What's new
What's new

Mikron P800U vs Hermle C42 (both with pallet changer)

Ahh, for mold tooling you really need the taper, I know this is stronger, but it just doesn't work.
They're just as thin as a tapered holder at the nose. The 3mm holder is only 6mm at the nose. Pretty much all holders under 5-6mm are only 3mm larger at the nose than the bore size.

They're just as thin as a tapered holder at the nose. The 3mm holder is only 6mm at the nose. Pretty much all holders under 5-6mm are only 3mm larger at the nose than the bore size.
I'm sure there great, but wouldn't be usable if you have a 3° wall draft, and 3° sometimes is only if your lucky, If the arc holder is greater than 3°, which I'm sure it is, then you will have interference.

Then set your tilt angle a few degrees more?
If only, 2 things, most mold shops don't have 5 axis, second, a lot of parts you are working with ribs, ie wall on the other side, so 0 tilt allowable. this is the issue. And at this point doesn't matter if you use a 5 axis.

yeah tool and die is a different world. I've worked job shop, and production manufacturing, but tool and die is almost like a totally isolated different skill set in machining.
I actually think its funny to see a skilled machinist think he can machine injection molds because he has made parts for 25 years.
I actually know a couple guys who did just that, tried to switch from job shop to manufacturing injection molds, its was a eye opener for them both.

yeah tool and die is a different world. I've worked job shop, and production manufacturing, but tool and die is almost like a totally isolated different skill set in machining.
I actually think its funny to see a skilled machinist think he can machine injection molds because he has made parts for 25 years.
I actually know a couple guys who did just that, tried to switch from job shop to manufacturing injection molds, its was a eye opener for them both.
I'm not trying to be pedantic but If you're getting that close to walls on every side, then why not get a custom solid carbide 0.0625 ball mill that tapers up 1.5* to a 0.500 shank? It would be 9" long so you'll reach whatever and it has the wall angle you want. Being one piece and solid carbide it would be significantly stiffer than any heatshrink extension set up.

I'm not trying to be pedantic but If you're getting that close to walls on every side, then why not get a custom solid carbide 0.0625 ball mill that tapers up 1.5* to a 0.500 shank? It would be 9" long so you'll reach whatever and it has the wall angle you want. Being one piece and solid carbide it would be significantly stiffer than any heatshrink extension set up.
Some people do, cost and time. Been there done that, Actually if applicable then there's EDM. Which is a whole other deal.

Back