What's new
What's new

Metric tread chasing "dial" for imperial leadscrew - new design

MasterSpoon

Plastic
Hello

I wish to start by saying that I am not asking if there is an off the shelf item I can buy. I am presenting a design idea. This post will also be quite long..... so sorry about that.

About me and the problem
So I recently purchased a lathe with the intention to learn how to use one, I am not a machinist but love building stuff and making things. I work mostly in Metric so it is important that I can cut metric threads. The lathe that I purchased has a 8 TPI imperial lead screw. Youtube was my friend to teach me how to cut threads on a lathe, problem was that I did as all the video's said and engaged the 1/2 nuts at the same spot on the threading dial each time but it wasn't working. I wondered if I had overlooked something and went back to research. I quickly found that what all the tutorials I had watched failed to mention was that the thread chasing dial doesn't work for metric threads. The general consensus was that to cut metric threads with an imperial lead screw that you just leave the 1/2 nuts engaged, stop the lathe, back the tool out, reverse the lathe, stop the lathe, put the tool back in, run the lathe forward, rinse and repeat. The big problem with this is if your threading to a shoulder, which lets face it, is likely to be most of the time, then you have to hope that the lathe stops in time before the tool crashes into the work. I also found that the finish on the thread was better when running say 250 rpm rather then 50 rpm. I didn't like my chances of the lathe stopping before crashing, so this won't work.

I did find someone talk about a work around / another method, very similar to the leave the half nuts engaged, but is engage it on a number on the threading dial, at the end of the thread disengage the half nuts and stop the lathe straight away. Back the tool out, put the lathe in reverse, get the same number on the threading dial when the lathe is running backwards. Then the rest is the same as the method of keeping the half nuts engaged. This removes the risk of crashing the tool and provided that you stop the lathe straight away so the dial doesn't go around a few times should be good at keeping your spot. While this sounds great I still much prefer the idea of a thread chasing dial.....

In my searches I found references to Metradial metradial
There is a tutorial on this site and a couple of threads about using them. This looks great but also kinda scary, it looks expensive (well too expensive for the home user anyway) and only works with certain lathes. This had me thinking there must be a better way. So I went to the drawing board. The first thing that I needed to understand fully is exactly what a thread chasing dial does and why it doesn't work with metric.

The Math & theory behind a thread chasing dial
My lathe is a China / Import lathe, it had a 8 TPI lead screw. All the math / explanation below will be based on my lathe however will transfer to other lathes as the theory is all the same.

The point of a thread chasing dial is to make sure that the threading tool is in sync with the existing thread that you are making further cuts on. So basically at a set distance the angle of the headstock is correct. It is in effect a counter, on my lathe we know that when 8 threads have gone past a set point that it has traveled 1 inch.

The big difference between a metric thread and an imperial thread is how the thread is defined. An imperial thread is designated by how many turns it has over a 1 inch length where as a metric thread is designated by how long a single thread is. Eg a 3/8-24 imperial thread will have 24 turns over a 1 inch length vs a M10 x 1 will have a thread length of 1mm so 25.4 turns to an inch. On a lathe with an imperial lead screw and thread chasing dial they normally have a gear that has 2 x lead screw TPI. For my 8TPI lead screw that means that my thread chasing dial has 16 teeth on its gear.

How it works for imperial threads is fairly simple. For 1 full rotation of the thread chasing dial (16 teeth) the lead screw has traveled 2 inch, a 1/2 turn (8 teeth) = 1 inch. As imperial threads are defined by how many threads per inch this means that provided the thread being cut is a whole number not a fractional thread then every 1 inch of travel the thread will line up. Remember regardless of what thread pitch you are cutting the thread dial will always tell you the exact same information, eg 1/2 rotation = I have traveled 1 inch, full rotation = I have traveled 2 inch, 1/4 rotation = I have traveled 1/2 inch. The half nuts can be engaged the same amount of times per inch of travel as the lead screw TPI. So for my 8 TPI lead screw it can be engaged 8 times.

