What's new
What's new

Milacron: Would you possibly allow a Fadal forum?

TheOldCar

Stainless
Many of us would really appreciate a Fadal specific sub forum! I admit my asking is shallow since I cannot offer useful moderation.

I do believe that a Fadal sub forum here at PM would be much better than Facebook or the "other places".

I am willing to beg, or even bribe you with a free Schaublin part or two. :eek::fight:

We have subforums here that have hardly any traffic. I think a Fadal forum would be a welcome addition to PM. I vote Bobw as the moderator.
So you want to add yet another board to water things down even more ?

Have you looked at "The Zone" ?

We have subforums here that have hardly any traffic. I think a Fadal forum would be a welcome addition to PM. I vote Bobw as the moderator.
Again, you admitted it, there are too many subforums.

What's wrong with posting in the Generic CNC section, title starting with your machine make & model ?

Again, you admitted it, there are too many subforums.

What's wrong with posting in the Generic CNC section, title starting with your machine make & model ?
The Mazak subforum is a nice way to combine the Mazak posts in one spot. Almost 4k threads in there. Fadals are not Fanuc machines. I think Fadal needs it's own subforum separate from the mainly "Fanuc" CNC section. My opinion of course.

True.... Toyoda, Baileigh and Warner & Swasey come to mind... the first two were requests of (at the time) advertisers.. who no longer advertise so I should eliminate them really, just not got around to it. Re Fadal forum, my inclination is to have CNC subforums with 'growth' companies, like Mazak. Fadal seems like one of those machines where the members that have them shrinks every year rather than grows. If that is not the case, let me know and I'll reconsider.

FWIW, I do think a Hurco / Milltronics forum should be added. Thoughts ?

True.... Toyoda, Baileigh and Warner & Swasey come to mind... the first two were requests of (at the time) advertisers.. who no longer advertise so I should eliminate them really, just not got around to it. Re Fadal forum, my inclination is to have CNC subforums with 'growth' companies, like Mazak. Fadal seems like one of those machines where the members that have them shrinks every year rather than grows. If that is not the case, let me know and I'll reconsider.

We need it, honest!
Heck, the outdated, old-man-hobby Monarch 10EE lathes get their own cult forum!

Cell phone won’t let me post smilies…
EDIT: now they worked!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:fight::fight::fight::fight::leaving:

(I love my Monarch lathes)

Last edited:
If that is not the case, let me know and I'll reconsider.

I urge you to reconsider. While Fadal machine numbers are certainly not growing their user base continues to do so as they become entry-level machines. This also means their owners, myself included, don't have many resources beyond PM to learn their mechanics, quirks, shortcomings, etc and the forums that do exist are much less...professional.

I don't suspect the forum would have mountains of new activity, but it would serve a more organized and easily searchable repository for Fadal info. And, afterall, isn't that one of PM's main goals?

Fadal seems like one of those machines where the members that have them shrinks every year rather than grows.

Still a huge user base. And many people are starting off with a Fadal these days because they are best value of any used CNC. Cheap, easy to fix, somewhat reliable and gets the job done. Perfect combination for anybody starting out. These new users have lots of questions. The Fadal group on facebook is always busy. I think it would be a great addition to the forum.

Fadal has ALWAYS been an entry level machine. There was never, ever a premium level Fadal.

The curious part about Fadals is how for awhile, for a decade or so, Fadals were hamburger machines at hamburger prices. A running Fadal 4020 was a $2500 machine. A 3016 was a $1200 machine. Then, through the magic of the internet, Fadals have been perceived as good machines to start out with. Many folks documented reviving and revitalizing their Fadals to start a business or advance a hobby. Now Fadals are often priced at $10k and above. American money. Fucking insane.

There's a lot of Fadal content online. I guess it's a case of more must mean it's good right?

In contrast, machines that really are great machines to start out with, like pretty much anything made in Japan, does not have much brand specific content anywhere online because there is nothing to talk about. Good machines run and run and run and run. You don't have to replace the thrust bearings and bellvilles every year. You don't have to replace the Turcite in a decent machine. CNC's built for making money don't use umbrella toolchangers. Pretty much any other VMC ever built can interpolate a very round hole at 100+ IPM. Not a Fadal. I guess they figured that wasn't important?

Fadals probably need a dedicated forum more than any other brand machine there is. Sadly, it will only lead to inflated Fadal values.

When I did a search for the word Fadal in just the thread titles in the CNC section alone, I came up with over 200 threads (10 pages). When searching for the word Fanuc, I only got 10 pages as well. Seems like the new forum limits the search to just 10 pages. Not sure how many actual Fadal threads there are out there.

The Mazak subforum is a nice way to combine the Mazak posts in one spot. Almost 4k threads in there. Fadals are not Fanuc machines. I think Fadal needs it's own subforum separate from the mainly "Fanuc" CNC section. My opinion of course.
Where did I mention "Fanuc" ???
Your an idiot.

Back