What's new
What's new

More problems for Boeing

750 kilotons equivalent. I do not think a manpad is far enough away for the user to live. I do not have a death wish. Hiroshima was only 12-16 kilotons. There is a reason california decided not to allow them to dock in the state. They have to go to Mexico instead.
No, seriously, I think you'd fit right in at State.

First off, Russia doesn't send natural gas to Europe in LNG ships. They have a pipeline. It travels through Ukraine. They pay Ukraine billions of dollars a year in transit fees, which just may have something to do with this. Last time we invaded a country it was a month after Hussein signed a contract with the rooskies instead of Brown & Root to build a pipeline to Aquaba. What a coincidence.

(You may remember them. They sent LBJ to Congress. Best government money can buy.)

Almost completed now is Nordstream 2 which does not travel through Ukraine. The US is furious about that, at least as far back as Trump and probably before. Lots of discussions about "sanctions" (aka extortion, "hey there buddy, you gots a real nice little country there, sure wouldn't want to see anything happen to it, wouldja ? Better do what we say ...") Why the US thinks it gets to tell Germany what to do, mmm, yeah. Totally innocent, I'm sure, nothing to do with this situation. Bad Putin, bad madman, crazed insane dictator ! All his fault !

And Germany doesn't have any LNG ports either, but let's just use our imagination. Let's say Russia sent an LNG tanker to Hamburg because a German company bought the gas because they need it and paid for it (oh wait ! the US says Germany can't buy stuff from Russia, so no dice ! uh-oh ! they are breaking Free Market rules by doing something we don't like !), then a Ukrainian with a smuggled missile blew it up ... and Hamburg along with it. Whom do you suppose Germany would be pissed-off at ? That would be the end of Putin, you think ? Not the clown in Ukraine ?

Yup. You're ready for prime time at State, probably jump direct to a mid-level position at $250,000/year plus bennies. You could help plan the next Bay of Pigs invasion, where them oppressed peasants will greet our boys with garlands of flowers and six-packs of beer.

SeymourDumore

Diamond
First off, Russia doesn't send natural gas to Europe in LNG ships. They have a pipeline. It's called Nordstream and travels through Ukraine. They pay Ukraine billions of dollars a year in transit fees.

Umm... Yes, No and Yes.

Yes, Russia does not do LNG. They don't need to 'cos they have pipelines instead.

No, Nordstream is an offshore pipeline under the Baltic sea and unless Zselinski moved the borders quietly-like, it has nothing to do with Ukraine.

Yes, they do pay transit fees, but not to Ukraine, rather Poland, but even then, not for the Nordstream line, rather the onshore pipeline that runs along the southern border of Belarus
which has a pipehead in the western edge of Poland.

No, Nordstream is an offshore pipeline under the Baltic sea and unless Zselinski moved the borders quietly-like, it has nothing to do with Ukraine.
Wait, you're half right and I blew it on the name. Both Nordstreams bypass Ukraine but the original pipelines go through Ukraine and collect billions of USD/year for Ukraine. Still.

Nordstream 1 started in 2011, before that all of it went through Ukraine. In 2006 Ukraine and Russia had a spat, stopped shipments, Europe suffered, hence part of the impetus to build the Nordstreams. Ukraine lines are still operational tho, and making Ukraine big money.

N2 would probably cut that back to minimal and someone, somewhere would be very unhappy after investing a lot of cash in a Ukrainian puppet government. And it wasn't a Russian plot, Angela Merkel was a big supporter of the second pipeline that bypassed Ukraine. In her opinion, apparently Ukraine was not reliable.

Oops by me on the naming, sorry, however, not on the pipeline facts. Something is going on behind the scenes which we are not allowed to see. Someone is getting their pocketbook gored bigtime (as well as the fact that the US wants missiles in Ukraine).

This ain't no situation of "crazed madman on the loose" like the Washington Post and others proclaim loudly.

I'm kind of wondering how long Europe will be happy with no natural gas, or double-prices, just to make Washington happy ? are they just playing Stepan Fetchit for a while until LetsGoBrandon is out of office ?

Was Putin smart enough to wait until after winter so as to antagonize Europe the least ? Crush the Ukraine missiles NATO thing, then let it all cool off before going back to normal ? Because the US position here is 180* out from what is best for Europe. Biden is a fuckup, he'll be gone entirely, the US will be totally involved in the next election cycle soon and whatever he does about inflation will be a fiasco, Germany and Russia quietly open the valves and viola, Russia gets rid of the puppet Ukraine problem, Europe gets their gas at reasonable prices, and Washington proves they are fools once again ?

