What's new
What's new

milltronics mill no movement in the X

KHaas

Plastic
Have an older YCM retofit with Milltronics. Had to replace the SDC so in doing so all parameters were lost. I have got as far as homing the Z and Y but the X just wont move. I thought it was the motor, so I swapped 2 to verify and the motor works when plugged into the Y. If I try and manually turn it, it locks up at .2, as it should according to parameters. Does anyone know how I can get this machine to home.

hoping that someone is watching this post. So I have now swapped the drive boards in the back of the machine to try and rule that out and sure enough, when i swap the board there is no difference. I have also now swapped the limit switches. nothing is making a difference. when i reset the machine i can not manually move the Y, but the X will let me move .2 before locking up. please any help is appreciated. I'm also trying to troubleshoot over the phone with a company and they have got me this far but short of them sending a tech from 7 hrs away i'm kinda in a hard spot.

Have you checked continuity of the cables connecting the X? If the problem only exists on the X and doesn't follow the control board or the motor itself, then it is probably in the cable or the axis itself (assuming your reloaded parameters are correct). With power off and the motor disconnected can you spin the ballscrew?

Have you checked continuity of the cables connecting the X? If the problem only exists on the X and doesn't follow the control board or the motor itself, then it is probably in the cable or the axis itself (assuming your reloaded parameters are correct). With power off and the motor disconnected can you spin the ballscrew?

I have not checked continuity of cables. I will as that to the list. The parameters came from Milltronics and i even had someone else look over them to make sure there were no typos. I can move both y and x with machine off. I have also used the "home here" option to make it think that it is homed. when i do this i can jog y and z but not x.

I have not checked continuity of cables. I will as that to the list. The parameters came from Milltronics and i even had someone else look over them to make sure there were no typos. I can move both y and x with machine off. I have also used the "home here" option to make it think that it is homed. when i do this i can jog y and z but not x.
Where does it think it is vs what are the software limits? Software limits are set under MAIN-PARMS-SETUP-AXIS and labeled "Positive Limit" and "Negative Limit".

ok. I have checked continuity on what i believe are the power cables. 2 red 2 black. the alarm that come ups is a 407 x exceeds error condition. are you thinking i need to check all the cords? i will never be able to really know what one goes to what pin but if one doesnt seem to connect to any i could rule it out that way. I'm by no means an electrician. I was going to swap the wiring on the motors but there are a lot of wires that i would have to go though and very worried i would mess it up. another thing i noticed when shutting it down yesterday was the handles do a little maybe quarter turn. x and y both move at shut down. not sure if that means anything just trying to put out all info i have.

Where does it think it is vs what are the software limits? Software limits are set under MAIN-PARMS-SETUP-AXIS and labeled "Positive Limit" and "Negative Limit".
so on my machine it is parms, level, axis. also my machine will home from any location. I have proven that by setting my y and z way off of zero and it took them right back home.

ok. I have checked continuity on what i believe are the power cables. 2 red 2 black. the alarm that come ups is a 407 x exceeds error condition. are you thinking i need to check all the cords? i will never be able to really know what one goes to what pin but if one doesnt seem to connect to any i could rule it out that way. I'm by no means an electrician. I was going to swap the wiring on the motors but there are a lot of wires that i would have to go though and very worried i would mess it up. another thing i noticed when shutting it down yesterday was the handles do a little maybe quarter turn. x and y both move at shut down. not sure if that means anything just trying to put out all info i have.
And I just check the other 8 wires to a little board inside the motor. I can get a beep from each wire. Checked each one twice.

Are there any errors indicated on the X control board when it alarms out? Probably little red LEDs labeled for various faults. Is there an encoder on the end of the motor? AC or DC? If brushed have you inspected/blown out the brushes? I haven't worked on YCMs or Milltronics in particular, but these are standard things I check for when diagnosing axis movement issues.

I see the LEDs nothing is on while the alarm is up. I do see this is a DC brushed servomotor. So next I will work on finding and cleaning bushes. I currently have both motors sitting on a table still wired to the machine but not on the belt. Now when i try and home the Y will spin until i stop it and the x just locks up right away and throws a 407 error. Thank you so much for the help. At the very least i'm ruling things out before i pay someone to come fix it. lol

From what I can find alarm 407 indicates either the axis is bound, or the encoder isn't communicating your position in a timely manner. Since in the first post you mentioned that you swapped the X-axis motor with the Y-axis motor, and it worked fine under the Y-axis board's control, I am led to believe your issue is with the positional encoder wiring, which I assume remained with the axis when you traded the motors.

To clarify, when i swapped motors i only verified that both motors would run. because I only unplugged it and swapped it in the back of the machine they did not work properly they just both spun until they traveled the .2 and locked up. Is it possible to have continuity in the encoder wiring and they still be bad? Assuming the thin wires that run to a really small board on the end of the motor are the encoder wires, I did check the 8 wires on an electrical board in the back of the motor to the plug in the back labeled x. I was able to get all 8 to beep. I have considered swapping out by reconnecting wires but the colored ones from the motor are all hooked up to black and red so i'm very nervous about taking that step.

When you say the spun until they traveled .2 and locked up is that only when they are connected to the X control board or in any position? I thought in your first post you successfully homed the Y and Z axes. If so, what happens when you put the X motor on the Y board and home it out?

Y and Z home when everything is hook up as it should be. they didnt home when i swapped the cables. I can still get the y and z to home but never have got the x. If i have the x motor plugged into the y board it takes off as soon as i reset the motor and then locks up.

I'm sorry my 1st post is a little unclear. I was trying to keep it short enough that someone would read it.

Back