What's new
What's new

Mitsubishi F1 EDM troubleshooting help needed

RapidRon

Plastic
Hello! New member to the site and forum, but have been reading here for quite a while.
I'm helping resurrect a couple of old Mitsubishi F1 wire EDM units (yes! 1984 is here again). Got one up and running again, working on the other. Currently the faulty unit fires up pretty nicely - wire feeding, alignment completed, pumps running and AVR (external power supply) operational (works fine on other F1 unit after a main capacitor replacement). I've loaded the boot tapes and also a proven part tape (RS232 board not working right now). Pressing Start gets everything fired off, and the unit moves the wire toward the material. All seems well until the wire is nearly in contact, at which time the unit drops out of "Working" state, drops the working voltage to zero and shuts down with the alarm light lit. A look at the AVR shows its alarm light has also been triggered. Contact light not lit, but wire right there...
Any idea what the cause could be? Bad connection, bad circuit board, other?

No, not moved. It's been in-position for about 30 years :-). Not used for 4 years or so, and just bringing back to service. Some electronic components (boards/power supply) had been removed for swapping into my other machine for troubleshooting, but all are now re-installed. From what I'm told, the current behavior is pretty similar to what was happening last time it was used. The AVR (external power supply) light comes on and the entire unit shuts down at that time. The power supply works fine on our other F1 machine.

Another question regarding the same problem:
Since we're just firing this up after many years, and had water tank leaks to fix, we're using tap water as dielectric fluid for initial testing. I wouldn't think that would cause a failure like this, just a poor cut, wouldn't it?

Another question regarding the same problem:
Since we're just firing this up after many years, and had water tank leaks to fix, we're using tap water as dielectric fluid for initial testing. I wouldn't think that would cause a failure like this, just a poor cut, wouldn't it?
I've always just used tap water in machines. Never had issues

I'm still having the same problem where the machine won't cut at all - drops out of "working" immediately upon near-contact with the workpiece. The external power supply alarm light is lit, but the supply works on my other identical machine. I've measured both the variable and fixed (250V) outputs, and they are fine. I've measured the voltage at the wire per MC Machine and it looks fine. I've swapped the oscillator board from the other working EDM, and no change. Any ideas for my next step(s)???

Have you talked to Mc Machinery Service Dept? They might be able to help. Or Mitsubishi Service? What alarm does it show?
Tvalen1432

Back