Looks to me like maybe someone is using their head, because invasions aren't normally an impulse purchase.

SeymourDumore

Diamond
but the original pipelines go through Ukraine

Yes, but nowadays they are as dry as a 100 year old devout nun.
Putin made sure to bypass Ukraine with the next onshore line a while ago.

Ukraine lines are still operational tho,

Yeah, Well ..
Just in case Mad-Vladimir missed it by his precision bombing, I am sure Volodimir has figured out where to plug it by now ( else why TELLING the West to STOP relying on Russian energy ??? )

So, No, that line is not operational nowadays. ( highschool friend used to run the booster pump station in Mosonmagyarovar - Hungary )

Something is going on behind the scenes we are not allowed to see?...........naaaa.......who would think that.......next youll be claiming we are being lied to.
Well, that's a pretty extreme claim ! We have a Free Press, you know ! And I can't think of any time they lied in the pa ... well, there was the Janet Cooke thing. And Tonkin Gulf. And Weapons of Mass Destruction. And Remember the Maine ! and the Domino Theory. And the electricity "shortage" in California. And just about everything about the 2006 depression, starting in the 90's. And ...

But I'm sure they got it right this time !

So, No, that line is not operational nowadays.
In the middle of a war ? Yeah, I can accept that :D

This didn't just start last month tho. No matter what the Post says, there are real reasons for Russia's behavior and Putin is not a madman.

To me, this is why the US loses every confrontation we've been involved in for the past seventy-five years. (Okay, we beat up Grenada. Be still, my heart.) The imbeciles in Worshington can't ever see the other person's side. And our side sucks, so in the end the US loses. Every arfing time.

p.s. Seymour - had to be running a bunch of gas through Ukraine in 2006 because cutting it off just about froze Yurop. And if Nord 1 was big enough, they wouldn't have spent billions buildng Nord 2. So I'ma gonna make a conclusion that even recently, lots of Russia gas was going through Ukraine. And somehow, the timing of all this is connected.

Much before that, hence building the expensive ones after.
Neither of us can actually know that but I addressed it above ... sorry, edited before you replied. But again, they wouldn't have spent billions on Nord 2 if Nord 1 was already doing all the work. And this whole thing happening just as Nord 2 is going to be started, mmmm. Not a coincidence, I'm pretty sure. Nobody does an invasion because it seems like that'd be a cool thing to do tomorrow.

barbter

Diamond
Well, that's a pretty extreme claim ! We have a Free Press, you know ! And I can't think of any time they lied in the pa ... well, there was the Janet Cooke thing. And Tonkin Gulf. And Weapons of Mass Destruction. And Remember the Maine ! and the Domino Theory. And the electricity "shortage" in California. And just about everything about the 2006 depression, starting in the 90's. And ...

But I'm sure they got it right this time !

Butt (!) you said the election was all above board.... :whistling:
:D

Trueturning

Diamond
No, seriously, I think you'd fit right in at State.

First off, Russia doesn't send natural gas to Europe in LNG ships. They have a pipeline. It travels through Ukraine. They pay Ukraine billions of dollars a year in transit fees, which just may have something to do with this. Last time we invaded a country it was a month after Hussein signed a contract with the rooskies instead of Brown & Root to build a pipeline to Aquaba. What a coincidence.

(You may remember them. They sent LBJ to Congress. Best government money can buy.)

Almost completed now is Nordstream 2 which does not travel through Ukraine. The US is furious about that, at least as far back as Trump and probably before. Lots of discussions about "sanctions" (aka extortion, "hey there buddy, you gots a real nice little country there, sure wouldn't want to see anything happen to it, wouldja ? Better do what we say ...") Why the US thinks it gets to tell Germany what to do, mmm, yeah. Totally innocent, I'm sure, nothing to do with this situation. Bad Putin, bad madman, crazed insane dictator ! All his fault !

And Germany doesn't have any LNG ports either, but let's just use our imagination. Let's say Russia sent an LNG tanker to Hamburg because a German company bought the gas because they need it and paid for it (oh wait ! the US says Germany can't buy stuff from Russia, so no dice ! uh-oh ! they are breaking Free Market rules by doing something we don't like !), then a Ukrainian with a smuggled missile blew it up ... and Hamburg along with it. Whom do you suppose Germany would be pissed-off at ? That would be the end of Putin, you think ? Not the clown in Ukraine ?