Understanding the above about how it works with imperial you start to realize that there can be several points in a rotation of the threading dial to engage it. There is no formula to work out minimum its just brute force calculations. For my 8TPI lead screw / 16 tooth dial gear If it had enough lines I could choose between 2 inch (full turn), 1 inch (half turn), 1/2 inch (quarter turn), 1/4 inch (one eighths turn), 1/8th inch (one sixteenth turn). To work out if you can use that distance is simple, can the thread you are cutting be divided by the distance traveled and come out with a whole number . So lets take 20 TPI for example, 2 inch = 40 teeth, 1 inch = 20, 1/2 inch = 10 teeth, 1/4 inch = 5 teeth, 1/8 inch = 2.5 teeth. This means you would be able to use all by the 1/8th inch / one sixteenth turns of the threading dial. Lets try 24 TPI, 2 inch = 48, 1 inch = 24, 1/2 inch = 12, 1/4 inch = 6, 1/8th inch = 3, this actually means that with a 8 TPI lead screw cutting 24 TPI (or any number that can be divided by 8 and be a whole number) you don't actually need the threading dial, any engagement point will work. Ok one more lets do 9 1/2 TPI, 2 inch = 19, 1 inch = 9.5, 1/2 inch = 4.75, 1/4 inch = 2.375, 1/8 inch = 1.1875, the only whole number is on 2 inch which means cutting this thread you would need to pick a spot and stick to it.

So now that we understand how it works with imperial lets look at metric and why a conventional one will not work. As we know 1 inch = 25.4mm, remember the thread chasing dial will not change what it shows regardless of thread. It is still showing you what distance has passed / how many teeth have gone past on the lead screw. We can establish that for each tooth the distance traveled is 1 inch / TPI = 25.4mm / 8 TPI in my case = 3.175mm per tooth. We can only engage the half nuts on each thread turn, which means we can only engage the 1/2 nuts every 3.175mm.

As the thread chasing dial will only ever tell us the same thing we then need to work out how many rotations of the headstock will get everything lined up again. So for the moment don't think of calculating lead screw rotations, we are calculating headstock rotations. For say a 1mm thread for each tooth / full rotation of the lead screw the head stock will spin 3.175 times. We need a whole number of turns before we can re-engage the 1/2 nuts again to make sure we are picking up the correct threads. In my searches I kept coming across the number 127. Not sure exactly how this came into play I made a quick excel spread sheet, first cell of travel per rotation in mm (3.175) in this case, used excel to populate down that column and add a rotation for each new row. In the next column I had excel divide the distance by the thread pitch as this would tell us total head stock rotations. I noticed that regardless of what thread pitch I put in the first whole number was always 127. I also found that the smaller the thread pitch the fewer turns of the lead screw required. I came up with the formula of

Number of teeth to count on leadscrew = (127 x metric thread pitch) / distance per rotation of lead screw in mm

So lets do a quick example, nice and simple 1mm pitch
number of teeth on leadscrew = (127 x 1mm) / 3.175 = 127 / 3.175 = 40
This means that the headstock has turned 127 times, this has turned the leadscrew 40 times, so 40 x distance per rotation = 127mm. 127 can be divided by 1

What about say 1.25mm
number of teeth = (127 x 1.25mm ) / 3.175 = 158.75 / 3.175 = 50
So headstock turned 127 times, lead screw turned 50 times, 50 x distance per rotation = 158.75 which can be divided by 1.25

Using the above we can see that while a conventional thread chasing dial will not work for metric as its hard to count 40 rotations on a dial wheel that is 16 teeth a rotation, however the theory of counting rotations is still valid. We just need to take a different approach. If your only going to cut 1mm pitch then go nuts and cut a 40 tooth gear, use it 1:1 to a dial and engage on the same number / spot every time and your sweet. But why not get one that will work with ANY thread metric or imperial that you want to cut ?

The Design
If you have been reading this from the start you should have a good idea as to what counting the teeth / rotations of the lead screw can get you and that if you can accurately count teeth then you can chase ANY thread metric or imperial.

This leaves us with what actually ends up being a very cheap and easy thread chasing dial to make. Parts needed are
1 x 10 tooth gear
1 x 10 count / revolution rotary counter, best to get one that will go backwards (anti clockwise results in numbers going down) also and has a reset (*I have not checked if these go backwards* Eg RL Series (small size rotary counter) or RL-219 (large size 5 digit rotary counter) )
and a way to connect the two, something like a flexi shaft would be ideal, maybe a drill or dremel flexi shaft ? If you use a flex shaft then mount the gear on the end, have the gear in mesh with the lead screw, other end connected to the rotary counter and you can mount it somewhere nice and convenient, near the tool post maybe ?

