What's new
What's new

Minds Eye Machine

Nice shop. I had to look up Rollag, MN on google maps. Nothing really there. Never heard of it.

David, look up WMSTR (Western Minnesota Steam Threshers Reunion), It takes place every labor day weekend and is something everyone interested in machinery of some sorts should experience. Its one of the largest Steam/Machinery expos in the US and that weekend the little town of Rollag is flooded with thousands of people from all over the country/world. But other then that you hit the nail on the head, nothing really there lol!

Here is a link to their website, (I hope that is not going to get me in trouble for posting a link).

Western Minnesota Steam Threshers Reunion - Where Your Past is Our Present

I know there is a mild debate going over the clean vs. dirty shops, but I have to say I just LOVE when I see it like this. It just screams pride all the way around.

I leave you know to your regularly scheduled (cnc) programing.

Chainz,

I really appreciate the compliment, I really have my father to thank for beating into my head that a clean shop is a productive shop. Ive worked at a fair share of shops with the opposite mindset and you could say that would be part of the reason why I "use to" work there. I'm not saying that it doesn't ever get a tad messy with a big job on the task board, but that still isn't an excuse not to take a few minutes and reorganize and clean up!

Very nice shop and even better to hear you are a dirttracker.
Would be nice to see some pics.of your RS. All the ones that are left seem to be in hiding.
Thanks, Dave

Thanks D KIRBY!

Good to hear that there is some other people on this forum that recognize that machine! I would love to post some pictures up, Il see what I can dig up. Your right about them being hiddin tho.. Ours on the other hand you could say is far from being "hidden" as it is our 750 twin we are running in the AMA Pro Twins class this year. :D

good looking machines and parts ! Dig the 2 stroke stuff .

Thank you much reede, Its been a long process getting to this point but everyday it gets a tad easier! Good to hear so many people are enjoying it!

Good to see that starting with a 9x20 lathe isn't always the road to purgatory. An impressive shop and business you've built.

Pete,

Thanks for the compliments for sure, I think some of the best learning experiences stemmed from starting with only that lathe to work with. It did a great deal teaching one about hard work and determination to get the end result you wanted, could definitely be a tad bit frustrating though. Dont get me wrong, I dont want to ever go back to it! :D

Might have to hit that show. A little day trip with the wife and kids. I grew up around Albany and I'm familiar with Pioneer Days. The show is a little more modern(not as much steam).

Another update on the OT shop projects! Yesterday was the Midnight Riders annual Old Timers run, a big get together and bar hop for sleds pre 1983 but all machines are welcome. Lets just say the biggest challenge of the entire day is just trying to make it threw the the whole run! Its approximately 50 miles in all, traveling between 7 or 8 Bars/Pubs.

Heres the Iron steed that I have piloted the last couple years. Started out its life as a plain jane 250 Enticer "kids special". Well after some slight modifications she could be considered far from being the entry level machine she started out as :D.

IMG_3121.jpgIMG_3124.jpgIMG_0016[1].jpgIMG_0408[1].jpgIMG_0423[1].jpg

Here was half way through the run at the 2nd stop. Better then last years "barrel role" incident. Broke a leaf spring, minor details, limped her along to the next stop where the support vehicle awaited with a new ski!

Here is a couple pictures from last years damage, and this years not quite so bad damage.;)

IMG_3129.jpgIMG_3130.jpgIMG_0585.jpgIMG_0587.jpgIMG_3068.jpg

Nice shop -- much like my vision of space and equipment. The first pic showing the Cadillac in the slings off the trailer bed scares me to death, though. It looks like it was about 2 lbs of mass shift away from ending up with tailstock end straight up in the air. Looks like it ended up in the shop fine, but that's a picture that makes for some questions.;-)

Well 2016 is here and looking back I see that the OP has either been really busy or lazy. Anyway many things have changed since the last update but here are a couple updates.

Out with the old:
IMG_4485.jpg

In with the new:
IMG_4486.jpg

Upgraded to the Mori the end of 2014, for the size of the machine she is a little work horse. Not necessarily the fastest machine in the world but itl hum along all day making chips. Only down fall is the lack of tail stock. Ive been told numerous times from other shop owners about needing a tail stock only a handful of times but Ive already turned work down because of it :/ Other then that it has been a solid machine, easy to program and transfer files via RS232 with the 10T control

Some parts:
IMG_4665.jpgIMG_4666.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4667.jpg
    IMG_4667.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 191
Couple friends of mine have a fab shop building custom stainless headers/exhausts just down the road from me, we trade work back and forth now and then to help each other out.

Last weekends project:

Monster Truck zoomies
IMG_0144.jpgIMG_0159.jpg

They were on a tight time frame so they asked if I could bore some holes into some 2 1/2x2 1/2 SS tube for the lower bracket. Normally they just use a hole saw and finish with a die grinder.
IMG_0102.jpg

CBlair you certainly have the sweeping part right, how ever it seems to get a bit claustrophobic in here running multiple jobs with parts and stock stuck in every nook and cranny :S Space is a resource that is not an overabundance here. Hopefully 2016 will come with some changes in that department.

My old shop was tight like that.........couldn't swing a dead cat by the tail without hittin' something. Now in the new shop I had lots of room......gettin' full again.:willy_nilly:

Back