What's new
What's new

More miniature turning.....

Thats beautiful work.
Multiply or divide by 25.4 which ever way you want to go.
Where in europe?

I doubt that I can add much to what has been suggested. It is trying at times to use the metric system when you have used inches forever. I know the metric system is easier and I use it a lot. I work in a research department of a large university and I deal with people that only know the metric system. Common sense would say just use the metric system but, hey, machinists are hard headed. I use a combination of methods. The easiest is the digital caliper. I also find the TI-36X calculator helpful. It has direct conversion of weight, measurement, and temperature. I use CAD for most drawings and that makes conversion simple.

I have an question about miniatures. I have admired your work since seeing an article in Fine Woodworking many years ago. I am a wannabe as far as miniatures. My interest is in machinery and tools. My question is this: Is the 1/12 scale the most common scale to use? I realize it would not be appropriate for some things. I started a scale live steam locomotive in 1" scale only to find that no one else uses it much around here. Are there resources and tools that are better suited to certain scales?

Another question- are there groups or forums that deal with miniatures other than say the doll houses? I'm sure I just don't know where to look.

Thanks again for posting photos of your wonderful work. It really is an inspiration.

Terry

One of the things thats really nice about SolidWorks is once you've modeled a part, you extrapolate a sheet drawing from it in minutes. Once you've done that, you just select tools-options-document properties and under "units" select milimeters-grams-seconds. You can save an inch version and a metric version if you'd like.

BTW, beautiful work as always.

" Is the 1/12 scale the most common scale to use? ".... each "hobby" seems to have it's own set of popular scales so there really is no one scale that folks in all fields work in...... the dollhouse crowd does use 1/12th as their standard..... some of the railroad scales are base on track size..... toy soldiers use scales like 54MM for the height of an average man.... and so on. As to where to find forums with high quality decorative arts type miniatures I really don't know of any.

Thanks for all your comments..... and about the metric conversion...... I don't use any kind of computer drawing software...... just a pencil and scrap of paper.

I'm rather fond of this web-based unit converter --- once you set the units out of a pop-up menu, all you do is enter the measurement in one field, and it's conversion pops up in the other on the fly. No function keys, no equal key.

One other nice feature is that you can put measurements in either field.

http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/

Since I do a lot of work on Japanese motorcycle bits, but do not own metric micrometers, I convert all the metric units on my drawings into inches with 4 decimal places before I start work.

Rivett -- For a long time, I have admired the minatures you have taken time to photograph and post for us. I have a three questions:

1) Do you make most of these items for yourself or do people hire you to fab them.

2) You wrote you were getting ready to teach a classes in Europe -- have you got any classes scheduled for this side of the pond?

3) Do you have a website where there are more pictures of your miniatures?

WG...

1) YES...... I have NO employees.... I make all of these pieces..... 30+ years ago I ran a shop for a company with a staff of 45.... when I left I said never again will I put up with that...... so it has just been me ever since.

2) I only do one a class a year in the US..... the announcement for that is due out later this month..... send me a pm for information

3) No........ the Practical Machinist is about the only place on the web to see my work....... I tend to stay fairly well hidden except here where I hide behind the name rivett. This way maybe I can get something done from time to time.

" those feet are just dandy, can you show us one of the woodscrews?".........

Here are the bottoms and screws of one...... just for size, that is a 1/8" rod that the foot is turned on the end.....

inkstandbottom.jpg

Are my eyes going or is the bottom of that dime sized disk (upper right) engraved at the bottom edge? (it probably is and it's probably the deceleration of independence in 1/1000000 scale)

If it is you are really insane.

That of course is incredible work by anyones standard.

Thanks for the pictures.

Dave

Impressive work sir, I've used digitals to convert units, not much different than a slide rule which I'm old enough to have used. I suspect you have used them also.

I prefer the calculator since it has other uses though pencil and paper leaves a record of the calculations. You can make a mistake with either one though.

The only reason I'll ever get a digital caliper is the ability to set zero mid span to act as an amount of metal to remove calculator. That is one place where a digital has an edge in usability.

Clutch

"Are my eyes going or is the bottom of that dime sized disk (upper right) engraved at the bottom edge? (it probably is and it's probably the deceleration of independence in 1/1000000 scale)"
----------------------------------------
It says "Made by Lilliputian midgets" :D

Hello!
Get the ESB unit conversion utility program it's free and convert almost everything, just google for it!

Shame on you Rivette,
Free those lil' munchkin machinists! !!!

Nice work as always you just amazed me, I,m still in awe of that mini drafting classroom work you put up awhile back.

Yes you do see letters across the bottom.... it is my name stamp..... I think this was shown in the toolchest thread along with the link to the company that made it.

Back