset Measure/ button is inactive and I try to push tool probe by hand it beeps.

tool eye sensor is faulty. It sends SKIP signal to NC that it is always pressed. That is why NC wont move anything unless tool eye sensor is de-pressed. Check your diagnostic screen if SKIP signal is ON all the time.

HI. Thanx for the answer. I check the diagnostic screen, SKIP signal is always 0. Even if I push the sensor with hand and hire the beep it stays on 0. I try to pool down the tool arm by hand, switch on Toolset Measure mode and try to measure tool. The tool pushes the sensor half vay, red led on the sensor disappears without a beep but the SKIP signal stays 0 in this case too. diagnose.jpg

The only function which changes at the moment when I push the Measure unit ON is 48.INT CUT from 0 to 1 and never changes back to 0 until I restart the machine.diagnose.jpg

ok. the best way to go further is: open electrical diagram and find all 3 digital inputs ( arm is extended, retracted and SKIP). They are X.. inputs. Check if all inputs are okay. Check them all in DIAGNOSTIC MONITOR not in PLC SIGNALS status screen.

INT CUT is interlock signal, not sure what CUT means, probably CUTTING

I just got the idea to make a tool measuring program, to call the tool arm from the Mazatrol program in auto mode. It works tool arm engages then I stop auto mode, and go to manual, from that moment I can switch on Toolset measure mode and touch the tools. It means that the sensor is ok. Somehow Mazatrol did not allow engaging the tool arm in manual mode.

Thanx for trying. I hav no ideas anymore. Maybe somebody knows where to get information about X inputs which are used on lader diagrams, but not shown in the electric book? For example, I see that X254 is involved in switching on one of the outputs which I need, but I did not know what exactly x254 is and from where it comes. I believe if it is not presented in the electric book then this is not a physical signal.

Last edited:
it goes directly into NC. it is so called SKIP signal. It is not made to be passed by PLC logic as it lags and has different PLC scanning time. So to avoid all this mess MITSUBISHI has dedicated SKIP channel, it is on this funny PCB board inside electrical cabinet the one that has many connectors and RIO interface

...or may be not. Depends on your particular NC control.

Last edited:
something strange with your Mazatrol happening here. When you select MESUARMENT ON, bit 37. MES-SEN should be 1.

PLC tells NC that it enters tool measurement routine and NC needs to watch moving axis and skip signal.
The book says that it is optional to NC control. You didnt change a parameter to let MAZAK know that it has tool eye by any chance? did you?

the other thing is bit 48. INT CUT supposed be 0, that is how I see it on out T plus MAZAK lathe. Bit 48 is another mystery. I attached a bit that explains it.

I think INT CUT turns 1 due to the fact that NC doesnt see MES-SEN signal as active.

Or may be we just overthinking all this a lot

Attachments

• asdsa.jpg
    asdsa.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 11
  • dsdddd.jpg
    dsdddd.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 10
HI.

I change the parameter (R50 bit 0) that let Mazak know about tool eye, but I did it only after this problem shows up. I just think maybe this parameter gets some glitch and I try to change the parameter. After changing the tool arm activation buttons gets inactive and it is not possible to call the tool arm. I restart the machine, nothings change and I change R50 bit 0 beck to 1.

what MAZAK machine are u trying to troubleshoot?
all our mAZAKS are running atm. You need to go to ladder and trace SUB CALL MENU ( P130 routine ) and see what it does once u press MESUARMENT ON , what flags it activates. That MAZATROL way of passing info to plc logic.

the problem is MES-SEN signal, it has to be 1, I guess

so, anyway for 640 control lathe it goes like this ( I am guessing here) SUB CALL MENU calls MENU 17 bit. M992 sets M995 ( PLS M995) and after PLC enters P 153 routine, which is called MEASURING.

You see, it is all here, inside machine PLC ladder. Unfortunately I only had machine for few minutes to check this and that.

Attachments

• sdfsd.jpg
    sdfsd.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
if you have SQT250 with 640 control, then the Bit that activates MES-SEN is Y27D, and it goes into NC, here is a bit of logic how it gets ON.

you can force this Y27D in diagnostic screen and see that MES-SEN is immediately ON.

Attachments

• 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 12
  • asdas.jpg
    asdas.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 12
Hello. Thanks for the help. In the end, we made a decision to create a backup for the existing system, then we cloned Mazartol to another HDD and restored the system on it after some previous backup that we already had from the previous owner. The problem was resolved and everything works fine now. Maybe you can advise what is needed to change the HDD disk to an SSD disk?

Replace the original HDD with the SSD service drive
A. Step 1
1. If using a PCMICA card in HR841 to backup the data, insert your card and use Windows Explorer to copy files in Appendix 1 to the card. See D1 through D4 to access Explorer. Then continue to step 10
2. If using a hard drive reader to transfer the backup, continue to the next step
3. Disconnect the HDD ribbon cable from the HR123 or HR124
4. Remove the screws holding the HDD in place and remove from the panel
5. Attach HDD to your hard drive reader and transfer files in Appendix 1 to your computer
6. Remove HDD from hard drive reader, and attach the SSD service unit to the reader. The reader MUST have an external power supply and NOT use the USB port to supply the power to the SSD. If a USB powered hard drive reader is used the SSD service drive will be corrupted and not usable. The hard drive reader in Appendix 2 is known to work without issues
7. Copy the files to the SSD service drive that you stored on your computer
8. Install the Service drive in the machine using the ribbon cable that was shipped with the drive. If the original HDD ribbon cable is used it will damage the SDD service drive
9. Continue to step 14
10.Insert the PCMICA card into the HR841
11.Power on the machine
12.Use Windows Explorer to transfer files to the SSD service drive
13.Power off the machine and wait 30 seconds
14.Remove PCMICA card if inserted
15.Power on the machine
16.Verify That the Main A and Main B are the correct version for the machine and the revision match

Files to be backed up from HDD. Not all files will be on all machines
• Machining programs
o C:/T_Machine Programs (Lathe)
o C:/MC_Machine Programs (Mill)
• Machine Backup for Data I/O and Programs
o C:/T_Backup (Lathe)
o C:/MC_Backup (Mill)
• Programs for HDD running
o C:/T_Direct Mode Programs (Lathe)
o C:/MC_Direct Mode Programs (Mill)
• PLC Program Backup
o C:/LADDER