What's new
What's new

Moore Jig borer

I see what you are saying. My top reservoir looked empty. The bottom looked empty as well and the drain sits above the bottom so I didn't want to run any cleaner through the system as I didn't know how to get it all out. I filled the top until it overflowed ( excrutiating long time as the flow is sooooo slow ). Nothing seemed to come to the bottom but it may just take a long time. I'll look at the top tomorrow and see if the level has gone down.

When you look at yours, see what the Reeves belts are like. Fat and soft or hard replacements? Any numbering that would lead you to the proper length? Dave

My top reservoir was empty too. I checked it 2 days later and it was still full, then I ran the machine for a minute and checked and it was still full. My top is back on so I can't check the belts today, but could check them on Monday if you want. Thanks for lubing yours. The lower plug must just be a drain for whatever? Any water in yours?

Mine was dry but I'm going to put some oil in the bottom hole. I think the oil climbs up the worm so some in there can't hurt.

I also wonder what the two stops on the vertical shaft are for. I think they are stops of some sort.

I took off the grease drain and squirted grease until the SKF blue started to come out. It needed grease but what came out looked decent so that was a good sign. Soaked the drain fitting in cleaner and will install today. The whole top unit was pretty clean, just a little grime. Could not detect wear on the reeves flanges. I don't think the 2926 belts are quite right but they work. Dave

EDIT: Went back in and put some gear oil in the bottom hole. It didn't take more than an ounce or two. The stops are indeed to adjust the variable rpm contactors so I adjusted them to get the full 2500 rpm on the top end. I had thought the belts being a little long might be the cause for the 2000 limit I had previously but it was just the kickout stop. Really a sweet machine if the AC bearings are good. Dave

Last edited:
I also, only got an ounce or two in the bottom hole. My high speed is around 2000 too, so I'm curious about the stops- I didn't notice them, so I'll have to take the top 'off' again next week. Thanks for the tip. By the way, my ser # is 5166. Keith

You can access the stops without removing the cover from the top. Run the high to the top speed and stop. You will see which stop has triggered the cutoff and you only move it slightly. You might also want to verify the tach is reading correctly. Mine was about 300 rpm off compared to my laser tach. Inside the electrical box you can see the back of the tach. The round cardboard cylinder can be moved slightly right or left which changes the position of the needle.

I think my # is close to yours. Here it is. DSCN3831.jpg

Dave, Thanks so much. Adjusted the stop and i'm up to 2400rpm with a low of 170. I might go to a digital tach. My original analog tach was toast so I replaced it with a new Chinese analog, but the card isn't quite right and is a pain to adjust. Keith

Back