What's new
What's new

mix of metric and inch mode programs

rimcanyon

Diamond
I have some older inch mode programs I would like to run, but the fp2nc is in metric mode currently. How do I run a mix of inch and metric programs? I think there is a command I can add to the program to say what mode it is in, but I can't locate it.

I have some older inch mode programs I would like to run, but the fp2nc is in metric mode currently. How do I run a mix of inch and metric programs? I think there is a command I can add to the program to say what mode it is in, but I can't locate it.
IIRC, you don't have to switch units mode - the program format does it for you. A metric program #51 has &%51 as the first line, whereas an inch program #51 has $%51. (51 is just an example).

You did not say, but has to be a Dialog 3 or Dialog4 to directly use the input units.
Further think you can load remote produced programs (PC) as Rich says.
But to write something at the control (MDI) you must first select the units you wish to use in mode 16, then do the program.
Once saved you can access it with the machine set to either inch or meter....

Cheers Ross

So additional note, as you said, “have older programs……..”
knowing you once upon a time had a Dialog 2 machine, be aware that a Dialog 4 control, to the best of my knowledge will not run any ,inch or metric, Dialog 2 programs.

Cheers Ross

Rich, I knew about the ability to specify the mode when loading a program via modem. My question has nothing to do with downloading programs, it is about how to manage programs that are stored on the control. Is there a way to say, P1 needs metric mode whenever it is called in mode 13, and P2 uses inch mode?

Rich, I knew about the ability to specify the mode when loading a program via modem. My question has nothing to do with downloading programs, it is about how to manage programs that are stored on the control. Is there a way to say, P1 needs metric mode whenever it is called in mode 13, and P2 uses inch mode?
I thought the control automatically "knew" whether a program was inch or metric whenever called, based on the header characters or based on what mode the machine was in when the code was keyed in (which puts in the header characters). Perhaps I don't understand your question.

Have never done this so can’t confirm that it works.
I know that the control knows whether a program in memory is metric or inches.
It says so in the program list where you make the program active.

Pretty sure as Rich says that when you
Select a program in memory the control automatically sets itself to run in the correct measurement system.

But in reality don’t see the problem.
If the control dosen’t change to the correct system it’s like a single step to just go to mode 16 and switch to the needed system.
Cheers Ross

So just confirmed this in MDI mode ( did not check this using file transfer from a PC....)
So you can program in either inch or meter, which ever you wish, and you can mix systems.

To MDI an inch program you must first go to mode 16 and select inch (I)
Then go to mode 13 and enter a program by entering "%" then a unique program number.
Then you must make that program active by selecting it by highlighting it and pressing the acknowledge.....
Once this is done the machine will automatically be in the measurement system of the program...
You may then go to mode 11 and enter all your program blocks using the keyboard.

To write a metric program the process is the same with the exception that you must first go to mode 16 and select meter by pressing the "M" key.
Go to mode 13 and label the new program and make it active as with an inch program....
Then on to mode 11 to enter the data.......
In mode 13 each saved program is labeled as either inch(I) or metric (M)......

Cheers Ross

OK, thanks for the help. I need to get file transfer working again so I can edit and transfer programs to/from my laptop. Right now I am typing in old programs from printed copies. All of those old programs are inch mode. Now that I know the control tracks the mode of the program, I will stop converting the old programs to metric.

I had file transfer working, did not change my setup, but now its not working again. Unfortunately, it is not the easiest issue to track down. i.e. it either works if you have the right combination of cables, reverse modem, serial converters and drivers, or it doesn't.

My word of wisdom on file transfer is don't run it at the fastest transfer rate.
I run my setup at 4800 baud. Any faster and you risk errors in the file....
The I/O i am told is pretty primitive.
Be sure your headers and footers are correct...
I never bother sending the tool info as you need to set and enter the offsets, and its just as easy to do it in mode10 once the base program is loaded.
Further i never transfer back to the PC, don't see the need. If you created it on the PC then you already have it....

I limited myself to 2400 baud, and that worked well. I did download code from the machine to my Mac so I could understand and duplicate the formatting, as well as archive code that worked. I rarely wrote code on the Mac - too many chances for seemingly innocuous mistakes that would freeze the Dialog control and force a K10 reboot. I also uploaded and downloaded tool stores, with length offsets all zero. This way the code played in graphics mode with cutting depths looking like they should. I entered true length offsets before running the code.

It isn't the baud rate that is an issue, its the basic communication. i.e. nothing is happening. Last time I got it working, I ran cables between pc and mac until I got them talking, then transferred the setup to the fp2nc. Just a pain to have to start over and figure out why they aren't talking. Both the mac and the fp2nc do not have usb ports, so there is a usb converter at each end, a null modem and a cable. Should be straight forward, but it never seems to be.

Last edited:
Do you have the cable and black null modem (?) box I sold with the machine? Also comms should be 8bit-none (parity)-1 (stop bit), no handshake. I used the app “Serial” on my Mac. Here's settings screenshots.

Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 7.44.17 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-11-10 at 7.46.05 PM.png

Back