What's new
What's new

Method to remove, clean and replace oil sight gauge on my L&S 18 x 54 PowerTurn headstock

steve-l

Titanium
This gauge is located on the front rear side of the headstock and it should allow the user to monitor the dripping of return pumped oil which oils the headstock gears and bearings. Mine is so dirty it is not possible to see the dripping oil Can it be removed and cleaned without destroying it and if so, how? If not where can I find a replacement?

A photo of the sight gage would help, but assuming it is the typical round gage, glass (or clear plastic) front, then it's probably easier to replace it with new instead of trying to clean it. I've had mixed results trying to clean them, especially if they're badly gunked up on the inside.

Here's a good source: Fluid Line Systems, Toledo OH

Steve Watkins did a youtube video on replacing these types of sight glasses: How to Change a Oil Window in an Old Machine Tool

Reactions: Ox
My American Hole Wizard had a yellowed sight gauge of the type with a bolt on cover. For a temporary measure I cut a replacement out of a piece of clear clamshell packaging. 10+ years later its still clear and oil tight.

I've replaced some of the bijur-type oil sight windows in machines where the hole is a through-hole of full diameter (e.g., on K&T 205sa), and it was possible to tap on the edge of the sight glass and get it to pivot and come out without breaking it.

Others have those sight glasses pressed up against a shoulder and likely the destructive method is necessary (seal puller etc.).

if you can get access to the sight glass from the rear without too much trouble, some people have suggested feeding a pipe cleaner into the hole and scrubbing the inside may clean it somewhat. I've not had much luck with that.

Back