What's new
What's new

More new Haas issues.....

Limiting is not reducing offering. My VF4 has full travel as specified and doesn't hit the covers. I am betting he was getting allowed over travel which they set params correct and now he still have spec travel

Limiting is not reducing offering. My VF4 has full travel as specified and doesn't hit the covers. I am betting he was getting allowed over travel which they set params correct and now he still have spec travel

He said (clearly) he lost 1/2" of Y travel from the spec travel of the machine.

He said (clearly) he lost 1/2" of Y travel from the spec travel of the machine.
That's not how I read his reply but I see now he answers a question that said How much did you loose from spec with 1/2" . I would be interested to see the travel on the DRO now showing that and if so I would certainly be having a chat with HAAS

That's not how I read his reply but I see now he answers a question that said How much did you loose from spec with 1/2" . I would be interested to see the travel on the DRO now showing that and if so I would certainly be having a chat with HAAS

Maybe you missed it. In post #19 the op clearly states he lost 1/2" of Y travel from the machine specs.

Maybe you missed it. In post #19 the op clearly states he lost 1/2" of Y travel from the machine specs.
Didnt't miss it it just read more like they had limited it from what it was travelling which if it was hitting the way covers I expect it was over traveling. My VF4 and VF2 has space between Ways and table and get full spec and I doubt this machine was built on different castings so it made more sense it was an adjustment issue and was now limited from what it was.

As I said it would just be interesting to see the DRO to show actual movement the machine now has as if HAAS made it 1/2" under actual sold spec then I would be pissed

Didnt't miss it it just read more like they had limited it from what it was travelling which if it was hitting the way covers I expect it was over traveling. My VF4 and VF2 has space between Ways and table and get full spec and I doubt this machine was built on different castings so it made more sense it was an adjustment issue and was now limited from what it was.

As I said it would just be interesting to see the DRO to show actual movement the machine now has as if HAAS made it 1/2" under actual sold spec then I would be pissed
How about this, two brand new 2022 machines both got a " patch" from Haas, one machine got a new bellows cover on warranty. The "patch" took the geniuses 3 days to complete, tell me sir if it was simply over traveling 1- how did it pass final inspection and 2- why wasn't it an instant fix of just setting parameters back to same numerical values as every other VF4 instead of a special access code and a thumb drive overnighted from California ? To make a long story short, we now have 19.500" of travel in Y axis.Whatever the deal between ownership and Haas was I'm not privy to but I do believe we did get some sort of compensation.
1675866763650.png

Weirdly, on the two identical VF4's the same 4th Axis we bought with the machines will run programs all day everyday on one mill but when moved alarms out on the other mill with same program . A tech is working on that too- under warranty.

Probably a poor place to deposit this info but didn't want to start another thread. Another big problem we had with these newest VF's was with the way-covers reacting to the [previous] coolant we used. We were using Blaser synthetic and it was eating away at the metal. After noticing a week into machining the damage we ended up shopping for a different coolant. That Blaser synthetic, boy it never wore out but damn was it hard on the paint and rubber of both Haas and Okuma machinery. Just beware of what coolant you use with these newest ones.
My 2019 VF4 haas this problem as well. they know and dont care.

Weirdly, on the two identical VF4's the same 4th Axis we bought with the machines will run programs all day everyday on one mill but when moved alarms out on the other mill with same program . A tech is working on that too- under warranty.
Our ST15 kept dropping the activation codes when powered off, WIth the new update about half of our programs need to be altered or completely re programed for them to work.

I would be very hesitant on buying another one from what i have been seeing.
I have a older VF3
The rest of these were all bought new in the last 9 years.
2017 VF2 No complaints
2020 VF2 Way cover issues as mentioned above
2019 VF4 Way cover issues as mentioned above
2019 VF9 only complaint, Paid for Spindle air blast. It has never worked.
2014 ST10 No complaints.
2020 ST15Y dual spindle, B axis ball screw replaced, Bad again. Grease issue from factory that is still not fixed. Turned out the machine was a trial machine for haas, sold as new. Had hundreds of hours on it and Over 2K tool changes.

It seems every year they cut another corner to reduce quality in exchange for no price change. Haas was always my go to machine, I didn't even entertain another brand when I was getting started. Its looking like our next mill will be a DNS

We did buy a doosan lynx 2600SY a year ago. We have been really happy with that machine.

Last edited:
You know machine are just dumb mechanical beasts. Take your bra off, remove the way covers, move the home switch a 1/2 inch, check for collisions and put your travel back in your control. They all have the same ballscrews...unless they mis machined the table you got options.

You know machine are just dumb mechanical beasts. Take your bra off, remove the way covers, move the home switch a 1/2 inch, check for collisions and put your travel back in your control. They all have the same ballscrews...unless they mis machined the table you got options.

Did you miss the part where it's crunching way covers at the nameplate travel?

I've squeaked extra travel out of a few of my Jap machines. My Puma lathe I got 2 extra inches in Z. They even put the extra holes in the casting for the switch dogs. That extra travel puts the way covers "right there" though. No room for chips packing up inside the stops or anything.

Did you miss the part where it's crunching way covers at the nameplate travel?

I've squeaked extra travel out of a few of my Jap machines. My Puma lathe I got 2 extra inches in Z. They even put the extra holes in the casting for the switch dogs. That extra travel puts the way covers "right there" though. No room for chips packing up inside the stops or anything.
Take apart a Haas still under warranty and fiddle with locations and switches, why would such a robust mechanically impeccable machine need a warranty anyway lol ? One of the 2 twins just lost Z servo and/or amp last week but I'm sure Gene would say it's ok if they moved around ball screws and switches , warrant it all . By the way, they tried relocation idea already like the first trip in and no dice sadly . I get why folks think its that easy (as it should be honestly) but never underestimate Haas's ability to F things up.

It is obviously either

A. Homing that axis in the wrong location
B. Machined over 1/2" off

I would start by looking at the extents of the travel and remedying the situation myself because clearly you are getting nowhere with your factory outlet. I mean...you havent even looked but you want to spend energy admitting total defeat. Fuck that I would have that bastard torn down before admitting defeat.

Back