What's new
What's new

Mini Lathe - made in Europe

I contact with a seller that sold lathes and told me that in Europe doesn't manufactured lathes anymore because of a law that deny the use of some chemicals that used at the fabrication of the lathes and all the lathes are mostly made in china or turkey. These lathes that they write for instance made in Germany are the parts that assembly in Germany and not the lathes at 100%. Does anyone have ever here that?

Bullshit!

There are definitely stricter environmental laws for manufacturing in the western world but the number one reason stuff isn't made here anymore is corporate greed.

And consumer ignorance...

Yes, the earlier Emco lathes were made in Austria.

They were made in sizes from almost toy-like (the original Unimat) to 10, 11, and 13 inch (Maximat). Just follow the link and check out the various models.

Emco Lathes & Millers

In EmcoWorld, I strongly recommend the Unimat 3. Bought one new about 35-40 years ago. Learned on it (actually, beat the hell out of it) And it's still my go-to lathe for smaller stuff.

I found used in very good condition the "EMCO MAXIMAT V10-P" at 3500euro... do you believe that it is worthwhile to buy it instead of a new china lathe (with inverter)? I read that in order to cut threads have shift gears and doesn't need to change gears.

https://i.postimg.cc/pXbctjBR/fdf.png

discussing these comes dangerously close to what is allowed on this forum

that being said, that EMCO Maximat V10 will be a bit more bang for your buck, Chinese machines copied these almost 1:1, with simplifications and poor quality cast iron, and mostly poor fit and finish, unless that Emco is beat up, it will be much better machine that what you'd get buying Chinese knockoff, later ones could be improved, but will generally be not worth it

but for 3500$ you might look for a full industrial machine, not these toys

p.s. what's with the photoshopped picture? where is the compound slide?

I reupload it again... Unfortunately I don't have space for an industrial machine.
Many many thanks to all of you for the replies.

small industrial, like previously mentioned Schaublin 102, or Hardinge HLV are just marginally larger than this one, because you still need a cabinet to mount this on to, so all in all you maybe need a square meter more space, which I doubt is ever a problem when looking at purchasing this sort of equipment

3500$ will propably get you a quite worn 102 or HLV, but they still may outperform that Maximat (Chinese ones don't belong even in this comparison) depending on what you'll make on it

another thing to consider is resale value, 102 and HLV will hold up much better than the economy class table top machines, EMCO does hold value somewhat, but Chinese ones not at all

I found used in very good condition the "EMCO MAXIMAT V10-P" at 3500euro... do you believe that it is worthwhile to buy it instead of a new china lathe (with inverter)? I read that in order to cut threads have shift gears and doesn't need to change gears.

I bought a used Maximat V10P on the factory stand in 1984 for about $500. It had been in a large electronics company's prototype/maintenance shop. I quickly decided to sell it. The lathe was in good condition and looked to be well made, but it was in my garage in winter. The motor did not have enough torque to start it in high gear when cold. I had to put it in low gear and run it enough to warm the oil before it would run in high gear. I never cut metal with it. I did engage the power feed/threading gears and one of the small plastic tumbler gears immediately broke. Fortunately, back then there was still an Emco dealer in the USA who had spare parts and I replaced the gear. Then I moved that thing on to a new owner for $750. I class that model lathe with some other home shop machines (Atlas, for instance) as suited only for quick resale at a profit if bought cheap.

I think the larger Maximats are probably much better than the V10P, but I never owned one, so I cannot be sure. But finding Maximat parts will be a problem, if needed. And 3500 Euros plus shipping sounds like a crazy price for an old V10P.

Larry

Maximat V10P (power cross feed) would be a nice machine, I have the Super 11 and love it. One big problem with those is the fiber gear and pot metal selector forks so be sure to check those out before you buy. Guys on the io group I posted above have aftermarket solutions for that.

E$3500 is way over-priced tho (US$4250), if you look around you'll see they go for more in the US$ 2-3K range depending on tooling.

Remember that even tho it's a 10" lathe you'll only swing maybe 6" over the cross slide.

"I presume you are only looking for a lathe with powerfeed + leadscrew ?"

Yes.. that is one major thing for me.

I'm surprised you don't know about the Danish SR80.

SR80 Metaldrejebænke

The second owner of the shop is an old man now, and he's about to close the production.
After he took over the company, all lathes were build by him.
Hand scraped every single bed, and so on [emoji3526]

I have one, in excellent condition. It's a very nice little lathe that doesn't take up much space.

Best regards.

Sendt fra min Redmi Note 9 Pro med Tapatalk

Last edited:
For a new model, with Norton gearbox. The price starts at 3000€

5adffcfab059bdc7808f9fe2a156de7b.jpg

Sendt fra min Redmi Note 9 Pro med Tapatalk

I contact with a seller that sold lathes and told me that in Europe doesn't manufactured lathes anymore because of a law that deny the use of some chemicals that used at the fabrication of the lathes and all the lathes are mostly made in china or turkey. These lathes that they write for instance made in Germany are the parts that assembly in Germany and not the lathes at 100%. Does anyone have ever here that?

LOL! Ohh yeaaazzz.. A Swiss client, bragging about "100% Swiss made.." until some fool admitted a production delay was because the cargo ship carrying the castings had gone down in a gale!

In the Eastern Med. Off Turkish shores.

Not Lake Brientz or such!

:D

Yazz, do-gooders would rather legislate in favour of starve-to-death than risk paint fumes might not be safely managed.

Same form of brain-disease is now pretending to run the USA.. to the benefit of China, per their contract.

Turks will have to make their own cawfee.

No fear. They do that part well-enough, too.

:(

Besides Schaublin and Weiler, Meuser, Cazaneuve (france) Pinacho (spain) and several italian companies still make manual lathes in Europe. I dont think any of them make "mini" though. The eastern europeans, including Poland, Slovakia, and Bulgaria all still make lathes too.
Many other european companies make other machine tools, of all sizes and shapes. NO laws against it. But 100% made in Western Europe machines are expensive. You get what you pay for.

wabeco are nice machines, made to din 8606 accuracy and even scraped (at least some of the parts). the spindle supposedly even exeeds the specs at 5µ (would be din 8605) inspite of the tapered roller bearings.

wabeco are nice machines, made to din 8606 accuracy and even scraped (at least some of the parts). the spindle supposedly even exeeds the specs at 5µ (would be din 8605) inspite of the tapered roller bearings.

Tapered-roller ARE harder to do to extreme accuracy, "Gamet" as well as "Timken", plus copies the world around, modern times.

Even so. LeBlond & Timken were running a brag, rear cover of "American Machinist" every other issue, inside every issue, in that dead-tree magazine in the late 1960's for optional twenty-millionths TIR Timkens in Leblond's best foot forward.

Annnd there are some astonishing figures near-as-dammit taken for granted on CNC goods. Long-since we have been into the clean room and temperature-controlled zone where "need so justifies."

As usual:

"How much money do you have?"

"That'll do as earnest money. Now go borrow the OTHER 80%!"

:D

Back