What's new
What's new

Monarch 10ee Moving

alcro1998

Cast Iron
So I just recently have purchased a beautiful 1981 Monarch 10ee. I am super excited to have finally found one and it was only 3.5 hours away from me.

I have been reading up on how to load these machines onto trailers and my first idea is using a lift deck trailer as I have had success with these in the past.

The first step of the plan is to bolt the machine to some 4' 4x4s to act as a pallet.

Then the plan is to pick up the 10ee sideways (near the headstock) with a pallet jack and roll it onto the trailer or use a hand winch to pull the pallet jack up slowly. I think this should be possible as I am renting the Sunbelt Rentals tandem axel lift deck trailer. From the pictures online it appears to be the type that has a gradual incline for pallet jacks and such. (will verify this before rental) The guy I purchased it off also has an engine hoist and I will use this to stabilize the machine while moving and catch it if it starts to tip. (absolute worst case scenario)

Once the lathe is on the trailer I plan to rotate it 90 degrees and strap it down, leaving the pallet jack in place for transportation and unloading.

My main concern is the machine tipping over while loading since it does have the JIC box which removes some of the weight from the base and increases the top heavyness.

I am wondering if there are any experienced riggers who would have any suggestions for the plan? Also is there any special care I need to take while transporting for the JIC box? How top heavy is a 10ee?

I am not experienced in lathe moving and have only transported 1 Leblond lathe. I am super nervous since this is such an amazing machine and is super heavy! Would hate for anything to happen. I will also make sure to take everything off the might move during transport and strap down everything securely. (I move construction equipment quite often at work too.)

Thanks in advance! :)

158405117_10209050495457579_3298335626531005336_o.jpg

So I just recently have purchased a beautiful 1981 Monarch 10ee. I am super excited to have finally found one and it was only 3.5 hours away from me.

I have been reading up on how to load these machines onto trailers and my first idea is using a lift deck trailer as I have had success with these in the past.

The first step of the plan is to bolt the machine to some 4' 4x4s to act as a pallet.

Then the plan is to pick up the 10ee sideways (near the headstock) with a pallet jack and roll it onto the trailer or use a hand winch to pull the pallet jack up slowly. I think this should be possible as I am renting the Sunbelt Rentals tandem axel lift deck trailer. From the pictures online it appears to be the type that has a gradual incline for pallet jacks and such. (will verify this before rental) The guy I purchased it off also has an engine hoist and I will use this to stabilize the machine while moving and catch it if it starts to tip. (absolute worst case scenario)

Once the lathe is on the trailer I plan to rotate it 90 degrees and strap it down, leaving the pallet jack in place for transportation and unloading.

My main concern is the machine tipping over while loading since it does have the JIC box which removes some of the weight from the base and increases the top heavyness.

I am wondering if there are any experienced riggers who would have any suggestions for the plan? Also is there any special care I need to take while transporting for the JIC box? How top heavy is a 10ee?

I am not experienced in lathe moving and have only transported 1 Leblond lathe. I am super nervous since this is such an amazing machine and is super heavy! Would hate for anything to happen. I will also make sure to take everything off the might move during transport and strap down everything securely. (I move construction equipment quite often at work too.)

View attachment 316562

Use 4"x 6" instead of 4x4. Make them as long as you reasonably can (5' or 6' ?) Use through bolts (must drill counter sink on bottom) not lag screws.

Use 4"x 6" instead of 4x4. Make them as long as you reasonably can (5' or 6' ?) Use through bolts (must drill counter sink on bottom) not lag screws.

Yes that is a good idea. Lag bolts could pull out potentially and a 4x6 wouldn’t want to roll over. I will adjust the plan.

View attachment 316562

I don't think rotating it is a good idea. Have a tow truck lift it, back your trailer under it then set it down

IM, jealous, vintage DRO too

I hate to spend your money for you, but perhaps a rigger is in order. Picking up from the top is always preferable, for, well, almost everything. You cannot tip it over when lifting from the top. Maybe renting a forklift.

