What's new
What's new

Monarch 13 EE video.

The lathe will be sold. We haven’t worked out the details yet. Is selling something allowed here on this forum?

The lathe will be sold. We haven’t worked out the details yet. Is selling something allowed here on this forum?
Awesome! Great video showing all the functions of the machine. I always wondered what it was like to use some of those features. Looks like a fully loaded 13ee as well. Quite the machine for sure.

There is a for sale section. I would imagine that there would be quite a lot of interest in the machine.

Tomorrow I will post it in the for sale section.
The lathe is in Friendswood TX very close to Houston Hobby airport. I’ll give more details and price tomorrow. I want to speak to Steve’s daughter first.

Chips, I’m new to this forum. Your post says PM sent. I assume that means Private Message. Where do I find it?

I am attaching the 13EE specifications page from a brochure dated 1953. It listed the weight as 10,250 lbs, but this lathe's original motor-generator set and its cast-iron cabinet that attaches to the lathe base is not present, as that has been replaced with a Toshiba VFD, so it has lost some weight. This particular 13EE was ordered by the Naval Underwater Sound Laboratory, New London, CT in 1951, and delivered almost two years later, in 1953.

Attachments

• Monarch 13EE Specs.jpg
    Monarch 13EE Specs.jpg
    702.7 KB · Views: 17
The 'base length is 30" bed' add 400 to these numbers for a 54" bed.

My 13EE that is a 54" bed without hydraulic tailstock and, no motor/generator or cabinet weighs around 10K maybe a bit more.
Have you also gone to an AC motor and VFD for yours? Did you rebuild the hydraulic/mechanical gear changing from the apron and the constant surface speed using the original design, or did you make different arrangements (like a PLC) to avoid all those clacking relays?

I do have an AC motor/drive 15HP inverter duty motor. The previous owner did a half ass conversion using a10HP motor and gutted the shifter rack n the headstock. I have a linear actuator to shift from open belt or low range, the VFD can handle the speed ranges OK with this set up, not idea but the missing pieces are like unicorn jewels! The constant speed is driven off a speed pot, I don't have the constant surface speed synced as well as I would like it is a work in progress.

Back