How its used
Pretty simple, set all your gears, do the math using the formula above to calculate how many turns of the lead screw you are counting, as the gear is a 10 tooth gear and the rotary counter is 10 count / rotation it means that the rotary counter will be showing you numerically how many teeth have passed.
Engage the 1/2 nut, hit the reset on the rotary counter to get you back to zero
cut the first pass on your thread then disengage the 1/2 nut
retract your tool and move back to the start of the thread, set your tool back in ready
when the number comes up that you calculated earlier re-engage the 1/2 nut, hit the zero again, cut the second pass
rinse and repeat
If you forget to hit the zero on follow up passes its ok, you just have to do more math, the number on the counter will need to be able to be divided by the number of teeth you calculated earlier. eg 1mm thread can use 40, 80, 120, 160, 200, ect ect on the dial

I know this has been a massive post and thank you for anyone that takes the time to read it. I am in the process of making a digital version using a 600 pulse / rotation rotary encoder and Arduino but is still a while off and had the idea for the mechanical one and thought that I would put all the information up for everyone else as information seemed quite limited and someone else may want to make one.

Thanks
Wayne

Nice to know that this has generated some interest

Pics of my setup would be rather uninspiring at the moment, when I have the digital one completed or at least in functional prototype I will get a video of it running.

A problem I see with this scheme is that when closing the half-nut on the imperial leadscrew , the half nut won't engage at just any arbitrary point, but engages at an integral of the leadscrew pitch. Try it yourself by closing the half nut in between those marks on the thread dial.

Don Clement

Don you are 100% correct that the half nuts will not close at "any arbitrary point"

The half nuts will only engage correctly in 1 spot for every leadscrew rotation, If you re-read the part about the math you will see that this is all taken into consideration and is actually the point of counting leadscrew rotations.

Interesting.

So the normal approach when using metric transpose gears is, leave the half nuts engaged. So you cut to the end
of the thread, then reverse the spindle back to the start to do the next cut.

You are saying, it's OK to unlatch the leadscrew IF you can close the halfnuts in the exact correct place. And the
only thing you need to do, is count exactly how many turns of the leadscrew (down to, say, 1/10 of a turn) you
need to move back to reclose.

And a veeder-root counter is just the thing to do that!

I am combing through your post to condense the calculation about how to determine what number comes
up on the counter to get to re-close.

Next question, it would be great if the existing thread dial could be coupled to the counter. My guess is that
if the process works with a ten tooth gear on the leadscrew, it should work with an arbitrary one as well?

Cool idea. Thank you!

>>>>>>>>IF a person really, really needed this, and an INDEPENDENTLY driven electronic leadscrew (substitute) and dual-mode DRO were for some arcane reason, just not-on,

THEN a quick-change leadscrew with a second dial and set of half-nuts (about 4 to 6 inches left of the originals, and on the same bore-axis) would be far the simpler rig.
<<<<<<<<<<<

mcmaster has the counters for 70 bucks, sounds pretty cheap. Sounds like a few hours of machining and a gear, pretty simple

As others have said Cool Idea! However I have a couple of thoughts. You questioned why 127 came up in your calculations. It is because 127mm is exactly 5". So with this info we can greatly simplify your calculation. The calculation will be (5" * number of TPI on lead screw) * Target mm thread.

For 8TPI: 5" * 8TPI * 1.25 = 40*1.25 = 50 40 is the thread factor for 8 TPI. You just have to multiply the target mm thread by 40 to get your number. IE. 0.35mm * 40 = 14, 1.5mm*40=60 etc.etc.

Where your method falls down is for the poor bastards that do not have an 8TPI lead screw. IE 10TPI * 5" = 50 so 50 * 1.25mm = 62.5 - not a whole number. 6TPI
* 5" = 30 so 30 * 1.25mm = 37.5 - not whole.

Not sure why this works so well for 8TPI and not the others. But I have an 8TPI lead screw so I should find some derivation of your method useful. Thanks for posting.

