What's new
What's new

Monarch 1000ee Questions and Handle Replacements

jlegge

Stainless
It be helpful if you could post the serial number plate. Monarch made a lot of special "One-offs" of their standard lathes and sometimes you can pick that up in the serial number plate.

As far as I can remember threading was standard feature on 1000EE-Series 71 as it was to be a larger toolroom lathe.

John

thermite

Diamond
It be helpful if you could post the serial number plate. Monarch made a lot of special "One-offs" of their standard lathes and sometimes you can pick that up in the serial number plate.

As far as I can remember threading was standard feature on 1000EE-Series 71 as it was to be a larger toolroom lathe.

John

+1 What with ""build to FIRM ORDER" and extensive options, Monarchs were mostly "one-offs" in one way, another.. or several.

Best of all, if you have not already, phone or email Terri at Monarch and order the factory manual / build-package sort-of "reconstructed" from her extensive by-SN# as-built files.

"Time has passed".

LOTS of time.

MANY Monarchs have had field modifications done to them either by prior owners and local staff, or even by DoD "Depot level" contractors.

What you have NOW is.. whatever it IS!

Not necessarily the same as when it left Sidney, electricals and final-drive motor especially.

In an unrelated thread, it has been ascertained that Sabina routinely had 230 VDC 10EE motors rewound to 440 or 500 Volts DC, for example.

"Nominally", that can roughly DOUBLE the available peak HP in the same casing/frame.

One more mystery now less mysterious as to how Sabina configured for top performance whilst some other of the many DC Drive conversions were smooth-enough, but de-facto DOWNGRADES as to (reserve) power to the spindle and work.

Mostly, it came down to what any given purchaser NEEDED the most.

2CW

thermite

Diamond
Bump.

As byproduct of research on running 3-Phase-only DC Drives off RPC's & c. I'm finding more in the surplus market at lower prices for HIGHER HP than lesser.

Even still-in-current-production used goods are "out there" at under $1,200 in the 25 HP, 50 HP, 75 HP capable power ranges.

The problem of not enough power at the WALL remains a show-stopper for this particular situation, however.

thermite

Diamond
I would have been very happy IF the bone heads that had my 13EE before me had kept the DC motor. I have 480 three phase and could have been up and running for a fraction of what I put into the motor/drive for a 15 HP AC spindle drive.

"Too late NOW..." [1], but I keep tabs on used Dee Cee motors. So far, only stash them 1, 2, and 5 HP Reliance "RPM III" as others might hoard gold coins! Checked present-day MSRP for NEW ones? Brushes and bearings are cheap enuf!

:)

The only one that is "really special" was the old high-torque, low RPM, dead-smooth re-purposed elevator/hoist motor for the MG-era 3 HP "large frame". I stopped collecting with only four of those.

The ones used WiaD onward are nowhere near as hard to find workable subs for.

I'm eyeballing a 10 HP for $300 (plus freight, of course) as we speak..

DC drives for that can be had dirt-cheap now, too. $75 14 KW one due here Friday. Not even obsolete. As with the Eurotherm/Parker SSD's, still in brand new production.

There's a current-production (up to) 50 HP Parker 590 digital on my watchlist cheap, too. With 3-Phase at the wall, you cudda had the OEM Dee Cee motor running for about $500 to $1,200 bucks and had better load regulation than brand-new as a bonus.

My case.. the Cazeneuve still has an AC motor innit.. and it would be easier to convert it to Direct Current than to teach the 10EE's to speak French ....and swing both ways..

Can't have the fat Ladies gettin' inta menage a trois.. might fergit to please ME!

:D

[1] Just sent you an email as to a brand-new 15/20 HP DC motor... alcro's challenge is he simply has no real POWER .. "yet".