What's new
What's new

Modular Endmill Extension (screw on head) Brand Compatibility

boosted

Stainless
Seems the vast majority of exchangeable head endmills we buy fit on the handful of ISCAR Multimaster shanks that we keep in the tool crib here. I recall some time ago seeing a cross compatibility chart that showed there were several brands that were all essentially the same interface, but cannot find any literature on the subject after some intensive Google-ing this evening.

Basically I have a Mitsubishi head that came in last week, but it won't fit on any of our ISCAR bodies. The Mitsubishi bodies aren't necked back for pocket work like the ISCAR bodies, so if I do buy the right one from MITS, we'll have to modify it anyways. Not the end of the world, but I absolutely hate stocking modified anything in the crib. Does anybody on here know if any other brands play well with Mitsubishi? I'm eyeballing some YG-1 bodies that look really close from the pictures.

Any other wisdom on brand compatibility for other types of exchangeable heads would be most welcome. It's really annoying that there are so many types of heads available, but only a handful of offerings for bodies.

Pretty sure Tungaloy and Iscar are the same.

Pretty sure Sandvik and Simtek are the same.

Horn use their own system and I don't think anyone else is compatible with it.

Idk about Mits, but I really doubt that YG1 are compatible with anyone elses...

As above. Tool manufacturers aren't in the habit of making you buy less product.

Looking at some pictures on google, there are obvious differences between the mits and the YG1, mits is a face+taper system while the YG1 looks for all the world like a miniaturised indexable screw in style connection...

Not sure about exchangeable headed endmills but Maritool has a list showing screw in indexable tool cross compatibility:

https://www.maritool.com/images/Indexable-Cutter-List.pdf
Thank you!

This is probably the same list I saw a few years ago, but couldn’t find last night. Very helpful!

Looks like with Iscar the options are multimaster or flexfit, with the latter being the standard shown in the Maritool document.

I found an Ingersol shank that is exactly what we need, and according to the list it should be compatible.

Thank you!

This is probably the same list I saw a few years ago, but couldn’t find last night. Very helpful!

Looks like with Iscar the options are multimaster or flexfit, with the latter being the standard shown in the Maritool document.

I found an Ingersol shank that is exactly what we need, and according to the list it should be compatible.

Are you talking about screw in indexable heads or exchangeable solid carbide heads?

Because multimaster and flexfit are one and the other...

Thank you!

As @gregormarwick mentioned above the list I linked is for screw in type indexable insert milling heads. Afaik most manufactures use a proprietary system for their exchangeable solid carbide headed endmills, though YMMV; I haven't bought enough of them to figure out if they are interchangeable or not.

Are you talking about screw in indexable heads or exchangeable solid carbide heads?
Yes.

It was a Mits indexable head that started my confusion. We mix and match brands of solid carbide heads with some frequency, and I never give it any special consideration. Almost everything we have here is compatible with the multimaster. I've gotten so used to it, that I was surprised when the Mits head didn't assemble on the multimaster body. Head/shank compatibility just hasn't been on my radar for years. Since now I have made it a problem, I was hoping to get some unofficial guidance about which parts screw into which.

Last edited:
Yes.

It was a Mits indexable head that started my confusion. We mix and match brands of solid carbide heads with some frequency, and I never give it any special consideration. Almost everything we have here is compatible with the multimaster. I've gotten so used to it, that I was surprised when the Mits head didn't assemble on the multimaster body. Head/shank compatibility just hasn't been on my radar for years. Since now I have made it a problem, I was hoping to get some unofficial guidance about which parts screw into which.

We seem to be talking past each other somehow.

To be clear:

Screw in (like flex fit, what the maritool table is referring to, generally interchangeable across most brands as been around for a long time):

Toolholding_Clamping-System_Pictures-FLEXFIT1.jpg

Exchangeable head (like multimaster, and what I assumed you were talking about initially, as most brands have their own proprietary take on it):

mm-32-prod-appl.jpg

Gregor - I get it. I was asking about both styles at the same time. My confusion stemmed from the fact that our ISCAR bodies see a lot of use (including indexables from ISCAR that are a multimaster interface).

Our ISCAR bodies do fit Ingersoll (which we have), and I thought they fit Sandvik Coromill 316 too. However, I just checked, and they do not. Many moons ago I used to buy a tool grinder's house brand that fit the Sandvik products. I was curious if there was an overlapping standard for exchangeable heads there, similar to the overlapping standard of "screw in" indexables.

Appreciate the help. On my end the question was mostly answered on post #4; after which I feel like I have had to defend even asking it! :crazy:

Back