What's new
What's new

Measuring edge chamfers on the shop floor. Suggestions or ideas.

dandrummerman21

Stainless
Does anyone have any experience or opinion on these chamfer gages from insize?

They are about 200$ on a few websites. There's also copies on aliexpress/ebay that look more like the harbor freight type calipers.

I've never seen or heard of insize before. Apparently they are chinese.

So I have a job on the shop floor which requires checking several 45 degree chamfers to +/- .005".

I have a comparator on the shop floor but I wish I could trust the operator to check it well. One chamfer is about 1/8" tall along a part that's 2" long but they struggle with getting it focused well. He'll be okay for now but I would love to have a handheld tool to check against to agree.

I saw this on google and thought it was pretty nifty but figured I would ask here.

If anyone else has a different handheld way to check these repeatably, I'm open to suggestions.

Edit: does anyone make 45 degree "hard chamfer gages" that look like radius gages do? If they did, they might be perfect for some jobs I do. Maybe not this one.

As you note, optical comparator is likely the best, but does require some degree of careful part setup. I have not seen or used this particular Insize chamfer gage, but I have one of their tenth-reading DTIs, and it seems OK. I bought it when I needed something quickly, and it works fine. I am a one-person shop, so I can be careful with stuff.... Looks like an OK idea, if the tool is made well.
I typically measure chamfers on external edges with a flat/square reference block against one face of the edge-chamfered part, and use a .010-division scale on the other face, under magnification, to see where the chamfer edge is relative to the scale with end up against the reference block. You can easily discern a couple of thousandths, as long as you have a known-good scale. One of those shop-type microscopes with a measuring reticle would also work well, although depth of focus might be an issue on large chamfers. Measuring loupe may be easier to use. Links for general reference, no affiliation --

We use something like this. Its repeatability is good, even our copy for $30 or so. I think you will need to measure the first part on the comparator, then measure with this "bevel gauge" and add some correction value.
The link specs +-.06mm accuracy which is half your total tolerance. Not a good place to start. I agree with above for sure.

It will take a lot of care by the operator to get good results. This caliper is a neat idea but I suspect very difficult to get repeat measurements.

Please tell us what size chamfer! .100 x 45 can be measured in ways .001 x 45 cannot.

With good eyes you can measure very close just depth miking to the corner of the chamfer. With magnification even better. Try it you might be surprised.

Or lay the part on a plate chamfer down, shoved up against a vertical surface. In the right triangle space that is formed you can backfigure chamfer size by pin that fits. Figure high and low pins and you've got a quick, foolproof check.

The part is basically a 1/2 x2.5" rectangle with radiused ends. There's also a round post with grooves sticking out of it. 2 chamfers on the long edges are .120/.130 and all other edges need a .02/.03 edge break.

Or lay the part on a plate chamfer down, shoved up against a vertical surface. In the right triangle space that is formed you can backfigure chamfer size by pin that fits. Figure high and low pins and you've got a quick, foolproof check.

This is a great idea! I'm using this for this job.

I use a depth mic on occasion setting to high and low for quick ref. The pin and plate method sound accurate and fast. great idea.

Does anyone have any experience or opinion on these chamfer gages from insize?

They are about 200$ on a few websites. There's also copies on aliexpress/ebay that look more like the harbor freight type calipers.

I've never seen or heard of insize before. Apparently they are chinese.

So I have a job on the shop floor which requires checking several 45 degree chamfers to +/- .005".

I have a comparator on the shop floor but I wish I could trust the operator to check it well. One chamfer is about 1/8" tall along a part that's 2" long but they struggle with getting it focused well. He'll be okay for now but I would love to have a handheld tool to check against to agree.

I saw this on google and thought it was pretty nifty but figured I would ask here.

If anyone else has a different handheld way to check these repeatably, I'm open to suggestions.

Edit: does anyone make 45 degree "hard chamfer gages" that look like radius gages do? If they did, they might be perfect for some jobs I do. Maybe not this one.
We use vision systems that can handle this. Keyence IM or LM, but Oasis vision systems can handle external chamfers well.

We use vision systems that can handle this. Keyence IM or LM, but Oasis vision systems can handle external chamfers well.
Those are slick and would love to have those, but they are pricey for what we do.

As for the pin gages, I've got 2 sets of gages for my chamfers and it works perfectly. .065/.070 for the big chamfer and .012/.017 for the small ones. I also have the comparator to check but the hard gage gives me confidence that we won't have a bunch of parts needing rework.

Awful simple way that I wish I had thought of sooner. Thanks guythatbrews.

And I think I will be buying a cheapo caliper type gage to try out. Might take a month to get here and this job will be gone by then.

Back