A neighbor recommended a motor shop about a half hour south of me. Took them a week or so to get around to testing it. They said it was 'bad'. I considered a rewind. They said MINIMUM $900 (but expect more). I got the feeling it would be closer to $2,000. No charge for the checkout. They didn't seem excited about finding a replacement motor to sell me.
First I needed to figure out what to buy. Came across this very good explanation of the NEMA motor coding.
The old motor is a '215' but has a non-standard 1 1/8" shaft. The new standard for '215' is 1 3/8" shaft. After a brief search a used one turned up near Austin, TX (I'm going to call that Providence). After some 'offer/counter offer' on ebay I got it for $140 plus shipping. Shipping was $100+ but it saved me a 7 hour round trip. Arrived in 2 days in great condition. Very well packed. Random observation. Everything I have bought used online related to machining has been VERY WELL packed. The custom packaging for an 8" chuck I bought was a work of art!
I had to buy an 8" gear puller to swap the pulley over to the new motor. (Was surprised I didn't have an 8" in the drawer). I pulled the fan cover off so I could put the shaft directly on a metal plate when installing the pulley on the replacement motor.
After I had the pulley off I decided to pull the cover on the motor to see if I could spot burned wires, etc. No burned wires but I did find this.
I hate mice.
I hooked up the replacement motor to my test stand.
The base plate was nasty. So I pulled that out to clean up. Not the easiest job. The pins that hold it in had been in a while.
Then it was time to test fit the new motor.
Well that's a problem. Motor connection box is on opposite side of where it was on the old motor.
The replacement motor would need to mount 1"+ to the right of where the original motor was. After getting it square/where I wanted it I marked the position it with spray primer. That's my favorite way to mark hole like this.
I have no idea why there are other holes tapped in this base plate. The motor I pulled out sure seemed like it was the original motor. It matches the motor data plate located in the belt housing. Oh well, it won't keep me awake at night.
Some hole drilling on the Wells Index 745 followed by some tapping (with the set my father bought me over 30 years ago).
Then it was time to test fit with the innermost belt. Came out great.
The disconnect switch box and the motor contacts box were nasty. I spent too many hours working on cleaning those up with the purple stuff. So much better working with 'clean' parts. Today I reinstalled all of the electrics and tested the motor/forward/reverse. Belts were slapping so tightened those up. No oil in head stock so only ran a SHORT time. It works!!!!
Next step is to pull out the oil pump and test/clean it. I'm wondering how I'll verify the oil pump is supplying all of the lines/the lines are clear. If I can't figure that out it will be a separate post.
Thank you everyone for all of the advice.