What's new
What's new

Miller weld mask cheater lenses

rimcanyon

Diamond
Joined
Sep 28, 2002
Location
Salinas, CA USA
OK, so I have been doing a lot of welding in spaces where my regular helmet gets in the way. So I bought a Miller weld mask, and it should solve the problem. Problem is my eyeglasses are too wide to fit in the goggles, so I can’t see the puddle.

The Miller weld mask has some cheater lenses available that do straight magnification, up to 2.5 diopters. But I have an astigmatism so that won’t be good enough. The weld mask comes with an empty cheater frame, so you can fill your own prescription. I took it to Costco and they said they could not provide lenses for it. I was thinking about trying a different Costco, but I thought maybe someone here has already done something similar and knows a place that can put prescription lenses in the Miller cheater frames.
 

Bondo

Hot Rolled
Joined
May 14, 2011
Location
Bridgeton NJ
I'm assuming your best bet would be to build a custom set of glasses for welding or try to build yourself a custom cheater by trying to find something that you can cut apart and make a lense.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
 

Pete Deal

Stainless
Joined
Apr 10, 2007
Location
Morgantown, WV
I suggest trying a real optometrist. I suspect this may be a case of typical big box store carrying 90% of what the world needs. For the other 10% your sol.

I know we’ve gone to a local optometrist to get corrective lenses for target sights on a rifle. Seems like getting lenses for a welding helmet ought to be similar level of oddity.
 

sfriedberg

Diamond
Joined
Oct 14, 2010
Location
Oregon, USA
I used to use cheater lenses on a Jackson NexGen, which has a generously sized window. But then I took some classes in a shop which required safety glasses at all times, so I switched over to wearing Radnor (cheap, comfortable and readily available) cheater safety glasses and just leave them on all the time.

Off-the-shelf cheater safety glasses won't address the astigmatism issue, but like Pete Deal I'd recommend visiting a real optometrist for specialty safety glasses with your prescription. Then you can use them all the time, not just under the hood.
 

rimcanyon

Diamond
Joined
Sep 28, 2002
Location
Salinas, CA USA
OK, trip to the optometrist is what I will do. I called Miller's support phone and spoke to someone on the helmet team. No use at all, he did not even know that an eyeglass frame was included inside. And nothing in the documentation.
 

rons

Diamond
Joined
Mar 5, 2009
Location
California, USA
OK, trip to the optometrist is what I will do. I called Miller's support phone and spoke to someone on the helmet team. No use at all, he did not even know that an eyeglass frame was included inside. And nothing in the documentation.

On the subject of support.
As I get older and wiser the support people get younger and less knowledgeable. Easily noticed when the support employee is reading a section of
a weak user's manual to answer your question. Fine for the housewife.
 

fciron

Stainless
Joined
Oct 14, 2009
Location
Louisville, KY, USA
I'll be the third one to recommend a real optometrist. When they fit my bifocals into the safety glasses frames I provided the lenses came from their supplier as a 2" disk which they cut to fit.
 

Ries

Diamond
Joined
Mar 15, 2004
Location
Edison Washington USA
Another vote for a real eyeglasses shop. Costco is great for what its good for. I have some pretty weird glasses frames- some, made by an industrial designer I know, are cut from resin/fiber sheets, others from real wood- and I found that most low cost optometrists wont do fussy work. In my town, there is one shop that has real experience, and will do anything. And a bunch of people who are the eyeglasses equivalent of parts changers.

Many may not understand that the OP is not talking about a traditional welding hood- its more like a balaclava with goggles attached. You look like a bad guy from a Marvel Comics movie. So he really needs an eyeglasses shaped lens that fits in that particular frame.

Miller Weld-Mask Auto Darkening Goggles for sale (267370) - Welding Supplies from IOC
 








 
Top