What's new
What's new

ModuleWorks and Autodesk partnership

jeffj

Aluminum
Autodesk and ModuleWorks Announce Strategic Partnership

"As part of our goal to continue enhancing the advanced manufacturing capabilities of Fusion 360, we’re announcing a long-term partnership with ModuleWorks. This partnership enables us to include powerful ModuleWorks toolpath calculation technology in Fusion 360 to deliver additional capabilities for multi-axis CNC machining. Read on to learn more about what’s to come."

Fusion only - not PowerMill too? Not Inventor CAM (InventorCAM?) too?
PowerMill didn't have enough advanced algorithms for them?

It's good for Fusion I guess.

I'm curious to where they were getting their toolpath technology before.

Sure they might get more multi-axis capability with using MWs tech, but price is most definitely going to go up. So much for a great, inexpensive, community driven software. But we've been watching this decline for some time now... to it being just another expensive CAM system that is.

I remember when fusion came out and was free for hobbyists and small business that made less than 100k annually. But those times are gone, sadly. Such a shame.

I'm curious to where they were getting their toolpath technology before.

Sure they might get more multi-axis capability with using MWs tech, but price is most definitely going to go up. So much for a great, inexpensive, community driven software. But we've been watching this decline for some time now... to it being just another expensive CAM system that is.

I remember when fusion came out and was free for hobbyists and small business that made less than 100k annually. But those times are gone, sadly. Such a shame.

I've been saying it for a while now, it was only a matter of time before Fusions starts raising its prices, they came in with a very appealing CAM option for many people, get them hooked, develop the software and increase the prices. Offer a subscription based deal where users ultimately feel stuck leaving and as they increase the price over time, keep it low enough where switching software is still financially not worth it.

This is curious.

Usually, it's fairly simple to figure out AD's motives for anything they do. In this case, not so much.

Why do they need to partner with moduleworks when they have all of the delcam IP? Why did they buy delcam if they were going to go with moduleworks.

Somebody tell me, before I start mailing anthrax letters and firebombs to AD HQ, that they didn't buy delcam purely to scuttle the competition.

Edit: Getting a toe in the door to buy MW maybe? Before Sandvik does...

Thats big news. Autodesk had been using the HSM kernel since they acquired HSM Works. The developer left a while back though and that's when the active development stopped on HSM works. WOnder if it was a hard time adding in the Delcam etc?

Maybe we get more "add on$" for fusion.. Waiting for the paid Camplete add on with collision checking and posted code simulation. more $$$ im sure.

Progress at least.

The base version will probably stay the sameish price but the addons will get more enticing and spendy. As an early adopter, it was announced a few weeks ago that I would be losing my yearly cloud credits, I have never used one ever, but I would be getting 7 of the paid extensions for free, so that is good news for me. My base price will remain the same as long as I never let it lapse. For some of us Fusion is perfect, yipee.

Fusion only - not PowerMill too? Not Inventor CAM (InventorCAM?) too?
PowerMill didn't have enough advanced algorithms for them?

It's good for Fusion I guess.

I wish PowerMILL and FeatureCAM users would come to the realization that these packages are dead. The only reason Autodesk did not pull the plug on them is they need time to integrate their features/tech into Fusion. Once that is done, expect one final release of each and then they are dead. My guess is that you will be offered multi-year subscriptions to Fusion + their Advanced Machining packages that will contain all of the Delcam tech they acquired.

That PowerMILL and FeatureCAM are both dead is not my speculation either. I don't think anyone in the leadership of Autodesk's manufacturing arm is hiding this fact as if it is a corporate secret.

I wish PowerMILL and FeatureCAM users would come to the realization that these packages are dead. The only reason Autodesk did not pull the plug on them is they need time to integrate their features/tech into Fusion. Once that is done, expect one final release of each and then they are dead. My guess is that you will be offered multi-year subscriptions to Fusion + their Advanced Machining packages that will contain all of the Delcam tech they acquired.

I've known for years. It isn't going to stop me from using it though. It (FeatureCAM) still works fantastic.
And I am sure it will continue to work fantastic for the next 8 or so years until I no longer give a ratt's ass about it.
That does not however mean I am going to stop bashing those ASS-HOLES every damn chance I get! Even though I know they could care less (yes, I know this).
If for no other reason than it makes me feel a little better every single time I voice my opinion about that scum-bag of an organization.
Fuck autodicks! (ban me for language and "bullying" (like FB pussies did), I don't care) Fuck autodicks!

This is curious.

Usually, it's fairly simple to figure out AD's motives for anything they do. In this case, not so much.

Why do they need to partner with moduleworks when they have all of the delcam IP? Why did they buy delcam if they were going to go with moduleworks.

Somebody tell me, before I start mailing anthrax letters and firebombs to AD HQ, that they didn't buy delcam purely to scuttle the competition.

Edit: Getting a toe in the door to buy MW maybe? Before Sandvik does...

ModuleWorks licenses tool paths to just about every CAM software out there, I don't see ModuleWorks selling out to any individual CAM company.

Thats big news. Autodesk had been using the HSM kernel since they acquired HSM Works. The developer left a while back though and that's when the active development stopped on HSM works. WOnder if it was a hard time adding in the Delcam etc?

Maybe we get more "add on$" for fusion.. Waiting for the paid Camplete add on with collision checking and posted code simulation. more $$$ im sure.

Progress at least.

DelCam and HSMWorks licenses some of MachineWorks toolpaths.

It's going to be Sandvik or AD....Money talks....

What would AD do with essentially the whole CAM market? ModuleWorks licenses to BobCad, CAMWorks, MasterCam, Siemens, SolidCam, SurfCam, TopSolid and plenty more.

Would AD end all competition?

I think there's a lot of people waiting to see what Sandvik does with MasterCam and Gibbs.

ModuleWorks licenses tool paths to just about every CAM software out there, I don't see ModuleWorks selling out to any individual CAM company.

My point was that the Delcam kernel was/is one of very few actual real competitors to MW that has feature parity with it, and probably exceeds MW in some areas.

AD have spent the last half a dozen years pillaging that for their own purposes. What do they need MW for?

I can't figure out the answer to that question, unless the answer is simply to monopolise the market - and AD certainly have form with that kind of shit.

What do they need MW for?

In my opinion, they are trying to make MW more valuable. Why? So it costs Sandvik more to acquire. And if there are contracts in place, even if Sandvik acquires MW those toolpaths won't be leaving Fusion.

Sandvik should have closed this deal the day after they closed the deal for Mastercam. Unless their plan is to drop MW for something else !!!??? :eek:

No doubt there are some big brain ideas going on behind those curtains of both AD and Sandvik

Look at history and there probably is your answer....They usually buy product to stop it....

Ohh I totally get the thought process behind it, and obviously there's a price for everything, but that would come with a massive price tag to essentially dissolve a company to eliminate competition, and there's no guarantee they would acquire enough customers to offset the ROI.

I wouldn't be surprised if other CAM companies have an agreement with ModuleWorks that they can't sell out completely to a competitor.

I've negotiated contracts for another business I own outside of manufacturing, its a store front business and when we've moved into a new location, I add in that the building owner can not lease another space to a similar business that would create competition and I go as far as finding out the other buildings owned by the same company within X mile radius and include them buildings in as well. We also have product suppliers we do the same with, some of our vendors agree to not allow a competitor to sell the same product.

I get its slightly different concept but any good business will cover their partnered assets, ModuleWorks being an asset to all CAM companies.

Back