Best Regards,
Bob

Bill I'm not quite sure that you are following the use of this, you talk about independently driven electronic leadscrew and dual mode DRO or a quick change leadscrew as being far simpler options. The design I proposed should cost less then $50 to build a mechanical version and I estimate that my electronic one will cost less then $100. It requires no machine modification, a simple design and really if you made one to suit a 8 TPI thread, provided you could mount the gear to have it in mesh with the leadscrew it could be used on any lathe with the same TPI leadscrew. Also with a metric leadscrew the normal style thread chasing dial will not chase all thread pitches so most will come with several gears for doing different pitches.

Maybe I'm in the wrong place with this idea, maybe this is more of a home shop tool rather then a workshop tool, I mean a CNC lathe completely negates the use of any thread chasing dials.....

Jim, you are correct, I am saying that it's OK to unlatch the half nut. The main difference between metric and imperial threads when it comes to re-engaging the half nuts is how frequently they can be engaged. On a 8 TPI leadscrew cutting say a 20 TPI thread you can engage the half nuts for every 2 rotations of the lead screw ( 8 rotations per inch, 2 rotations = 1/4 inch, with 20 TPI a 1/4 inch will have 5 threads, both whole numbers so good to go). Where as 1.25mm metric which is close to 20 TPI is actually 20.32 TPI and 1/4 inch will be 5.08 TPI. As this is not a whole number it will not line up correctly. This is when you need to use the formula

Number of teeth to count on leadscrew = (127 x metric thread pitch) / distance per rotation of lead screw in mm
so for 1.25mm on 8 TPI leadscrew = (127 x 1.25) / (25.4/8) = 158.75 / 3.175 = 50 lead screw rotations

As you can see the metric threads are much more spaced apart as to when you can engage the 1/2 nuts. This is why it has been commonly accepted to just leave the 1/2 nuts engaged and reverse the lathe as its hard to count 50 rotations and when you move the carriage back and forth this also changes the count. On a 8 TPI leadscrew every 1/8 inch you move the carriage is equivalent to 1 rotation of the leadscrew.

Using the 10 tooth gear is actually only the requirement in the mechanical design because its 10 count per revolution counter. A 10 tooth gear will do 1 rotation per every 10 teeth, so with both the gear and the counter 1/10 a revolution will = 1 rotation of the lead screw. The half nuts will only engage once per revolution, so measuring to 1/10 of a turn is not needed. With the electric one I am working on it will just use a standard 16 tooth gear for the 8 TPI lead screw but I can have the software change the counts per revolution / degree.

Btw if you want to know how I came to less then $50 for mechanical version

Counter off ebay $21 T1 Line Seiki Mechanical Rotary Counter SR 4 SR4 New | eBay
all that you need to go with that is a 10 tooth gear which you can make yourself, so only cost time and a shaft to connect the two.

Btw Bob, my formula works with any TPI lead screw, so should hopefully make it easier for anyone without a 8 TPI leadscrew. Thanks for bringing it to my attention that 5 inch = 127mm, seems like such an obvious answer that was smacking me in the face......

Btw Bob, my formula works with any TPI lead screw, so should hopefully make it easier for anyone without a 8 TPI leadscrew. Thanks for bringing it to my attention that 5 inch = 127mm, seems like such an obvious answer that was smacking me in the face......

MasterSpoon perhaps I'm not following your premise correctly. If I have a 10TPI leadscrew and I punch into your formula:

1 inch / TPI = 25.4mm / 10 TPI in this case = 2.54mm per tooth.

What about say 1.25mm
number of teeth = (127 x 1.25mm ) /2.54 = 158.75 / 2.54 = 62.5 Not a Whole Number

or with the simplification (5" * 10TPI) * (Target mm thread) = 50*1.25mm = 62.5 Not a Whole Number

Please clarify if I'm missing something. Thanks again.

Best Regards,
Bob

What the the metric system needs is threads per centimeter, instead of pitch.

1mm pitch is 10 per cm
1.25 pitch is 8 per cm
2mm pitch is 5 per cm
And so on.

Or perhaps threads per 2.5 centimeters :)

Using pitch as a basis for thread systems doesn't work out well for machinists. I have no idea how mass production deals with it.

