What's new
What's new

Monarch model 610/612 series lathe dimension help needed!

bsg

Titanium
I'm looking at a possibly getting one of these model lathes, I'm looking for the width of the lathe on both ends.
I called Monarch and was told the headstock is six foot wide, think that is possibly how much floor space is required? Can anyone confirm or give me the actual width of the machine, not the floorspace required?

Thanks for any help!

Kevin

texasgeartrain

Titanium
I'm looking at a possibly getting one of these model lathes, I'm looking for the width of the lathe on both ends.
I called Monarch and was told the headstock is six foot wide, think that is possibly how much floor space is required? Can anyone confirm or give me the actual width of the machine, not the floorspace required?

Thanks for any help!

Kevin

My series 60 headstock base is like 38" front to rear with doors and such included. 36" on TS end. But I'd expect 610/612's to be larger yet.

A 612 was more of a class, which had 3 of its own models. Each model the bed width get progressively wider. Pages 8 & 9:
Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - Monarch Turning Machines | VintageMachinery.org

The pdf:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/19729.pdf

Shipping weights listed in specs, but not dimensions.

Robert R

Cast Iron
The series 610 sales brochure shows a floor space of 53 x 107" for the 16 inch swing short bed. The 24 inch swing lathe requires a width of 57 inches. The wide floor space is needed to allow the door of the electrical panel attached to the back of the headstock to swing open. If the lathe has the contactors, main circuit breaker, and 24 volt transformer mounted in a stand alone cabinet the required floor space would be determined by the width of the chip pan plus the apron handle projection.

As a guess the minimum pan width is the bed width + the apron width + the taper attachment extension width or 14" + 8" + 12"= 34" for the 16" swing lathe. The apron handles project out another 8 inches. That is a total width of 42 inches. A full size chip pan with back splash as shown in the catalog would be about 10 inches wider for a total of 52 inches. That is very close to the catalog specification of 53" inches.

bsg

Titanium
Thanks guys for the info, that will help with how much floor space will be required!

I know about Keith Ruckers site, just couldn't find the info there.....not a lot on the 610/612 series machines?

Kevin

texasgeartrain

Titanium
Thanks guys for the info, that will help with how much floor space will be required!

I know about Keith Ruckers site, just couldn't find the info there.....not a lot on the 610/612 series machines?

Kevin

When you go to Vintage Machinery under Monarch, then publications, click "pub date" at the top of columns. That will sort the pubs by year.

At the end of that list you'll see pubs of "unknown" date. In the unknowns there are two 612 manuals. A parts book, and an operations maintenance manual.

Last edited:

jlegge

Stainless
Here is some additional information. As mentioned Series 62, 612, 610, 613 and 614 have different models, 1610, 2013, 2416 and 2818 were the most common and there are others that were raised in the sand. In general the Series 62, 612 and 614 uses the same bed and general floor plan (there are motors outside the base and motors inside the base). The series 610 was considered a light series 612 with narrower bed and base legs, and thus all model of series 610 do not match the other series mentioned. One of the big disadvantage is the steady rest are not interchangeable, and the bed widths differ between Series 610 and Series 62, 612, 610, 613 and 614. Monarch then made things really complicated by the Series 613 with is a combination of the 610 and 612 models, and right now I do not remember which models matches which series.

So if you can find a brochure for anyone of Series 62, 612 and 614 then it would be very close to the others. For the Series 610, you will need to find a specific brochure for that series.

Hope that was not too confusing,

John L.

bsg

Titanium
When you go to Vintage Machinery under Monarch, then publications, click "pub date" at the top of columns. That will sort the pubs by year.

At the end of that list you'll see pubs of "unknown" date. In the unknowns there are two 612 manuals. A parts book, and an operations maintenance manual.

Good tip on sorting the list out!

I seen those manuals, was mainly looking for the dimensions, not so much the functions.......I have a model 61 with similar functions!

Here is some additional information. As mentioned Series 62, 612, 610, 613 and 614 have different models, 1610, 2013, 2416 and 2818 were the most common and there are others that were raised in the sand. In general the Series 62, 612 and 614 uses the same bed and general floor plan (there are motors outside the base and motors inside the base). The series 610 was considered a light series 612 with narrower bed and base legs, and thus all model of series 610 do not match the other series mentioned. One of the big disadvantage is the steady rest are not interchangeable, and the bed widths differ between Series 610 and Series 62, 612, 610, 613 and 614. Monarch then made things really complicated by the Series 613 with is a combination of the 610 and 612 models, and right now I do not remember which models matches which series.

So if you can find a brochure for anyone of Series 62, 612 and 614 then it would be very close to the others. For the Series 610, you will need to find a specific brochure for that series.

Hope that was not too confusing,

John L.

Thanks, John for posting, I've read several threads you posted this info in, great resource!

It is a little confusing about the different models......now I will know some of the differences to look for!

Thanks again everyone!

Kevin

bsg

Titanium
I have a 2013 Series 62 lathe, I just measured the width of the headstock. The width from the closed electrical cabinet to the knob on the gear box is just over 49". The electrical cabinet door is 22" wide so the 6 foot number includes the door opening.

Steve

Thanks Steve!

That’s what I suspected when Monarch said 6’ wide at the headstock…….

Kevin

matt_isserstedt

Diamond
I'll measure tomorrow, the electrical panel door-swing-radius is a thing, I sorted my machine out as well as possible with respect to overload heaters and then skated it over to the wall.

I realize this isn't ideal and probably violates NEC arc blast requirements. I will attempt not to cross the streams....

bsg

Titanium
Thanks again everyone for the help!

Another dimension I'm looking for, the spindle centerline to the back of the lathe?

The reason for all the questions, I have the shop laid out in AutoCad, I'm trying keep the machine within reach of my Jib crane and as close to the wall as possible for wiring......

Kevin