Yup. You're ready for prime time at State, probably jump direct to a mid-level position at $250,000/year plus bennies. You could help plan the next Bay of Pigs invasion, where them oppressed peasants will greet our boys with garlands of flowers and six-packs of beer.

Germany is the country determine how they get their energy. They chose Russia. That it can be a problem was discounted. Notice Germany remains in NATO just the same. So we are the one who brings up the issue and we bad? Schroeder started this really and he seems to have benefitted by it all. Now the fact is Germany needs its energy and who are we to complain very much if we can not supply it.

Aside from that just the same when this happens a invasion then countries have a choice to make fight or not. So things went bad and back to square one or dependent on a tyrants control and aggression. Well pretty much it is the same way things can always be.

Painted into a corner there is war. I am surprised this has not happened before in Europe. Who helps rebuild Ukraine afterward? I think Ukraine was feared by the RF as they actually had more going for it long term than the RF. Now they are being demolished of their infrastructure and expertise.

At the basic level the RF has attacked the people committing genocide openly while Europe watches. Agreements of security for Ukraine of anyone else should be in question as after a couple of presidents no one wants to stand behind it. Things change.

Trueturning

Diamond
In the middle of a war ? Yeah, I can accept that :D

This didn't just start last month tho. No matter what the Post says, there are real reasons for Russia's behavior and Putin is not a madman.

To me, this is why the US loses every confrontation we've been involved in for the past seventy-five years. (Okay, we beat up Grenada. Be still, my heart.) The imbeciles in Worshington can't ever see the other person's side. And our side sucks, so in the end the US loses. Every arfing time.

p.s. Seymour - had to be running a bunch of gas through Ukraine in 2006 because cutting it off just about froze Yurop. And if Nord 1 was big enough, they wouldn't have spent billions buildng Nord 2. So I'ma gonna make a conclusion that even recently, lots of Russia gas was going through Ukraine. And somehow, the timing of all this is connected.

USA is under the spotlight always. It is envy. Let those without sin throw the first stone. Besides the people living today are not to be blamed for something they never did. I know it is popular to try that but it really does not work well.

It surprises me you are so supportive of Putins view now what changed? Oh yeah the pact between China and the RF. Don’t look too close as Xi has gotten a real good sense of the actual reality of this screwed up war.

Pathogen

Hot Rolled
When a 737 becomes a lawn dart, is it poor quality control on off the shelf parts, and/or lack of professional maintenance?

What is a safe aeroplane to fly round trip to Europe?

Bill D

Diamond
It makes no sense that russia owns Konigsburg/Kalingrad. Just before this war broke out putin sent a 75 kiloton LNG tanker there so they would have gas. AFAIK it is still there port.
Bill D

Butt (!) you said the election was all above board.... :whistling:
Whisle all you like, the sun really does come up in the east, even if the Post reports on it. There is no, none, not one single bit of credible evidence that the fucking election was "stolen". Not one. The entire thing was watched by republican observers at every step (as well as democrats), they have not come up with even one verified case of "massive" fraud. In every case where those imbeciles forced a recount, they did the count and the numbers came out even worse for Trump.

This whole "stolen election" crap is beyond stupid.

jaguar36

Cast Iron
When a 737 becomes a lawn dart, is it poor quality control on off the shelf parts, and/or lack of professional maintenance?

What is a safe aeroplane to fly round trip to Europe?
Don't forget the possibility of foul play or pilot suicide/murder.

The 737 or any other Boeing/Airbus are all incredibly safe ways to travel. Order of magnitude safer than driving. When flown by a western country they are even safer.

Bill D

Diamond
Old Ukrainian. women give sunflower seeds to russian soldiers to put in their pocket. To mark their graves.
Bill D

In Ukraines fields the sunflowers blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Ukraines fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though sunflowers grow
In Ukraines fields.

Big B

Diamond
Whisle all you like, the sun really does come up in the east, even if the Post reports on it. There is no, none, not one single bit of credible evidence that the fucking election was "stolen". Not one. The entire thing was watched by republican observers at every step (as well as democrats), they have not come up with even one verified case of "massive" fraud. In every case where those imbeciles forced a recount, they did the count and the numbers came out even worse for Trump.

This whole "stolen election" crap is beyond stupid.

It was only stolen from trump but the republicons that got elected on the same ballots that Biden won on are all good. A person would need to be somewhat challenged to find this argument plausible.