What's new
What's new

Metric button/round head socket cap screws with a deeper than normal head

gregormarwick

Diamond
I am looking for round/button head socket cap screws with a head that is about twice as thick as the commonly available ISO 7380 ones. Specifically M6 and M8.

I have a VMC (Korean built, Hyundai-Wia) that is covered in these, specifically all the slide covers and enclosure panels, and I want to replace a lot of them.

The M6 ones for example, have a head depth of ~5.5mm as opposed to only 3mm on standard ones. Obviously the hex is deeper and more robust on these, which is why I would like to replace like for like. Parts list does not specify a standard for the screws, just the basic size.

I can't find a standard that covers screws with these head dimensions, nor anything like them by basic googling.

Anyone have any clues?

You may have to make your own from SHCS.
I was playing with Amazon this morning. Their screw/bolt search function is retarded. You can look for size and pitch or you can look for head, length, material etc. But not both at the same time.
Bill D

The 8020 screws are generically "button head large flange". While the head+flange is definitely deeper than a normal button head, I'm not sure the hex recess is proportionally deep. Also the large flange may not physically fit in some spaces!

I'll take a look in the AutoCAD inventor content library tomorrow when I get to work it has a pretty comprehensive listing of all the fasteners and standards in there. If I find something I will post it here with the sizes and applicable standard.

I am looking for round/button head socket cap screws with a head that is about twice as thick as the commonly available ISO 7380 ones. Specifically M6 and M8.

I have a VMC (Korean built, Hyundai-Wia) that is covered in these, specifically all the slide covers and enclosure panels, and I want to replace a lot of them.

The M6 ones for example, have a head depth of ~5.5mm as opposed to only 3mm on standard ones. Obviously the hex is deeper and more robust on these, which is why I would like to replace like for like. Parts list does not specify a standard for the screws, just the basic size.

I can't find a standard that covers screws with these head dimensions, nor anything like them by basic googling.

Anyone have any clues?
I looked on the Misumi website. Looks like they are called Button bolt with hexagonal hole.

Thanks for the replies guys, I thought there might be some JIS substandard or something that I wasn't aware of, but it seems these are just odd screws. It's a shame because they are far better than standard button heads.

I'm not going to replace them with torx heads because these are going into places where you sometimes need a ball hex key.

I had a look on Misumi, but I can't find any that are the same. They had a few with slightly thicker heads (4mm vs 3.3 for M6), but basically the same as standard dimensions. The head on the screws out of this machine are just generally all round bigger - 12mm diameter vs 10.5 etc.

I suppose I'll just have to use standard screws and deal with the hexes rounding out.

Patience grasshopper 😀. I'll look at Inventor tomorrow. I'm pretty sure the Koreans wouldn't use non standard items.

I made an interesting discovery while working on a Kent surface grinder. UNC with metric hex's. The customer probably said UNC fastener's and the Taiwanese thought its perfectly logical to have UNC threads with metric heads because they have metric allen key's. Makes sense in a weird kind of way.

Seems so unlikely that they make custom screws. Dunno if Viktors number is right but it does seem there should be one
And why don't they make ball drive torx....it ought to work....

ISO 4762 is way more common here i EU than ISO 7380.

4762 heads are as tall as the metric screw size, ie. M6 have a head max 6 mm high. Though I've noticed often times they are a tad bit under.

So I went down the rabbit hole and explored the fastener world when I should be running parts. Inventor had nothing but I found a awesome site called GlobalFastener that has CAD and specs on more fasteners than you can poke a stick at so I registered. Only fastener I could find was a Hexolobular (Torx) even spell check gets hung up on that one. Standard is NF E 25-109 - 2001 for the one with a higher head.

I made an interesting discovery while working on a Kent surface grinder. UNC with metric hex's. The customer probably said UNC fastener's and the Taiwanese thought its perfectly logical to have UNC threads with metric heads because they have metric allen key's. Makes sense in a weird kind of way.
I have a Kent grinder. I'll have to check it out.
Dave

Back