What's new
What's new

Metal disintegrators

Big T

Plastic
My shop is looking to possibly buy an electric arc metal disintegration machine to remove broken drills and taps to save expensive parts that would otherwise be scrapped.

For those of you who've used these machines, which in your opinion are the best brands and what should I be looking for in a decent machine? I'm familiar with brand names like Camman and Electro-Arc, but know very little about these machines. We need a machine with a lot of column height and stroke, as we frequently need to remove broken drills in 24 - 36" deep holes.

My apologies if this post is in the wrong forum. I couldn't decide which forum was the correct location for this thread, and since the process is similar to EDM, I felt this was the best place to post my question.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Big T,
I own one of these units. It's a Cammann. Mine will accept about 3 foot under the head, but some are capable of over twice that because they have a t-slot base and sump mounted to the unit that's at floor level, as well as the bench level table. The superstucture is easy to raise and lower, as well as locating to the hole. The main problem I see with your app. is the amount of downfeed you say you need. Mine is about 6'', but some may have more.
If you're serious about one of these, you could call Cammann at: 440-965-4051. Their factory is right around the corner from me. Ask for Hank Cammann. He's a pretty cool guy. Tell him I sent ya. Tell him your situation and I'll bet he comes up with something. They also have a portable unit with a magnetic base.
The workmanship on these machines is beautiful.
Ray

Thanks for the feedback, Ray! I'll give 'em a call.

Tom,
We do core out taps with carbide drills, endmills, and burrs, but depending on the tap size, depth of the broken piece, length of the broken piece, and angle of the broken surface, that isn't always practical, and it's easy to break a lot of tools getting the tap drilled out, especially on small diameter taps.

I have an Electro Arc that works well for us. The quill has 8" of travel but the quill is a simple tube with rack teeth cut into it so it looks like an easy job to make one with more travel. I wonder though if it's possible to get electrodes 24"-36" long.

I have an Electro Arc that works well for us. The quill has 8" of travel but the quill is a simple tube with rack teeth cut into it so it looks like an easy job to make one with more travel. I wonder though if it's possible to get electrodes 24"-36" long.

Cammann has 12'' rods, plus you can get an electrode extension. Don't remember how long.

Back