What's new
What's new

Measuring a ring gauge ?

It would be interesting to set a nice bore gauge to a real ring gauge then compare that to a block stack of the same size were the centering feet are not in use.

My guess is you would see a difference even with a best tools

If you look close enough, there are always differences in any measuring equipment. If you don’t see it with a micron gauge, get into nanometers and you’ll see it.

We have ring gauges and blocks, all things considered rings “should” always be better, assuming they were right to start, held at the right and same temperature as the part measured, and still in new condition. Blocks will always add multiple variables (and tolerance stack up) that you don’t have with a ring, but I suspect a very large percentage of manufacturing don’t have to split microns too often and if they do they invest in a gauge for that exact measurement.

Depending on how deep you want to go, Robin Renzetti has a great video where he walks through calculating the contact deflection of his gage ball and the sphere he is measuring.

What are you trying to measure? Circularity in one plane? Circularity in multiple planes? Cylindricity? Taper? Etc.........

You can't define your measurement technique unless you define what you want to measure. I don't know what is important to you from an accuracy standpoint - you need to define that. Many of the techniques discussed will only address one or some of the measurements and may miss what is important to you.

Back