What's new
What's new

Moore taper tooling, unknown function

Froneck

Titanium
Always looking for Moore tooling I don't have I found this and purchased it on ebay. I'm thinking maybe I can make a metric tool holder out of it. Anyone know what it's intended use is?CIMG2198.JPG

Attachments

• CIMG2200.JPG
    CIMG2200.JPG
    387.1 KB · Views: 15
I haven't been able to remove the screw, inserting a hex wrench into the hex socket I wasn't able to turn the screw in any direction. It maybe loctited. Threads visible are 1/2" Right hand probably NF though I didn't check actual pitch. Slight countersink in threaded hole opening I can see the threads continue below the surface. Maybe I can heat the item to 250° to try softening loctite if used.

I am thinking that it may have been for a shell end mill holder.
Clarkson and some others may shell endmills with a threaded body and the Clarkson Dead Lock had some setscrews that tightened the center screw .
You can see an example here .
I have one for an R8 shank but can't find it at the moment .
It would have at least 1/2" pilot thread .
I have some other smaller similar European threaded shell end mills that someone made an adapter for that I took a picture of .
I think these were more common in the U.K. and Europe so there may be some standards that I'm not aware of .
I know of a few shops where they were used at one time but likely not seeing much use now.

Attachments

• IMG_2347.JPG
    IMG_2347.JPG
    752 KB · Views: 3
Froneck,
Since you are you looking for anything Moore that you don't have,
how about this gem; Moore Tools Pantograph Wheel Dresser. Send a PM if seriously interested. Nice used condition.
spaeth
DSCN4284.JPG

Spaeth, I have a Moore Jig Borer, what does a wheel dresser do on a Jig Borer? I am interested in any Metric tool holders with Moore taper.
Jim not sure shell mills are used in Jig Borer, I do some very light milling on one of my #3 Moore but with very small mills

Froneck,
Shot in the dark, your post said; "Always looking for Moore tooling I don't have." Did not specify Jig Borer tooling. The pantograph adds a whole new realm any brand of surface grinder. And like all Moore Tools they are top of the line.
spaeth

My fault, I should have mentioned Jig Borer tooling. I do have a B&S surface grinder but rarely dress a radius, have a simple radius dresser that I use once in a blue moon. Your correct in that Moore tools are top of the line! Unfortunately using a pantograph to dress a wheel is beyond my pay grade.

Back