What's new
What's new

Mori MS-850. Not as silky smooth as a 10EE?

Alberic

Cast Iron
HI guys,

So I've got the brakes on the new (to me) Mori more-or-less sorted, got the DRO mostly installed, etc. Now it's time to get serious about actually using the damned thing.

And I notice something: the apron Z traverse is sticky.
The bed is in *excellent* shape. I've never seen better.
It's level, no twist, etc.
But as I move it, there's a certain minimum speed that I need to keep above, or it sticks.
Which makes hitting an exact number difficult. It's not stuck, and it's not a location issue, it's just if you stop and try to creep up on a number, it'll stick, and then jump. Seems like it's some sort of sticktion issue. It doesn't jump much, just a thou or two, but that's too much for what I want it for. I'm using Vactra #2 in the apron.
I tried smearing some DTE-Lite on the bed and cranking over that a few times, to see if it was the 'sticky' stuff in the Vactra that was causing the issue. Doesn't seem to be.
I've owned a Cadillac, which is a Taiwanese copy of this style of Mori, and I don't remember that one sticking like this. (Vactra #2.)

My other manual is a 10EE, and that thing is silky smooth. You can roll up on any given tenth and stop right there, with no need to even think about it much. Also using Vactra #2 in the apron.
Comparing most lathes to a 10EE isn't exactly fair, but the Mori is one of the ones I'd expect to be in that class. I know it can do that kind of work, I'm just trying to figure out what the issue is.

Anybody got any thoughts?
Regards,
Brian

Paolo_MD

Stainless
What about the underside of the saddle? If it is perfectly flat with no flaking/scraping, you're indeed having stick-slip.

Paolo

bruszw1

Plastic
Been using my MS 850 for 8 years now. I have not experienced that problem. Cleaned and re-adjusted the saddle gibs 2-3 years ago and experienced no change, although I went way tighter. The saddle is still effortless to move. I can creep up on a tenth with a gentle rap of my knuckle on the handle.

The manufacturer recommended oil in the US is Shell Tonna 32.

I hate to say, but you may want to remove the apron and look underneath and check the pinion drive train.

Good luck.

Walter