What's new
What's new

Moglice, Turcite, Rulon or Phenolic wear strips?

Richard King

Diamond
I answered a question in the thread below about about Phenolic wear strips. Many of you know I write here and a couple of other forums. I had shared that thread on Hobby Machinist and Someone asked about Moglice use on a Tail-stock sole, and I wrote the answer. To much to cut and paste and I don't want to rewrite it here. I hope it's Ok to link it as I believe both forums are under new ownership so we can share. Here is the link.

Last edited:
This is somewhat relevant to something I'd been wondering.

At work, we have large box-way lathes that have a certain work support on the ways. This needs to periodically be taken on and off the machines for different operations. The way material on the support is called Biplast. It's white, seems similar to delrin, as well as some other way material called "Zedex". We haven't found it sold in the US.

Anyway, when taking this support off the machine, unless the crane and lifting fixture are very centered, it will tend to pinch and tear off the material on the side of the support way surface. Eats up time repairing that and rechecking the support's alignment.

The thought occurred that Moglice is harder than Turcite or this Biplast stuff. Maybe less likely to pinch and tear. Molding it to just that side surface also seems easier than fitting phenolic or ampco.

Wondered how you think it'd hold up. Ever have issues with chipping or tearing?

One issue with Moglice is if you put it on wrong you have to chip it off, so it is brittle. Im not sure with your issue I would use Moglice. When I was in Germany teaching I saw that White material as it's popular in Europe. A couple of things you may do is on your overhead crane. Have someone go up on it and paint some marks on the rails when you find the balance point. We used to have a 10 ton crane I did that to as it was fast getting it lined up. I would mark my chain links with liquid layout blue so I always found the same spot. Also when it was a critical lift I put a chain fall hoist on the hook so I could lift and drop slowly. Some of those cranes are to fast. Call or write Tstar.com as they have engineers who can advise you. Richard Caldwell is the head engineer.

There is a lot of technical info on the website and I have had good response with leaving a comment on the web site.
Here is technical specs on the Rulon 142, some info on strength but I agree talking to them would be helpful. I have no personal experience with other materials.
For some reason I cannot attach the .pdf but here is a screen shot, not too hard to find on the website if you use their search engine.
1675258234189.png

Attachments

• tristar rulon142productspecsheet.pdf
    455.6 KB · Views: 3
Am I the only guy who approaches reconditioning ways differently? I'm not a big believer in plastics wearing well. Snake oil. I machine the areas of concern, spray welding with appropriate material, re-grind to original dimensions and scrape. Good for another 50 years.

Linear roller guides?

Most of the major builders still offer a box way lathe, although I don't believe its iron on iron. I would assume there is a turcite type material that you do not see under the slides, faster rapids.

Rich might be able to chime in.

When did builders start moving to Turcite and cast iron? The oldest I've seen was on a 93, Hurco mill.

I worked on a Mazak CNC lathe that was approx. 15 years ago and I have no clue how old it was and it was hardened bed Iron with soft Iron saddle and cross-slide. It had a continuous lube system and not a one shot. That's how I think they were able to not get stick slip. I have no clue if they still make them though. Call Mazak > My Dad started to use Turcite in the 1970 instead of Phenolic ....and Im not sure when new machine builders started to use it. No one has ever asked me that...lol

Last edited:

Back