What's new
What's new

Metal "shavings"

CITIZEN F16

Titanium
The scrap yard I use call them turnings. Does it really matter, if we are all aware of what the person speaking is referring to?

thermite

Diamond
The scrap yard I use call them turnings. Does it really matter, if we are all aware of what the person speaking is referring to?

Hell, YES it matters!

Going into six years of politics all over the dreadful news and two-years of worse-yet COVID?

It would be right WELCOME comic relief someone goes all OCD over BIPARTISAN scrap metal .... and stages a "non-denominational" hunger-strike!

"Don't-give-a-damn America" at it's egalitarian finest!

:D

DDoug

Diamond
I work for a tier 1 (we supply to OEM's) automotive supplier.

What do you think of everyone at our plant calling chips/turnings "metal shavings"?

For me its one of those things that doesn't really matter, but seems indicative of an overall poor training environment. It probably doesn't help that our chip control is pretty atrocious.

Maybe the area used to have allot of woodworking industry ?

CITIZEN F16

Titanium
IF they have 5S in place, it's called scrap and it better be on a truck heading to the scrap yard regardless what it is called!!!:ack2:

I put the solids in what I call scrap cans or buckets, every once in a while I will reclaim some and make small runs of parts with it. So were those pieces really never scrap or did I make parts out of scrap? Or if it is over a certain size is it a remnant? Please discuss,......................

DDoug

Diamond
A wood worker will call a chamfer or corner break a bevel. If you want some totally odd nomenclature, work around a bunch of people across the pond, those wankers are an odd bunch.

Uhm yeahh....Chamfers/Bevel's weren't even brought up...don't know what your smoking today.

"Shavings" is what woodworkers sometimes call wood scrap from a machine tool.
And "Shavings" is what the OP is asking about.

thermite

Diamond
A wood worker will call a chamfer or corner break a bevel. If you want some totally odd nomenclature, work around a bunch of people across the pond, those wankers are an odd bunch.

They've gone and dug a moat around Illinois now, have they!

Best news I've heard all year!

:)

Take a close look at Germanic language terms some time. A "word" can be a whole list of instructions. More of them accurate than are not.

English-English derivations, similar.

We say "brakes". What broke? Brit might say "retarders". German "bremsen"

We say "first-stage burnout on a rocket booster. Which can be a catastrophic failure. Or not.

German "burn cessation" (brennschluss) is more accurate.

We say "bat". Not the same as a stick used in a ball game, is it? "Fledermaus" is a flitter mouse - the way a bat flies, and right obvious.

By the way, '"As American as baseball (English guy) hot dogs (continental Europe) Apple pie (same again) and Chevrolet?

Well, "chevrolet" is another of the many "occupationally derived" surnames.

Swiss-French. One who tends GOATS!

Sooo..... where one stands on an issue can depend on which "sitzplatz" yer "assed-up" on, ja?.

Can we get that hunger-strike over the chips vs 'shavings" issue now?

Some of we lot are going rudely lard-ass over too much time at keyboard, not enough time-out for a healthy shag now and then.

thermite

Diamond
We "Cut down a tree"
and then we "cut it up into firewood"....:D

Good on yah fer exercise and Pennsyltucky traditional economy. Don't fergit to "outten the light" after fixing a "mess" of kartoffel puree, "schlaffen-off" or "turning in" for the night.

:)

Kalifornickyans cain't be bothered to invest in them durable Amish-built woodstoves.

Burn the whole dam' forest down before they'd lift an ignorant brush-hook and risk harm to endangered poison-ivy...

Even offer a lame-ass EXCUSE, not even a lie?

Some Silly-cone Alley billionaire will sue yer ass for patent violation, and lose HIS ass off the back of a Politician demonstrating "prior art" and superior technology at it.

:(

Bobw

Diamond
The best way to spice up a relationship, and guarantee your peace and
quiet for a night on the couch, is to have the Carriage/Cart argument,
then throw in the Sub/Grinder argument just to top it all off.

She *almost* had me convinced that I was crazy, "Was it really a 'carriage',
or was I imagining things, maybe I am crazy, maybe I should have another beer"..

Then I went back East and I was heading into the grocery store with my Dad, and
he said "Hey, grab a carriage"... That was such a huge relief.. OMG!!!! I'm
NOT CRAZY... And she *almost* had me convinced. Almost.

Strostkovy

Stainless
Well if your cutting tool is shaving off material, you're doing okay. If it is chipping off material, maybe not okay.

thermite

Diamond
The best way to spice up a relationship, and guarantee your peace and
quiet for a night on the couch, is to have the Carriage/Cart argument,
then throw in the Sub/Grinder argument just to top it all off.

She *almost* had me convinced that I was crazy, "Was it really a 'carriage',
or was I imagining things, maybe I am crazy, maybe I should have another beer"..

Then I went back East and I was heading into the grocery store with my Dad, and
he said "Hey, grab a carriage"... That was such a huge relief.. OMG!!!! I'm
NOT CRAZY... And she *almost* had me convinced. Almost.

Phhht. A(ny) woman as CANNOT convince you you is crazy at least temp'rarily, ain't much fun to share a blanket with, no how!

Given they Momma's advise all our brains have to be scrunched into our glans, no surprise they don't expect a great deal of brilliance, either.

"Men NEVER 'go bald'!"

"Their hair just reverses direction of growth, fills their empty skull, leaks out of their nose and EARS!"

Scruffy887

Titanium
WTF is this discussion sinking to? Next we will discuss if toilet paper should pay out over the top, or from under the bottom of the roll? Followed my merits of 2 ply or single ply?

thermite

Diamond
WTF is this discussion sinking to? Next we will discuss if toilet paper should pay out over the top, or from under the bottom of the roll? Followed my merits of 2 ply or single ply?

Easily HALF way there already, given we have categorized a**holes to a high degree of accuracy.

You have to know Machinashits and their love for precision and fine metrology?

DDoug

Diamond

Over the top, always.

The tail to grab is held away from the wall, keeping your dirty fingerprints off said wall....DUH