What's new
What's new

Mobil Spinesstic 10

At $150 a barrel it's cheap enough to use as a rust preventative if no other use is found.
Sounds like it's nearly "3 in 1" or light machine oil from the description.

well, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and order a 5-gallon pail of Shell Morlina S2 BL 10. Keller-Heartt has it for 155.00 with free shipping. the Shell distributer in my area is Lynch Oil and they won't sell me anything less than a 55 gallon drum.

got my bucket O oil yesterday. interesting oil filter. looks like for regular cleanings all you have to do is drain it from the bottom. I did that before I took it off and there were a few tiny bits of trash in the 1/2 cup of oil. when I removed it and took the bowl off everything was clean. just a little film on the inside of the bowl.

PXL_20240518_190757426.MP.jpgPXL_20240509_135514228.MP.jpgPXL_20240519_153728918.MP.jpgPXL_20240519_153740074.MP.jpg

So nice. I wish my import 16x40 had a trash filter, or even a headstock drain that didn't drool down the side of the casting. Oh, and also a clutch. :-)

Japanese mindset I guess. their design for oiling the headstock bearings and gears is a work of art. was not expecting anything like that when I took the cover off last week.

while looking for a light headstock circulating oil, I found an unopened and sealed 55-gallon drum of Mobil Spinesstic 10. guy is eager to get it out of his warehouse. all I could find on google is modern equivalents are Gulfspin 10 and Mobile Velocite oil number 6. don't trust these comparisons to modern oils. anyone know what this oil was?
View attachment 439347
Velocite #6 is what is specified for twin disc torque converters in the turbine section... Spindle oil and should be about 65 sus at 100 F....I have used Velocite #10 as spindle oil for my Southbend lathe.. 10 is about 105 sus at 100F....This is a very light oil about like kerosene or diesel fuel.. Cheers from Louisiana; Ramsay 1:)

the oil I drained out looked pretty new, kind of a gold color I saved it for who knows what. refilling the lathe took 2 1/2 gallons. the Shell Morlina is completely clear. the 2 oils poured thru the funnel about the same as far as seat of the pants viscosity.
PXL_20240519_231747815.MP.jpg

Velocite #6 is what is specified for twin disc torque converters in the turbine section... Spindle oil and should be about 65 sus at 100 F....I have used Velocite #10 as spindle oil for my Southbend lathe.. 10 is about 105 sus at 100F....This is a very light oil about like kerosene or diesel fuel.. Cheers from Louisiana; Ramsay 1:)
having just put 2 1/2 gallons of the Morlina 10 in my lathe, I can tell you that you are mistaken. I've handled lots of kerosene as a cleaning fluid and diesel as well. the Morlina is very light but not that light.

having just put 2 1/2 gallons of the Morlina 10 in my lathe, I can tell you that you are mistaken. I've handled lots of kerosene as a cleaning fluid and diesel as well. the Morlina is very light but not that light.
Velocite #6 used in twin disc center sections is about like diesel fuel.. In fact, some twin disc converters use diesel as torque fluid.. Shell Diala is also a light oil suitable for twin disc use... They are light and if anything heavier is used, unit will overheat... Morlina is a bit heavier yes.
Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

A lot of early dozers used diesel fuel in torque converters .......the important thing in converters is that the oil doesnt hold air bubbles /foam .....as soon as this happens ,drive disappears which can be disconcerting on the face of a 1 in 1 slope

A lot of early dozers used diesel fuel in torque converters .......the important thing in converters is that the oil doesnt hold air bubbles /foam .....as soon as this happens ,drive disappears which can be disconcerting on the face of a 1 in 1 slope
Yep, I have bled air out of Twin disc converters in Lima and American cranes a time or two when I wore a younger man's clothes... Interesting how air bubbles will prevent even lifting the boom from the ground....Cheers....

the oil I drained out looked pretty new, kind of a gold color I saved it for who knows what. refilling the lathe took 2 1/2 gallons. the Shell Morlina is completely clear. the 2 oils poured thru the funnel about the same as far as seat of the pants viscosity.
View attachment 440301
I wouldn't be surprised if that was Morlina that you drained from the headstock. I used to use Shell Turbo T68 in many of my machines and it was as clear as water when new. After about a year in the machine it would look exactly like the oil in the bottom of your pail. Not sure what caused the colour change but it always changed the same way in every machine. Ken

Back