What's new
What's new

Metric threading on an Axelson

mmarquette

Cast Iron
I have aquired a Axelson 20W. I've been searching for the metric thread charts and have not been able to find an image of one. Was hoping it would have the tooth counts needed and arrangement. I started to go through tonylathes gear selection site but am having trouble trouble getting anywhere with that. If anyone has any info would be greatly appreciated . I think the Axelson would make a great metric threading lathe because of the forward reverse clutch it has

In general it involves replacing the idler gear between the stud gear and the gear box gear with a compound that results in a new relationship between spindle and QC box.

This is improved upon by having interchangeable stud gear tooth counts

This Monarch chart gives an idea

00Y0Y_hZKdUT72RXa_0x20oM_1200x900.jpg

Note the the gearing arrangement illustrations on the ends of the chart - and such quite often require a differing part (sector?) that mounts such gears

I have aquired a Axelson 20W. I've been searching for the metric thread charts and have not been able to find an image of one. Was hoping it would have the tooth counts needed and arrangement. I started to go through tonylathes gear selection site but am having trouble trouble getting anywhere with that. If anyone has any info would be greatly appreciated . I think the Axelson would make a great metric threading lathe because of the forward reverse clutch it has

Thank you John but I do understand what is involved to get there just can't seem to locate the info like I can on Hendey lathes. I made a set for my 12\30 . Had the tooth counts figured out the gear pitch then did some math and started to work. Tony's site has a calculator but needs some info that is difficult to aquire . I have to input the gear tooth count of the quick change gearbox gears and it's not exactly easy to see. Got some user manuals on Addison but they just say " metric change gears available" Not even a picture as to the arrangement like the one you put up.

I found that very odd. Know it's alot never counted. Found that info also,, has all the equations to figure out standard. Don't know why they wouldn't put the metric in there .

Well, its a 4 TPI lead screw (see page 14). If one simply added a 100 tooth to the 127 to make a compound - and the QC was set o 4 TPI, the lathe would cut a 5 mm thread

This is because 127 and 100 make for a 1.27 to 1 ratio and .250 (the lead screw pitch) divided by 1.27 is .19685, or 5 mm

8 TPI QC setting gets you 2.5 mm - and so on - when you run out of useful possibilities, you shift over to a differing stud gear like Monarch did above

Oh - and forget about the threading dial and opening of half nuts

On Edit - you can plainly see that by and by you can make your own chart of what happens with what gears and QC positioning

Last edited:
That is getting somewhere. If I already have the 127 that’s a ton of work already done . The 100 is a lot too but easier to do . Figure I’ll need 2/3 others to get all the mm pitches . The lathe threading math just doesn’t work in my mind . Math was /is never my thing . I’m going to reach out to swatkins he seems to have a thing for these Axelsons I’ve made a template of the teeth have not determined pitch yet . That will get me looking for usable stock at least and some cutters

pitch of the 127 is 129 divided by mic OD

Here is an example

32 teeth, 2.125 OD

34 divided by 2.125 = 16 Diametral pitch (DP)

Naturally any gear that runs with the 127 - like stud and gearbox gears - are also the DP of the 127

This is not that hard.
The 127 teeth gets you into metric close enough -- for normal work.

Just look at the rise / gear and you have it.

Metric is calculated differently from imperial.
It is rise/mm, not turns/inch (imp).

So if a 20 teeth gear gets you say 1.0 mm, a 30 tooth gets you 2/3 == 0.66 mm.
And 40 teeth gets you 0.5 mm, or 2/4 = 0.5 x 1.00 mm = 0.5 mm.

There are typically only about 6 rises in most normal metric threads, microscopes and leadscrews apart.
And 0.25 mm differences between them. Mostly.

Oddly enough, I've just been through this exercise with my antique Sidney. This is what I came up with. The 1.75 pitch would probably be achievable by changing the stud gear but I'm not even certain I'll do this so I haven't figured that one out. The Sidney also has a 4 tpi lead screw.

Metric threading chart.jpg

In the written test for an engineering diploma,you needed to be able to calculate feeds, TPI,metric leads ,and module leads from several sets of given lathe details,and from first principles.....the more advanced student had to calculate a modification of lead by use of a taper turning attachment,and tailstock offset.......the point of this was allowance for shrinkage in moulds.

Attaboy Joe!

Thanks for confirmation about what happens in 8 TPI with 127/100 and 4 TPI lead screw

8 TPI QC setting gets you 2.5 mm

Oddly enough, I've just been through this exercise with my antique Sidney. This is what I came up with. The 1.75 pitch would probably be achievable by changing the stud gear but I'm not even certain I'll do this so I haven't figured that one out. The Sidney also has a 4 tpi lead screw.

View attachment 342733

Back