The whole "basis" of the metric system was a psuedo-scientific unit defined as being one ten millionth of the distance between the North Pole and the Equator through Paris, but that didn't hold practical (you would need access to Paris), so it's now the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299 792 458 of a second. :rolleyes5:

What a mess.

Of course, all unit systems have a messy history.

I always open the half-nuts, shut off the machine, and then pick up the spot to close in reverse. This works fine and I can thread right to a shoulder. It does suggest that tying a turns counter to the threading dial would be useful if one tended to lose position, because you could always get back to the zero point no matter how far off you went. In practice it just hasn't been an issue. IMO, the whole process will be difficult for the first-timer until they have really mastered imperial threading and can do it in their sleep.

"What do you do if the operator falls asleep and misses the count?"

Same thing as with a thread dial: wait till it comes around again, OR back up and
hit it again.

A quick retract toolholder would be a more elegant solution.
Or a spindle brake.
Or a VFD (they do brake), together with a jog-button. And on the way back, you can easily crank up the speed.

Or more coffee. :)

I do manually thread at 200 RPM (depending on the pitch even higher).

Nick

MasterSpoon perhaps I'm not following your premise correctly. If I have a 10TPI leadscrew and I punch into your formula:

1 inch / TPI = 25.4mm / 10 TPI in this case = 2.54mm per tooth.

What about say 1.25mm
number of teeth = (127 x 1.25mm ) /2.54 = 158.75 / 2.54 = 62.5 Not a Whole Number

or with the simplification (5" * 10TPI) * (Target mm thread) = 50*1.25mm = 62.5 Not a Whole Number

Please clarify if I'm missing something. Thanks again.

Best Regards,
Bob

Thank you for pointing this out Bob, all the calculations I had done had always come up as whole numbers so I didn't realize that there were exceptions to the rule. I have punched the numbers back into the spread sheet for a 10 TPI pitch and have found that if it doesn't line up at 127 turns it will at 256. I think I was half asleep last night when I was reading your formula as yours does work exactly the same as mine and is simpler. It would appear that the easiest solution if the formula doesn't come out with a whole number is just times the answer by 2, this should solve the issue but will negate some of the advantage as you will need to wait twice as long for the marks to align.

In answer to Bill's question about what if the operator falls asleep and misses the count, don't work them so hard ? On a 8 TPI lead screw it will always match at 127 headstock rotations. So if your threading at 50 RPM then yes it will take some time for the marks to align, if your threading at 250 RPM then it would line up every 30 ish seconds. Moving the carriage back to the start of the thread would actually reduce the time needed. It is possible to calculate the actual time passed for a certain RPM and thread length if the operator is able to not miss the mark the 1st time. Lets say 8 TPI lead screw 1.25 thread pitch, 50 mm length of thread. If moving moving the carriage back to the start of the thread would be roughly 16 tooth count. On 1.25mm calculated above that its 50 tooth count, 50 - 16 = 34 left to be counted through head stock rotation. One lead screw rotation would = 1/8th inch = 3.175mm . 3.175 / thread pitch = 3.175 / 1.25 = 2.54 spindle rotations for every lead screw rotation. 34 x 2.54 = 86.36 spindle rotations needed. 250 RPM = Time / spindle RPM = one rotation every 0.24 seconds. Spindle rotations x time per rotation = 86.36 x 0.24 = 20.72 seconds, this is of course working on the basis that the operator is able to catch the thread on the 1st try, If you they will be waiting about 30 seconds for every subsequent attempt and on the second attempt would be engaging on say 100 instead of 50.

A quick retract toolholder would be a more elegant solution.
Or a spindle brake.
Or a VFD (they do brake), together with a jog-button. And on the way back, you can easily crank up the speed.

Or more coffee. :)
I do manually thread at 200 RPM (depending on the pitch even higher).
Nick

With my Graziano SAG12 I can easily reverse helix metric thread at 500 rpm+ (regardless of pitch) up from a shoulder slowly stop the spindle, retract the tool and reverse direction then switch to a lower speed using the joystick transmission speed control and while pushing the instant stop button on the end of the joystick precisely place the tool back at the start of the shoulder ready for the next high speed for the pass all the while keeping the half-nut closed.

Don Clement

Back