What's new
What's new

Metric threading on a late Pacemaker?

Garwood

Diamond
I am doing work on large hydraulic cylinders regularly. Most of these have metric threads for the piston. Some of these I have even repaired by welding up the rod threads oversize, cutting new inch threads and cutting the piston for inch threads. I just had a job come in for a pair of main boom cylinders with bent rods off a large processor and of coarse, they're metric.

Anyone know if American lathes ever had any literature explaining the gearing to cut metric threads on a Pacemaker? Or has anyone figured it out by themselves?

My Pacemaker is a 1967 square head style with 14"(20") swing.

Thanks for any help!

If i remember correctly, metric threading was available. Just required changing two gears. They are rare if i remember right, but could be made.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Older Parts book (Bulletin 20) show metric gearing (and parts) for entire QC gear box pages 22 , 23. 26 and 27 in that Bul. 20

Thanks to Greg Menke, we have this

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/atw/atw-pacemaker-parts-bulletin-20-1966.pdf

have fun

I am doing work on large hydraulic cylinders regularly. Most of these have metric threads for the piston. Some of these I have even repaired by welding up the rod threads oversize, cutting new inch threads and cutting the piston for inch threads. I just had a job come in for a pair of main boom cylinders with bent rods off a large processor and of coarse, they're metric.

Anyone know if American lathes ever had any literature explaining the gearing to cut metric threads on a Pacemaker? Or has anyone figured it out by themselves?

Thanks for any help!

Fascinating. So they made an inch lathe and they made a Metric lathe. Did they not make an inch leadscrew machine with optional gearing and threading chart to cut metric pitches with an inch leadscrew?

My American has the chart for English and metric . I can take a picture tomorrow for the OP if it will be of any help. My lathe just has a lever to switch from English to metric so I'm not sure it will do the trick, but it might be of some use.

Fascinating. So they made an inch lathe and they made a Metric lathe. Did they not make an inch leadscrew machine with optional gearing and threading chart to cut metric pitches with an inch leadscrew?

Thanks for any help!

We have been running into a lot of metric threads lately also. A lot of overseas equipment anymore in the US. We chose to purchase an American with English, Metric threading several years ago because of that. We got ours from Yoder's. Will post a picture of the gear change tomorrow.

Thanks for any help!

I forgot to mention the rods are metric sizes. You probably know that already, but we keep a full line of English and a full line of metric chrome rods in stock. We buy them from Team Tube Chicago. Also our English, Metric is a 1978.

Do note pages 26 and 27 ( in Bulletin 20) are about SHIFTING - and I'll have to guess that is from Imperial to Metric and back again

These folks may have more info or even parts - no doubt with some price tag

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...re/american/&usg=AOvVaw0bZVr0C6A8FiYGtw5I90e2

have fun

Here is an interesting bit in a post above

My lathe just has a lever to switch from English to metric so I'm not sure it will do the trick, but it might be of some use.

A simple look at the related pages ( in Bul. 20 ) will show one that even the CONE SHAFTS are entirely different parts

Do note pages 26 and 27 ( in Bulletin 20) are about SHIFTING - and I'll have to guess that is from Imperial to Metric and back again

These folks may have more info or even parts - no doubt with some price tag

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...re/american/&usg=AOvVaw0bZVr0C6A8FiYGtw5I90e2

have fun

Here is an interesting bit in a post above

A simple look at the related pages ( in Bul. 20 ) will show one that even the CONE SHAFTS are entirely different
parts

I deleted my post because Johns post cleared up that there is more than two gears involved.
I missed his post by two minutes

I know about as close to zero as you can get about using change gears. However I have a set of what I think are un-used gears, still have cosmoline on them. Unknown origin or application, other than USA made. I started a thread here on them, and you can see tooth counts:
Help Identifying Change Gears

I'm willing to ship at my cost, to anyone who wants to trade me. I'd like two Aloris Brand CA-1 holders shipped to me. Can be used, but hopefully decent condition.

Could be you need to sort out shaft size bore for mounting them. But if anyone needs specs, feel free to contact me.

I know about as close to zero as you can get about using change gears. However I have a set of what I think are un-used gears, still have cosmoline on them. Unknown origin or application, other than USA made. I started a thread here on them, and you can see tooth counts:

I'm willing to ship at my cost, to anyone who wants to trade me. I'd like two Aloris Brand CA-1 holders shipped to me. Can be used, but hopefully decent condition.

Could be you need to sort out shaft size bore for mounting them. But if anyone needs specs, feel free to contact me.
Definitely Pratt & Whitney, or the box is anyway. Labeling and box construction/paint match other P&W products.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

127 M-1694 English to metric

M-1694 is a 12" Model C Lathe

I have been trying to send this picture with not much luck. Hopefully it works this time.

Attachments

• IMG_20220119_115633.jpg
    IMG_20220119_115633.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 46
This is the second of the two levers that have to be switched.

Attachments

• IMG_20220119_115718.jpg
    IMG_20220119_115718.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 40
Very interesting! In the last picture that upper lever doesn't exist on mine, but there is a boss there for it.

My American has the chart for English and metric . I can take a picture tomorrow for the OP if it will be of any help. My lathe just has a lever to switch from English to metric so I'm not sure it will do the trick, but it might be of some use.

How's chances of photos of the selecting levers and their positions in relation to the QC box? At least we can see how it was done on the "F" style Pacemakers

Here is a rotated chart

View attachment 339921

Very interesting! In the last picture that upper lever doesn't exist on mine, but there is a boss there for it.

I wish the picture would have come out more clearly tomorrow I will try again.I believe the upper lever is the thread/feed switch and the lower level is English/metric. I know not everyone has the room or money, but if you get a chance to purchase one it also has dial mics on every handle. English and metric. I'll try to get a picture for you.

I wish the picture would have come out more clearly tomorrow I will try again.I believe the upper lever is the thread/feed switch and the lower level is English/metric. I know not everyone has the room or money, but if you get a chance to purchase one it also has dial mics on every handle. English and metric. I'll try to get a picture for you.

That was suppose to say " dual mics"

Back