What's new
What's new

Mitchell of Keighley lathe

Another lathe in NZ, similar to the last photos above and also a similar design to the Graham & Normanton-made Mitchell's, but less levers on the feed/threading box.

519649113.jpg

FWIW, the photos in the last few posts have been chosen to show variations of name (and possibly maker).

Most of the surviving Mitchell of K. lathes in NZ are different (later?) than the ones shown so far.

Peter,

Thanks for bringing all these to our attention.

I have yet to delve into John Mitchell and Co of Halifax, but here's a photo of one of their lathes (from from Widdowson's catalogue):-

JD 2022 John Mitchell.jpg

Moving to the relationship between D Mitchell of Keighley and Graham & Normanton Ltd of Halifax, I have found that Charles Donald Rushworth, who died in 1958, was a Director of Rushworth & Co and also of Darling & Sellers. As we saw earlier, Rushworth & Co joined with D Mitchell & Co to take over Darling & Sellers.

Where is 'Millwright', our agent in Halifax, when we need him?

This style of Mitchell Keighley lathe was/is quite common, the front faces of the headstock and below were not painted.

This lathe was in the Physics dept. of the Auckland University, photo by PM member Kiwipete:

Mitchell at Auckland Uni Physics dept. 02.jpg

I found an old photo I took around 1984 when the company I worked for closed. It shows the Mitchell lathe being loaded out, along with the Asquith radial drill:

Mitchell and Asquith leaving CAC c.1984 01.jpg Mitchell and Asquith leaving CAC c.1984 02.jpg

In this photo you can see a hexagon turret attachment resting on a Mitchell bed. This was an option, so it maybe original.

904720173a.jpg

I forgot to take a photo of todays progress I will do it tomorrow but now I am at filling the gearbox with oil what oil should I use in it? it has not got any bearings it has bronze bushes I looked in to it and some say hydraulic oil and some suggests gearbox oil ep90 what came out of it was a very dirty thin oil but it had such a small amount in it I can’t be sure what it was

Buldog,

Having cluttered up your thread, your lube query might have been missed by some.

I think questions about your lathe would be best posted in "Antique Machinery & History". Yes, your lathe qualifies :D

Maybe try posting a question such as "What sort of oil should I use in a Mitchell lathe with plain bearing headstock?"

Or "Mitchell lathe lubrication recommendations?"

Edit: I just noticed you asked about "gearbox" oil, not headstock oil. Perhaps you are asking about the feeds/screw cutting gearbox below the headstock?

Just make it clear which you require, as the headstock spindle plain bearings will probably be the critical ones. Also check if there is an oil pump or just splash lubrication.

View attachment 339698

Peter,

Disappointingly, I think there's a practical reason for bolting the gap piece on the end of the bed, namely to store it in a way which might keep the locating faces safe. The top still makes a good shelf, though.

My photo shows a venerable Greenwood & Batley lathe.

Given this substantial chunk of metal sticks off the end of the lathe at hip level, any self respecting Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee would require a warning sign saying "Mind the Gap". Anyway, this is a charming thread and now I want to visit the Keighley Bus Museum: Keighley Bus Museum Trust Ltd

Thank you I will put a post up now but just to confirm it is the headstock oil is what I need to find out I
It has plane bearings and is splash lubrication

Buldog,

Having cluttered up your thread, your lube query might have been missed by some.

I think questions about your lathe would be best posted in "Antique Machinery & History". Yes, your lathe qualifies :D

Maybe try posting a question such as "What sort of oil should I use in a Mitchell lathe with plain bearing headstock?"

Or "Mitchell lathe lubrication recommendations?"

Edit: I just noticed you asked about "gearbox" oil, not headstock oil. Perhaps you are asking about the feeds/screw cutting gearbox below the headstock?

Just make it clear which you require, as the headstock spindle plain bearings will probably be the critical ones. Also check if there is an oil pump or just splash lubrication.

Back