What's new
What's new

MMC Checkering Tool - BROKE!

ab_bentley

Plastic
Well I got a visit from Murphy the other day.......

My MMC Checkering tool broker on me while working. So figuring no one worked on the things anymore I disassembled it to see the issue. Once disassembled I found a broken right angle drive gear. The issue isn't that it broke but that I can't get the cutting shaft out of the head, as it wears the reciprocal gear that I can use to have it copied. Has anyone here had one these little guys apart? Again, if I can disassemble the shaft I can have the gear repro'd.

Please help... :(

Adam

Well it's really difficult to depict. The right angle gears are smaller than aspirin located in a housing smaller than the first knuckle of your index finger. I will try and snap a decent pic but I can't promise anything.

Adam

MMC=Micro Machine Company. Every thing inside is really small. The owner of the company sent be a letter about 30 years ago. I might be able to find the letter and get you his name. Then, if he is still alive, you could call him and he would be able to tell you how to get it apart. If I remember correctly he was in New Mexico. Gary P. Hansen

I know it is an old thread. Did you ever get it apart and get new gears? I am in the same boat other than I got mine apart. Just looking for the tiny a$$ bevel gears. Which have a threaded hole too. 1/8"-32 square thread....
If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it!
Denny

The company name was Miniature Machine, originally based in Deming, New Mexico. Owner was Bob Sconce, since deceased. They moved to Forth Worth and a Google search says they then went to Nevada, where they seem to have disappeared. Bob and crew made me a passle of custom handguns in the late 70s.

MMC Repair

I know this is an old post but I have come into possession of a on MMC checkering head that also has broken gears. I’m pretty good at working on small intricate mechanical things. But I have not yet been able to nondestructively remove the cutting gear shaft. Does anybody have any updates on the disassembly of this unit?
I am a gunsmith and have a pretty well equipped machine shop. I purchased a book on gear making for clocks and watches and think that I could cut replacement gears with a little practice,

Dale

Last edited:
Well I got a visit from Murphy the other day.......

My MMC Checkering tool broker on me while working. So figuring no one worked on the things anymore I disassembled it to see the issue. Once disassembled I found a broken right angle drive gear. The issue isn't that it broke but that I can't get the cutting shaft out of the head, as it wears the reciprocal gear that I can use to have it copied. Has anyone here had one these little guys apart? Again, if I can disassemble the shaft I can have the gear repro'd.

Please help... :(

Adam
still have the mmc?

thank You. my contact info-
530-209-6882 call or text
I have several mmc checkering heads need rebuilt or will buy another if found.
thank You, mike.

It turns out I can't help. I know the owner and he has fallen on hard times. The history of the business is one huge tale of woe. The company was acquired by a conglomerate that partnered with the son of the original owner after his death. The conglomerate went belly up and all the assets went with it, machines, tooling and such. The owner managed to get the company name back but lost all the machines and is still trying to get something started but he is struggling to keep afloat. He does fix tools but it is slow. Parts are scarce and he is adamant about keeping the tool as designed by his father. Bob, his father was a pretty good tool and die maker and was able to make many of the tools, taps and such. They made over 5K of the tools during the life of the company.
Stuff happens. Good luck on getting tools fixed. About all I can say is use good sharp cutter heads and don't try to plow through anything. Those little tools are made pretty delicate to be as small as they are. Jerry Fisher used them for many years without any trouble. Jerry went to school with Bob Sconce back in the day.

Back