The long skids are key for travelling, but moving on off the truck is where most drops happen, and a forklift picking form the top prevents that

If I was moving this machine I would lift it with a toe jack going around and around while adding blocking. You lift about an inch and half at time so you'll want a good collection of 2x4 and plywood cut offs. Eventually you'll get a little over 5 inches high. Slide three 4x4s lengthwise under the machine. Make sure your foot print is nice and wide so actually the two outer 4x4s won't be under the machine. Then cross them with some 2x6s (at least 4 foot wide, maybe 5 foot?) and screw everything together. Use some lags to secure the skid to the machine. I've even used desk screws with fender washers. While this won't keep the machine from flipping over it does keep the machine positioned on your skid. Trust me if the machine isn't secured to the skid it will walk on you just a question of how much. If you feel the need throw a couple of ratchet straps over the machine and strap it to the skid. I keep some tie downs I screw to the skid for this purpose. Now that we the machine on a nice wide base skid we use our pallet jack under the headstock end. I would then roll it on to the trailer head stock first. Drop your pallet jack and strap everything to the trailer. Once its strapped down you can pump the pallet jack back up till is just engages the skid which will need the pallet jack from rolling around and making a heck of racket. I would NOT try to move it sideways under any circumstance. Side to side is the least stable direction for this machine.

Mike

I've moved mine 5 times. Once forklifted onto tail end of a tractor trailer with 4x4's just loose underneath and strapped down. 1700 miles. No issues.
The second time it was forklifted into the back end of my brothers 1 ton PU with same blocks and rode loose even up the side of a mountain to get to his cabin. 45 miles. No issues.
Third time it was lifted from its bed with a chain and deposited onto a trailer via John Deere loader. Sat on same 4x4's and straped down. 200 miles. No issues.
Fourth time it was crated and forklifted onto and off a tractor truck. 1800 miles. No issues.
Last time to my new house It rode loose on a pallet jack and we used a roll back truck. It was at about a 30 degree incline and we simply hooked the winch hook onto a cross chain that was locked into the pallet jack front wheel holes and it was winched on board,, teetering and a tottering. Came off the same way. Its still sitting loose on those same 4x4's.

I think the reality is that the base of that thing is like 1300 pounds all by its lonesome. Its not top heavy at all. I think the entire lathe top side is 700 lbs and its total weight is abut 3000. They are heavy and scary, but they do stay put once sat down. Good center of mass. Use adequate loading equipment and you'll be fine. Don't use that old swing set chain a 1/4 inch bolt to hold it. Or a mini excavator. That's where it gets stupid and things get broken. Just my 2c Don

I regularly move 10ees with a pallet jack. You can lift the lathe from the headstock end (parallel with the ways.)
Here is how I do it.
1 I use a toe jack to lift the lathe
2 I place a 36" 4x4 under the tailstock end. perpendicular to the ways
3 place a short 4x4 under the headstock, perpendicular to ways, short enough to fit between the forks of the pallet jack
4 roll the pallet jack under the headstock straddling the short 4x4
5 the front of the pallet jack forks should be just past the center of the lathe. I use a piece of 1/2" steel plate 6" wide and long enough to go across the pallet jack forks.
the steel plate on the front of the forks will support the middle section of the lathe
6 jack it up and roll it over to the hydraulic trailer. tailstock end goes in first
7 make sure there are a couple extra people to keep the lathe steady when you are moving it around
8 attach a come along to the front rail of the trailer
9 use slings or chains or hooks to attach the come along to the two square openings on the front of the pallet jack forks
10 use the come along to get the small front wheels of the pallet jack over the front lip of the trailer
11 you can usually push it the rest of the way
12 if you rent the tandem axle JLG drop deck trailer, if you slide the tailstock of the lathe all the way up to the front rail of the trailer, the heavy headstock end will be just over the axles
Jack up the lathe and place the long 4x4 under the tailstock for traveling
pull the pallet jack out using the short 4x4 under the headstock
lift the headstock end using the front of the forks, place a 40" 4x4 under the headstock perpendicular to the ways for traveling
I use at least 3 2" straps to strap the lathe to the rings
you could also use the chains that are provided with the rental but they will ruin the paint.

