What's new
What's new

Mitsubishi M64S Rigid tapping

Hertz

Stainless
Good morning, I have a VMC with a Mitsubishi M60S controller and for the most part, I've figured the machine out. The issue I'm looking at is rigid tapping. I have a Mastercam post that was used on this machine before we owned it and the code outputs with an R1 value. I looked around online and it seems this is the rigid tap command. I'm just looking for clarification from users with this control, because my manual says M29 needs to be called for rigid tapping, however when M29 is entered anywhere in the code, whether it is accompanied by an S command or not, just stops right before it and doors nothing. No alarm comes up either.
Code looks like this from Mastercam.
G98G84Z-.5R.1F.05,R1S1000

This code works when ran, however I don't know if rigid tapping is enabled or not.
When R1 is removed, the machine still runs through the code.

As mentioned, if M29 is entered, nothing happens.
Any idea?

Is M29 specified by the MTB or from a Mitsu manual? M codes are usually MTB dictated which is listed in the specific machine manual.
Not sure about Mits but on fanuc parameter settings you can see what M code is assigned for rigid tapping.
Also S1000 seems way too fast to tap though? Perhaps there's a spindle limit to rigid tapping?
Lastly check with your machine seller if you really have the option purchased?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221125_210826_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20221125_210826_Drive.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20221125_210422_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20221125_210422_Drive.jpg
    563 KB · Views: 4
I’ve never seen a Mitsu control that needs an M code to activate rigid tap mode. R1 is one common way and It can also be set by parameter to be the default mode so no R1 is required in that case. If a machine is set to rigid tap as a default, then R0 is used when conventional tapping is done.

Is M29 specified by the MTB or from a Mitsu manual? M codes are usually MTB dictated which is listed in the specific machine manual.
Not sure about Mits but on fanuc parameter settings you can see what M code is assigned for rigid tapping.
Also S1000 seems way too fast to tap though? Perhaps there's a spindle limit to rigid tapping?
Lastly check with your machine seller if you really have the option purchased?
Spindle speed is irrelevant for this topic. I only posted a quick program to show the code. 250 is the actual cycle speed. The issue is, I don't know if it's rigid tapping or not. I can't tell by watching the cycle.
The M29 is from the manual supplied by the manufacturer, not the Mitsubishi manual.

I’ve never seen a Mitsu control that needs an M code to activate rigid tap mode. R1 is one common way and It can also be set by parameter to be the default mode so no R1 is required in that case. If a machine is set to rigid tap as a default, then R0 is used when conventional tapping is done.
Yeah that's kind of my issue. As mentioned above, I can't tell if rigid mode is active or not.

If you command R1 in your G84 line I’m 99% sure you will be in rigid mode. Set up some scrap aluminum material and a 1/4-20 tap and so a few trial holes. If you are worried about breaking a cheap tap, program the Z pretty shallow. If it is not rigid tapping it will just pull the threads instead of breaking the tap.

Good morning, I have a VMC with a Mitsubishi M60S controller and for the most part, I've figured the machine out. The issue I'm looking at is rigid tapping. I have a Mastercam post that was used on this machine before we owned it and the code outputs with an R1 value. I looked around online and it seems this is the rigid tap command. I'm just looking for clarification from users with this control, because my manual says M29 needs to be called for rigid tapping, however when M29 is entered anywhere in the code, whether it is accompanied by an S command or not, just stops right before it and doors nothing. No alarm comes up either.
Code looks like this from Mastercam.
G98G84Z-.5R.1F.05,R1S1000

This code works when ran, however I don't know if rigid tapping is enabled or not.
When R1 is removed, the machine still runs through the code.

As mentioned, if M29 is entered, nothing happens.
Any idea?
You might need to remove the F.05 and change it to a P20 for pitch (1/4-20) I would have to look at my M80 control to be sure.According to what you programed you got 20,000 threads per inch.Might be to much for control to do.

Last edited:

Back