What's new
What's new

Morat B9 Gear Hobbing machine + weird collets

Isometric

Plastic
Good morning all,

I recently purchased a Morat B9 gear hobbing machine at auction, however it is missing parts.
It appears to be missing the spindle that the hobbing cutter rotates on, along with a telescoping universal joint that transmits power to the hobbing cutter while it moves.

Wondering if anyone here has owned one of these machines or has a copy of the owners manual. Lathes.co.uk has a copy available for sale, but it's quite expensive. It would be a valuable resource to rebuild this machine.
The machine also came with these puzzling collets. They have a taper on both ends, ID of 10mm and OD of 18.82mm, single split down the middle.

I've never seen anything like it, does anyone here recognise them?
In the long run I'm considering converting the machine to ER-32 collets, and building a new hobbing spindle.

Any help much appreciated!

P7290091.jpg
P7290102.jpg
P7290094.jpg
P7290092.jpg

I can help you, I have one of these in running order and the manual to go with it.
Mine does not use that style of collet, the work is held in long Swiss collets as used by BCA in their jig borers.
Perhaps it would be easier if you pm me
Peter

I can help you, I have one of these in running order and the manual to go with it.
Mine does not use that style of collet, the work is held in long Swiss collets as used by BCA in their jig borers.
Perhaps it would be easier if you pm me
Peter
Hello Peter,

do you still use your Morat? Could you show us Pictures of your machine? I have the opnion to get one to for restoration. Would it be possible to get a copy of your manual too? :)

best whishes from germany,
Andy

Hi Andy
yes I do use my machine along with a B11. I am away from home just now but will post some pics when I get back.
yes you are welcome to a copy of the book.
Bear in mind that it will only cut spurs up to about 50 mm dia, that said it is compact and easy to:set up

Hi All,
I would also be interested in the manual as I own same machine and I would have it working order...possible ?
Thanks

Back