What's new
What's new

Mist collector. Mistaway vs MistBuster any thoughts?

Kawgomoo

Cast Iron
My shop is getting kind foggy and funky. Air conditioned with a pretty much sealed environment.

Looking for a mist collector on our Haas mini mill.

Does anyone have any experience with either brand? Mistaway and Mistbuster.

The mistaway is passive with a disposable MERV filter at the top. Mistbuster is electrostatic.

Anybody recommend one or the other?

Not the brands you asked for but the same types.

I've used electrostatic on water soluble coolant machines. When new and clean they help with the smoke but they need an added filter for mist. The electrostatic part is a giant PITA to clean. Hated them.

I've also used royal filtermist. They are ok if you don't mind listening to a jet engine all day.

Also just the filter style. The filters don't last long and are expensive.

My top choice is 3nine centrifugal collectors. They absolutely work and have a clean in place backflushing feature. They do have a hi e pleated filter on the top but 6 years still going strong. The only rub is $$$$$.

I am really happy with our mistaway units. They are way quieter than the OEM collectors on our other machines, they work great, and the consumables are not too expensive. There is a secondary HEPA filter, which is an option you will want to add.

I am really happy with our mistaway units. They are way quieter than the OEM collectors on our other machines, they work great, and the consumables are not too expensive. There is a secondary HEPA filter, which is an option you will want to add.
i unfortunately have a low overhead and am unable to run the HEPA filter due to its heights. I have considered {in my head} of fabbing a new top piece of the filter that is more like a box duct and hangs the HEPA upside down off to the side. I dont really like the idea of running a duct between the machine and mistaway unit, but i guess that would be an option too.

i unfortunately have a low overhead and am unable to run the HEPA filter due to its heights. I have considered {in my head} of fabbing a new top piece of the filter that is more like a box duct and hangs the HEPA upside down off to the side. I dont really like the idea of running a duct between the machine and mistaway unit, but i guess that would be an option too.
We have both of ours ducted with the plenum intake. It's kinda ugly, but works great.

The HEPA filter makes a massive reduction in the amount of fog that escapes the unit.

We have MistAway units and been happy with them.
Do you use the hepa filter on top? My main issue is the gulp of air i get when i open the door to the machine, and with my short cycle times that ends up making an atmosphere you can taste. Which is pretty nasty.

Do you use the hepa filter on top? My main issue is the gulp of air i get when i open the door to the machine, and with my short cycle times that ends up making an atmosphere you can taste. Which is pretty nasty.
No. You think the added resistance of the HEPA is slowing down the flow?
Between the 16K spindle and vacuum workholding we can generate some mist, and if I forget to turn the MistAway on I'm immediately reminded at the end of the first cycle.

I have the 700 cfm MistAway on each of my VF-3s without the HEPA filter and have been very happy with them. I also went with there "Mist Manager" so they turn on with the coolant and run for about 5 minutes after its off.

No. You think the added resistance of the HEPA is slowing down the flow?
Between the 16K spindle and vacuum workholding we can generate some mist, and if I forget to turn the MistAway on I'm immediately reminded at the end of the first cycle.
If adddd resistance is slowing the flow or for excessive leftover fog you should just get a higher flow model to exchange the air in the enclosure more times per min.
Mistaway offers 400,700,1000(higher pressure than other models) and a 1200cfm

Same advice is true for all mist/smoke collecting devices

Would you say mistaway is near the most quiet on the market?
I work in a small 2 car garage and find the noise fatiguing. Need a collector but I don’t want to add excessively to the noise
(Yes the machines will be louder of course. But less noise generated is less noise, it’s not a labour peak decibels)

I don't know how they compare to other mist collectors, but it's about the same as a high velocity fan. Doesn't bother me at all, especially compared to the machines, air compressor, tumbler, etc.

Would you say mistaway is near the most quiet on the market?
I work in a small 2 car garage and find the noise fatiguing. Need a collector but I don’t want to add excessively to the noise
(Yes the machines will be louder of course. But less noise generated is less noise, it’s not a labour peak decibels)
Same situation. I believe the Royal Filtermist units are the loudest, its a centrifugal separator. the mistaway and electrostatic models all work in similar fashion so the nosie is about the same. you can add a fan speed controller to the mistaway to slow it down for less noise.

Back