This is the way I have done it a couple of times with no issues.
if you dont have the confidence to do it this way then by all means hire a rigger or a forklift

PM me if you need some more details

I have moved my 1943 10EE 4 or 5 times and lifted it every time. First I would remove anything that can fall off while moving and put that on a separate pallet or in boxes. Covers, tailstock, anything, I put everything back on once loaded and wrap with heavy shrink wrap to secure everything. Next I would run the carriage all the way to the right. Then feed a heavy lift strap starting at the tail stock end down under the bed casting and reach down by headstock and pull the strap up. The strap pulls on a heavy web in the center of the bed. The strap does not go over the ways, it is pulling up in the center and is trapped so if things go bad it cannot slip and upset the weight balance. My lathe balances out well doimg this method, it will swing a little so have someone guide it. Have used pipe or pallet jack to move into position of shop. Once imto position, pry bars and blocks will work unless you machinery jacks to lower it to the floor.
A 10EE weighs aprox 3000 lbs proceed with caution. A roll of shrink wrap would be a good investment to wrap the lathe on the trailer or truck. Good luck!
Jeff

Congrats on the 10EE!! Only word of advise is watch out for sunken wheel tracks in the diamond plate bed of those rental trailers. They're not all that noticeable but very hazardous to the narrow wheels of a pallet jack with a BP mill or 3500lb. lathe. Especially if you're going to spin it 90 degrees. Tow Truck lowering onto your trailer may well be worth the money. Good luck on the move and stay safe!!

Thank you all for the responses. Unfortunately, I am not great at responding in a timely matter!

I think that I am still going to use the pallet jack method but adjust my plan to follow Electrician1's plan more closely.(Not sure why I though loading it sideways would be a good idea...) I would not mind renting a tow truck but the guys shop has a bit of a lip on it going to the driveway and I am planning on backing the trailer slightly into the garage past the lip. I also can't quite remember if there would be enough room to have a tow truck maneuvering around to get the lathe onto the trailer. I got a good deal on the lathe so I don't mind spending a bit more to get it home if I need to rent anything. At my house there would be enough room for a tow truck and I might have it unloaded that way.

I appreciate all of the replies and have read every one of them. I thank you all so much for the good ideas! I will make sure to take everything really slow so I can post some pictures of it back at my house and not make a sad "Monarch was dropped" thread! I should be able to have 2-3 people stabilizing the lathe while it is going onto the trailer and I think it should all work fine.

Thanks,

-Chris

tow truck is usually a hundred bucks or so.

If he can stick the boom in the garage he should be able to drive it out on the street, hanging from the boom, and load it on your truck.

Things are super top heavy and one bump and you will spend a long time crying.

i would also advise removing all the covers, tailstock, etc before driving anywhere.

Good luck!

tow truck is usually a hundred bucks or so.

If he can stick the boom in the garage he should be able to drive it out on the street, hanging from the boom, and load it on your truck.

Things are super top heavy and one bump and you will spend a long time crying.

i would also advise removing all the covers, tailstock, etc before driving anywhere.

Good luck!

Yeah I’ll just start making some calls and see what I can do. $200 for loading and unloading is cheap insurance. It would be pretty much impossible to replace the lathe if anything happens to it. I think having 4 people telling me to lift it might be a sign as well. Thanks!

UPDATE: THERE IS A TOWING COMPNAY 3 MILES FROM THE GUYS HOME SO I WILL GIVE THEM A CALL

-Chris

Don't even go near it, then.
Overhead-Lift a 10EE.
Auto wrecker or forklift.
With a strap, INSIDE the bed, round the first web in front of the headstock, no part of it WHATSOEVER is routed OUTSIDE the bed.
Can't reach nor damage any rods or handles that way.
Adust tilt with a supplementary strap or protected chain to HS rear.
Remove all covers, secure separately. TS & saddle should be criss-cross strapped, not just locked. So they cannot move and alter point of balance. Nor try to slide off.

i have to agree with @thermite on this ;)

i have moved mine several times and used a strap on the first web of the bed and a 5000-lb forklift. the lathe will balance perfectly and is designed to be moved this way.

sure, rolling around your shop with a pallet jack is fine, but i would be very hesitant to roll the 10EE on anything but a flat surface. just my $0.02, i know there is a lot of other good info already posted...

Agree with above two posts. The other option is one of the crane companies. In Las Vegas the tow truck company wanted $200 to come lift the machine off the trailer. A crane company only charged me $150 to come to my house and lift it. I used a 4x6 underneath the bed at the headstock and the lift strap through the ways around the lumber.

An advantage of a crane is they can move the machine a bit. The crane picked it up off the trailer on the street and then slowly boomed it to within about 6 inches of my garage door onto its waiting dolly, keeping me from having to worry about rolling it up my slightly graded driveway.

You are making my head hurt, just use a strap , pick it up around the bed web in front of the chuck with the tail stock and carriage all the way back and use a forklift, crane, or tow truck, forget the fancy stuff....I have move over 50 this way...Phil

Back