What's new
What's new

Mazatrol T Plus training?

M3cnc

Plastic
Good evening everyone,
I recently purchased my first mazak. It’s a 1995 qt15n with the mazatrol t plus controller. I am looking to getting some hands on training. I have read the manuals and have searched on line but I always seem to learn better with a hands on approach. I am Located in southern Ca, but am willing to travel to get some training. I would be willing to pay for the training of course, I know knowledge is power and time is money. Thank you in advance.
-mark

Hi Mark,

Like I mentioned before, ask the Apps guys at Mazak in the Gardena, CA facility for some Hands On Training (HOT) classes at their location. Super knowledgeable guys there.

Last edited:
Hi Phil,
I called and asked if there was training available for my control. The person I spoke to said that there wasn’t, and the training is all on there newer controls. He did say there was a new controller coming out that would be similar to the t plus and recommended that training when they offer it later this year. Thank you again for the videos I started to set the computer right next to the machine and follow along. Need to load my tool data and file next. Going to watch that one a couple more times. There are a few tools left in the machines that were flipped upside down. In that case would all the info be the same except the spindle direction?

Hi Phil,
I called and asked if there was training available for my control. The person I spoke to said that there wasn’t, and the training is all on there newer controls. He did say there was a new controller coming out that would be similar to the t plus and recommended that training when they offer it later this year. Thank you again for the videos I started to set the computer right next to the machine and follow along. Need to load my tool data and file next. Going to watch that one a couple more times. There are a few tools left in the machines that were flipped upside down. In that case would all the info be the same except the spindle direction?
Same info for the tool except right hand vs left hand and spindle direction.

Awesome thanks again Phil, I reached out to Mazak again and spoke to another person in the training section. He did reiterate that the t plus controller is too old for their hands on training. But is going to see if there was a tech available that is familiar with that control and possibly set up a training day on my machine which would be ideal. He also mentioned that the head quarters in Kentucky May still offer hands on training there, so might have to look into that as a back up.
Over the weekend I officially programmed my first couple demo parts/ set a couple tools and bored some jaws. All by following you videos. Our controllers are slightly different so some of the functions are located in different areas but was able to figure it out. Super excited and seems like this old dog has plenty of life left.
Do you have a cutting speed and feed for Delrin? That’s what I’ve been using for practice parts and it seems to heat up and cause a stringy mess around the part. I have to stop the program clear the birds nest and continue.
One last note, when I press auto and start of my rpm is set over 1100 it will ramp up and shut off the controller, do you have any direction where to go with that? If the program is set to 1000 it runs with no issues!

Awesome thanks again Phil, I reached out to Mazak again and spoke to another person in the training section. He did reiterate that the t plus controller is too old for their hands on training. But is going to see if there was a tech available that is familiar with that control and possibly set up a training day on my machine which would be ideal. He also mentioned that the head quarters in Kentucky May still offer hands on training there, so might have to look into that as a back up.
Over the weekend I officially programmed my first couple demo parts/ set a couple tools and bored some jaws. All by following you videos. Our controllers are slightly different so some of the functions are located in different areas but was able to figure it out. Super excited and seems like this old dog has plenty of life left.
Do you have a cutting speed and feed for Delrin? That’s what I’ve been using for practice parts and it seems to heat up and cause a stringy mess around the part. I have to stop the program clear the birds nest and continue.
One last note, when I press auto and start of my rpm is set over 1100 it will ramp up and shut off the controller, do you have any direction where to go with that? If the program is set to 1000 it runs with no issues!
Glad the videos are helpful. :)

I usually just use aluminum speeds and feeds for Delrin. I use very sharp periphery ground inserts when cutting Delrin. Molded inserts with a honed edge do not cut plastic very well.

Sounds like you are running out of juice and your phase converter is not able to keep up with the machine's demand. I would look into reducing the spindle acceleration parameter to reduce the current required to run the machine. I do not know how to do that on a T+ control but perhaps someone here might know.

Back