What's new
What's new

Miss leading

deahook

Aluminum
I’m going through a B&S No2 grinder! And the 3 ph electric was wire all funky! The lower motor was wired 240 and spindle 440 lord. My converter put out 208! So I purchased a transformer and boosted it up to 460. The Allen Bradley switch was 240, so I purchased a 509, 600 volt. Just to make a point, I’ve never worked with anything Allen Bradley before, I mounted and hooked up the switch but no power to the motor wires. Like I said! I have worked with magnetic switches before but not A.Bradley! On top of this! Hooking up the on and off switch was interesting. I look online and there’s nothing on motor controls. I finally figured out the heater components and their purpose. Now this is why I’m writing this, the sales people are quick to sell me something that is incomplete and nobody can answer a question and help out. These components get expensive and multiple purchases add up. Heaters! I figured it out by going to my own motor control books.

Miss Leading, I can only imagine your anguish. I have never had the misfortune of working on a machine with wiring that was 100% funky. Maybe 50% funky, but all funky? No way.

LoL! I maybe exaggerating a bit! Because of my frustration! But in all its been one hell of a learning experience. A few years back I re-wired my Logan lathe. Another total mess of wiring. There’s four magnetic switches in the back and the farm mechanics had been trying to electrical skills on, lord what a mess. My son came out to the shop just after I ripped all the birds nest of wires out, he said OH MY LORD DAD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE. But I worked for 2 weeks figuring out how the switches work together and now the reverse works and it is working great. The problem with the grinder is it has too small of switches, plus nothing is coded or makes sense. So I’m just figuring it out and it being done correctly. Thanks for the response! It made me laugh. Dean

When I worked at the lab they would test the campus wide paging system loudspeakers oscainally. They would call out "call for Allen Bradley, call for Allen Bradly."
Bill D

Lord! I’m to the point! If heard Allen Bradley on PA system I would think I was having a nightmare! LoL! Dean

Yes! They are very well designed, I’m in the learn faze and I really enjoy working on these machines. Bill! When I ripped into the lathe, I was in Bemidji minn. And I was in electrical shop, I ask the electricians if they had any advice they could throw my way. They look at me and said! That’s motor control and we won’t work on that stuff. I ask them if they knew anybody that would give me advice? Their response was yes, one guy in the whole Bemidji area and he doesn’t give out advice. LoL! Lord Bill it’s like voodoo. On the grinder, wire nuts on 95% of the wire connections. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with wire nuts and they have their place but not where you want junction bars and not exposed dangling wires. Anyways! I’m still laughing about the Allen Bradley PA . Dean

City of 15K? Not too surprising.

You need to find industrial sparkies who do actual controls work; residential house-bashers aren't much help.

HVAC controls techs are often experienced in this, but they don't come cheap and again, probably not in smaller centres.

Yes Bill they are not any help! Honestly Bill I really enjoy working on motor control problems. What really I find so interesting is how it all works together.
It like an electrified Rubik’s cube! (A weird way of putting it) about 2 years ago I have a vintage Yamaha CR-3020 receiver and it needed a complete rebuild! Honestly friends that that receiver figured it would never work again! (They was very skeptical of my abilities) lol! But I persevered through stubbornness, and today it sounds like it did in 1979. You have a good day Bill

Back