What's new
What's new

Milling a JP Longellow Rem700 Receiver Blank

Here is a picture of the cam cutter that was built by Tracey Milsaps. I make different bushings to hold different diameter actions. It cuts both cams at the same time.

I use a travel dial indicator to tell how much I am advancing the action into the cutter.

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 773
Third there are no wire marks in my blanks. When you hold one up to the light and look down it you see only the light reflecting off the shiny surfaces

I hear ya, I'm not really thrilled about the wire marks and rough surface left by the EDM process. Now I'm skeptical about the hardness of the material. However PARA seems to have 4 blanks that are all solid.

Looks like I might just have to order up a lot of my own. Rob

Here is a picture of the cam cutter that was built by Tracey Milsaps. I make different bushings to hold different diameter actions. It cuts both cams at the same time.

I use a travel dial indicator to tell how much I am advancing the action into the cutter.

Gary

Can I borrow that for a week or two? He he

Question: Anybody spend the time to cut the bolt raceway slot down the right side? I noticed my R700 has a male/female groove between the bolt lugs and the receiver. I think my PTG bolt has the same groove. But my JP blank does not. It doesn't look like it is necessary. Just curious. Rob

I believe Remington calls it an anti-bind rail. I personally see no advantage and believe it is just an advertising gimic but I do cut some blanks with it in there for people who want it. Just one of those options I was talking about.

I have cut blanks for Savage bolts also and it has a tab that sticks out rather than the groove.

Gary

The factories use anti-bind rails and slots because their bolt to bore tolerances are excessive to ease production. If you hold the bolt clearance to .004" or so there is no problem with binding. I don't think any of the custom action builders like Stiller, BAT , etc. use them since they hold .004" or less depending on what their actions are designed for. My own action has .002" clearance and it's is smooth as can be and cannot be made to bind.

RWO

Question: Anybody spend the time to cut the bolt raceway slot down the right side? I noticed my R700 has a male/female groove between the bolt lugs and the receiver. I think my PTG bolt has the same groove. But my JP blank does not. It doesn't look like it is necessary. Just curious. Rob

Here is a long action blank for a .338 Lapua with the Remington anti-bind rail and .750" bolt I cut over the weekend.

Gary

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 497
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 471
Looks really nice, I take it you mean an ultra mag length action? That's good to know as I've been meaning to build a 338 edge for awhile, but I would want to start with a larger rectangular stock profile ;)

Looks really nice, I take it you mean an ultra mag length action? That's good to know as I've been meaning to build a 338 edge for awhile, but I would want to start with a larger rectangular stock profile ;)

No it is for a .338 Lapua. That is 1.5" diameter with a .750 bolt. I have cut several blanks from square stock, I just don't keep it here it is usually supplied by the person wanting the blank.

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_1044.jpg
    IMG_1044.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 326
I know that was for a lapua, I was referring to that being an ultra mag length action.

Ah, I see. Yes it would work for both. A Stiller Tac 338 is 9.165 long and this particular blank is 9.375.

And Thanks Paracongo308for your post below, I wasn't getting the point even though I knew the Ultras would work

Gary

Last edited:
Tooling

I'm slowing gathering my tooling. Got new drill bits and taps.

Any recommendations for carbide bits? Does brand matter? I'm using a Sieg cnc mini mill.

Thanks,

Rob

I'm slowing gathering my tooling. Got new drill bits and taps.

Any recommendations for carbide bits? Does brand matter? I'm using a Sieg cnc mini mill.

Thanks,

Rob

There are a bunch of options, but I use mostly Garr Tools because I have a supplier for them handy. They do quite well.

Gary

Back