What's new
What's new

Mori Seiki Control Questions (options on MAPPS IV?)

maxh

Hot Rolled
We're seriously considering an NLX-2500Y lathe with Mitsubishi control (M730BM) running their MAPPS IV software. I've had a hard time deciphering from the quote and the various online material what exactly comes with the control and what are options. The quote includes 6 months "free" of their MfgSuite, which seems to bundle on-control Esprit CAM software and things like collision avoidance, conversational programming, and lots of other things.

How is this MfgSuite sold; it it an option that you pay for once up front, or is it an annual license type thing?

What features would a barebones control be missing?

What's the difference between "NC Options" and "Software Options"?

We do incremental p/n engraving frequently and the rep added that specifically as a line item to the quote. I wish I could find a list of every option available that you won't get unless you request and pay for it. If I hadn't thought to ask about that, we might've been disappointed when the machine arrived and we found out it would cost $XXXX dollars to add some functionality that was assumed.

Anyone knowledgeable on Mori Seiki controls, and specifically MAPPS IV, please speak up with any thoughts you have about it. Also, any must-have features/options in your opinion?

We're seriously considering an NLX-2500Y lathe with Mitsubishi control (M730BM) running their MAPPS IV software. I've had a hard time deciphering from the quote and the various online material what exactly comes with the control and what are options. The quote includes 6 months "free" of their MfgSuite, which seems to bundle on-control Esprit CAM software and things like collision avoidance, conversational programming, and lots of other things.

How is this MfgSuite sold; it it an option that you pay for once up front, or is it an annual license type thing?

What features would a barebones control be missing?

What's the difference between "NC Options" and "Software Options"?

We do incremental p/n engraving frequently and the rep added that specifically as a line item to the quote. I wish I could find a list of every option available that you won't get unless you request and pay for it. If I hadn't thought to ask about that, we might've been disappointed when the machine arrived and we found out it would cost $XXXX dollars to add some functionality that was assumed.

Anyone knowledgeable on Mori Seiki controls, and specifically MAPPS IV, please speak up with any thoughts you have about it. Also, any must-have features/options in your opinion?

MfgSuite is upfront cost and "maintenance cost" each year. Unless they changed it recently.
Nc options are 1000psi coolant
Software options is high speed look ahead

We just got "about a month ago" an NLX 2500 / 700 MC with the (M730BM) control with MAPPS IV
One option i wish we had on the control was the *.DXF import feature.
Drawing in MAPPS sucks balls, so if you can draw in a CAD software then just import it into MAPPS and make a program from that image it would be soooooooooooo much easier. But we didnt get that option dang it!!!
I would suggest you get that option unless you have no CAD software.

If you have any other Q's about the M730BM i will try to help you, im new to it as well.

PS : you can get that option turned on after you buy the machine for about 2,600$ OUCH!

I thought I would use Mapps alot when we first purchased our NLX2500/700sy, however after training, i pretty much snatch code from one program or another with the copy/paste functions on the controller and do it long-hand. If there is a question about my programming, i do sometimes go into Mapps and program it out to see if it matches up, but that is very rare.

One thing I dislike about Mapps, the lack of a thread mill option. I had to cam it and import it. Another little quirk about Mapps is that it likes to auto-organize your tool options, so all your face drilling is done before facing the part. You can go back into mapps and select which order you would like your tool programming to be spit out tho, so its not a real big issue.

I haven't installed the suite so i cannot comment about it. I have been making chips from the first day of training and haven't looked back. Its a fast machine and the live tooling is quiet !

Thanks for the responses!

MfgSuite is upfront cost and "maintenance cost" each year. Unless they changed it recently.
Nc options are 1000psi coolant
Software options is high speed look ahead

How much is the maintenance? I think the upfront cost was quoted at $4k-something; $4600?

We just got "about a month ago" an NLX 2500 / 700 MC with the (M730BM) control with MAPPS IV
One option i wish we had on the control was the *.DXF import feature.
Drawing in MAPPS sucks balls, so if you can draw in a CAD software then just import it into MAPPS and make a program from that image it would be soooooooooooo much easier. But we didnt get that option dang it!!!
I would suggest you get that option unless you have no CAD software.

If you have any other Q's about the M730BM i will try to help you, im new to it as well.

PS : you can get that option turned on after you buy the machine for about 2,600$ OUCH!

Thanks. $2600 for just that part seems high! Unless my understanding of the pricing is wrong, the full MFG Suite is $4600 and comes with much more than the CAD upload. Looks like it comes with Esprit CAM w/ appropriate post processor. And you can install Esprit on a computer to use away from the machine. Connect to the same network to activate the license, then you can disconnect for up to 7 days at a time. And with the CAD data in the control, you can use things like collision detection.

Does anyone here use the collision detection functionality?

I thought I would use Mapps alot when we first purchased our NLX2500/700sy, however after training, i pretty much snatch code from one program or another with the copy/paste functions on the controller and do it long-hand. If there is a question about my programming, i do sometimes go into Mapps and program it out to see if it matches up, but that is very rare.

One thing I dislike about Mapps, the lack of a thread mill option. I had to cam it and import it. Another little quirk about Mapps is that it likes to auto-organize your tool options, so all your face drilling is done before facing the part. You can go back into mapps and select which order you would like your tool programming to be spit out tho, so its not a real big issue.

I haven't installed the suite so i cannot comment about it. I have been making chips from the first day of training and haven't looked back. Its a fast machine and the live tooling is quiet !

I visited a Mori shop today and was given a tour of their machines, and I'm sure hoping we settle on this (and the Mori DuraVertical 5100 mill we're considering, too.) The "BMT" motor in turret design w/ 10K rpm live tooling sure looks great compared to others.

I work with a nlx 2500y and a nlx 300/700 with mapps iv.
If you want, i tell you wich parameters to activate to have some extra fixtures like engraving and some others. However, i also need to know other parameters that activate other functions.
DMG Mori are not kind of friendly on these matters and i do not agree with that.

Back