What's new
What's new

Monarch AA Feed Rod

cheapskate

Plastic
I was told to repost this here:
Link to original post in General: link

This is my first Monarch. I just got it out of a storage building where it sat for a decade and have it outside cleaning it up before bringing it in. White the normal data plate is not to be found, there is a stamping of AA3682 on the side and the top end has the same number plus an inspector's stamp. The fellow I got it from had issues with it popping out of gear on the apron and told me it had a stripped gear. I pulled the apron off and don't see anything wrong with the gears (other than the thread counter is worn out) but it had fallen at some point and various things are brazed together and I think the throw of the bevel gears on the bottom is probably the issue as they don't engage all the way and jump. Other than cleaning up some real ugly patching on handles, my main issue is the feed rod. it is both worn down in size and for 10 inches the slot is almost twice as wide. I thought about reversing it but with the diameter so small I am thinking I should just buy a new cold rolled and mill a slot? I have not got it disassembled to see what the part that engages the slot looks like, I am assuming it is a key stock like thing such as the Southbends use? It was so filthy I had to pressure wash it and now have it suspended over a barrel spraying with diesel trying to get it all cleaned up before I take anything else apart. While it sure has some issues with the fall and repairs, the ways are super nice. I sometimes turn heavier stuff and while I like my Southbends, this is just a little more heavy duty. The lead screw doesn't seem to have the wear the feed rod does so I think it will be fine but if someone wants to give their two cents about replacing the feed rod I would appreciate it. Thanks PS: It looks bad in the picture as the bed was covered in grease before storage so that dirt not rust.

Attachments​

Attachments

• 438034934_10233134929178021_8051886796053874011_n.jpg
    438034934_10233134929178021_8051886796053874011_n.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:
I was told to repost this here so-
as
This is my first Monarch. I just got it out of a storage building where it sat for a decade and have it outside cleaning it up before bringing it in. White the normal data plate is not to be found, there is a stamping of AA3682 on the side and the top end has the same number plus an inspector's stamp. The fellow I got it from had issues with it popping out of gear on the apron and told me it had a stripped gear. I pulled the apron off and don't see anything wrong with the gears (other than the thread counter is worn out) but it had fallen at some point and various things are brazed together and I think the throw of the bevel gears on the bottom is probably the issue as they don't engage all the way and jump. Other than cleaning up some real ugly patching on handles, my main issue is the feed rod. it is both worn down in size and for 10 inches the slot is almost twice as wide. I thought about reversing it but with the diameter so small I am thinking I should just buy a new cold rolled and mill a slot? I have not got it disassembled to see what the part that engages the slot looks like, I am assuming it is a key stock like thing such as the Southbends use? It was so filthy I had to pressure wash it and now have it suspended over a barrel spraying with diesel trying to get it all cleaned up before I take anything else apart. While it sure has some issues with the fall and repairs, the ways are super nice. I sometimes turn heavier stuff and while I like my Southbends, this is just a little more heavy duty. The lead screw doesn't seem to have the wear the feed rod does so I think it will be fine but if someone wants to give their two cents about replacing the feed rod I would appreciate it. Thanks PS: It looks bad in the picture as the bed was covered in grease before storage so that dirt not rust.

Attachments​

Looks like it has their flanged spindle nose that was in use back then

I would be inclined to just buy a new section of keyed shafting. I think it would probably be a whole lot less headache than trying to mill a keyway into a section of cold roll and having to deal with multiple setups and the inevitable bananaification of the shaft. Here's a link to some keyed shafting at Surplus Center just to give you an idea of pricing https://www.surpluscenter.com/Power...yed-Shafting-3-16-Wide-Keyway-1-2982-87-6.axd .

Cheap,
I am following your restoration because I just acquired an AA Model and mine does not have the normal data plate either. Mine is Lot #3514, so a bit earlier than yours. The Service Manager at Monarch sent me the original order sheet for the 14" x 6' lathe and the date was November 30, 1930. My lathe has the threaded spindle and not the flanged spindle like yours.
Mine is in the same condition as yours and I will be rebuilding it as soon as I get it moved into the shop.

Attachments

• Lathe Front.jpg
    Lathe Front.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 10

Back