What's new
What's new

McMaster Carr Still Selling Lyndex Collets?

Jonnybronco

Plastic
Hi All,

I just picked up a used Bridgeport Mill and I'm looking at getting tooling for it. I need a collet set and Lyndex seems a good compromise between Hardinge and Amazon that will fit my needs. McMaster Carr doesn't list a manufacturer for their R8 collets, and when I sent them question to ask about manufacturer they stated "We prefer not to share our manufacturer information."

Has anyone bought R8 collets from them recently? Their pricing seems in line with other Lyndex vendors ($30.62/each vs. $33.95 from MSC)

I only want 1/8" to 1" in 1/8" increments to start with, so nothing too extensive, which McMaster has, but don't want to pay higher price for Amazon quality tools.

This will be for home occasional use only.

Thanks,

Jonny

That's surprising. If you call them on the phone they might answer. If you specifically say "The rest of our collets are Lyndex and we'd like them to match, are they still that brand?" even more likely.

Every R8 or 5C collet I've gotten from them in the past couple years I'm pretty sure has been Lyndex, though the packaging changed from the blue cardboard boxes to white plastic sleeves. I can check later tonight.

Remember pre internet there was a phone number you could call and get the manufacturer of any Mcmaster number?

They are funny about brand names, almost none.

I seldom care about brand names when it comes to McMaster and they don't sell junk. But the few times I have asked them, they tell me. It's probably because I've bought steadily from them for 30+ years and they can see that in those years I've returned exactly one item and never had any payment related issue.

But if it's that important...order a single collet and see who made it. If it's Lyndex, then order more.

If you are just buying for occasional home use....I think Lyndex is pretty high end anyway.

you can click on product and there is a little thing called product detail...it lists country of origin. Last time I checked it listed foreign and I believe the last one I got said India.(a lyndex)

Thanks for all the responses. Details says "Country of origin India or Taiwan"

Lyndex collets are made in China. I have a set of cheap no name 5c collets and a set from Lyndex; I cannot tell much of a difference. If you want high accuracy collets these days, you have to order them as specials. ANSI standards apparently don't mean anything anymore.

Also, this is relevant to the conversation: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/forum/threads/lyndex-collets-runout.220594/

I only want 1/8" to 1" in 1/8" increments to start with, so nothing too extensive, which McMaster has, but don't want to pay higher price for Amazon quality tools...
You also need 3/16", a very common shank size for 3/16 and many smaller cutting diameter end mills. Plus they cost less than 3/8" shanks. The 1/8" and 1/4" collets are of possible use for die grinder burs, and I have used mine for that, but actual end mills in those sizes are uncommon. Carbide end mills exist with 5/16" and 7/16" shanks, but they are uncommon, so not really useful collet sizes.

You do not want 7/8" or 1" R8 collets. Properly designed R8 collets stop at 3/4", though some larger sizes are made for people who do not know better. For those size shanks, get Weldon-style end mill holders, the ones with set screws. Do not waste money on double ended end mills with shanks over 3/4" because they do not fit R8 tooling unless you cut them in half. If I want a big end mill, like a 1", I get one with a 5/8" or 3/4" shank.

You can also get R8 ER collet chucks in various capacities, which are handy if you ever buy any metric shank tools, and they can hold pretty big shanks.

Fly cutters are very handy for flat milling wide parts, and they do not care at all if they are held in an off center collet.

Larry

Last edited:
Not that most people use them on a Bridgeport, but IME end mills at or below 1/8” diameter use 1/8” shanks. I end up using these quite regularly, but then again I do only have the one mill.

Either way, they don't sell junk in my experience.
McMaster is a bit rather picky about it's sources to say the least.
They do not sell low shelf.
Do you need .0002 at base and also at 3-6 inches out.? Now we are talking real collets at $250-$600 each.
Welcome to my world. Life is maybe 2000-5000 clamps before oh poop. One endmill or drill every 30 to 90 seconds.

Last edited:
McMaster is a bit rather picky about it's sources to say the least.
They do not sell low shelf.
Do you need .0002 at base and also at 3-6 inches out.? Now we are talking real collets at $250-$600 each.
Welcome to my world. Life is maybe 2000-5000 clamps before oh poop. One endmill or drill every 30 to 90 seconds.

Whew, that's rough. What do you do with them when they've reached their end of life?

You do not want 7/8" or 1" R8 collets. Properly designed R8 collets stop at 3/4", though some larger sizes are made for people who do not know better. For those size shanks, get Weldon-style end mill holders, the ones with set screws. Do not waste money on double ended end mills with shanks over 3/4" because they do not fit R8 tooling unless you cut them in half. If I want a big end mill, like a 1", I get one with a 5/8" or 3/4" shank.

Larry
Exactly. Hardinge makes and sells 7/8" and 1" R8 collets. The 7/8" collet has about 3/4" of tool engagement and the 1" collet has about 1/4" of tool engagement. Any deeper weakens the collet, while making the collet longer gives it too much flex.

Some years ago I bought a lyndex 7/8" collet for my Bridgeport, for a 1-off job, it worked just fine and no concerns about quality. I wouldnt hesistate to buy more of theirs regardless of size, though nowadays I tend to go for ER32 in a collet chuck.

The best collets I've bought are the PBA Crawford....definitely a cut above the average Chinese collet and lower in price than a 'real' name collet.

Everytime I've asked McMaster for a manufacturer or part number they've sent me the information within 30 minutes. The last e32 collet I got from them was Lyndex.

Back