What's new
What's new

Mori Seiki SL2-H Turret problem

spurst

Aluminum
Hello I have a older Mori Seiki SL 2-H Lathe with a Fanuc 3T Model F Controls. I am having turret problems no crashes other than a broken dill bit 1/4 inch. Its a 12 station turret, What it is doing is, when it indexes it will not stop rotating, after a bout 10 revs it will stop not locked, and on random tools, and the turret indicator light is not lite, no error codes, and it stops the program or does the same in hand mode, the only tool it will index is tool 1, from any tool, but will not index to the other 11 tools. I have no ideal where to start looking. The electric boxes or the turret it self. it was working just fine and then has a CNC fit. Has hyd. pressure chuck clamps and unclamps fine. All the axis move and Zero fine. The only thing I have done different since I owned it is put a M18 code in a program to speed things up. So then I switched programs to one that ran hundreds of parts flawless, without the M18 same thing. Hoping some has knowledge of this problem I read all the Manuals not much help.

What does “has a CNC fit” mean? The symptoms you describe could be a bad sensor for counting turret position or a missing Diagnostic parameter that defines number of turret positions.

What does “has a CNC fit” mean? The symptoms you describe could be a bad sensor for counting turret position or a missing Diagnostic parameter that defines number of turret positions.

It just stops all operations no crashes or nothing, when it goes to home to index, Turret just rotates then stops not locked, and on random tools

Could it have messed up one of the sensors because I rotated the turret in reverse, I have not messed with the Parameters

That over my head I don't know how to figure out the diagnostic bits are you saying to check to see if the sensors are reacting to open-close sending voltage. I don't know where the sensors are I presume on the turret,

I took the turret rear cover off and looked, all the wiring looks to be in good shape, its surprisingly clean, what do i need to check the switches with a volt meter, to see if they are sensing when the blocks come under them, they all seem to be spaced out about the same clearance.

Checking with a meter is no guarantee that the control is reading the switch. You need to find those sensors in the wiring diagram and identify which input signals and associated Diagnostic bits. Then monitor the Diagnostics to see if the sensor signal is reaching the control.

Ok Thank you, I will try to see if I can figure out which one is which The Mori instruction manual I have is the one that came with the lathe new, but someone down the road changed the controller from a 6T to a 3T Fanuc I do have the 3T connecting maintenance manual and the maintenance manual for the controller. It is so Greek to me its hard for me to understand. I did figure out what you where referring to Monitoring the diagnostics I played with that for a while and got a understanding of that I know that data # 0053 changes when rotate the turret. And 0054 flashes ones on and off all the time in two columns. Now If i can read the prints and associate those switches with the correct number. Thanks for all your help I know I don't know much about the electric part of it. If it was a mechanical part or drawing I can figure those out. But without people like you helping me I could never figure out the Computer side Thank you Again

Not sure, but I don't think Mori ever supplied a 3T version of the operators manual. I have all the original manuals for our 3T SL2 and as you stated, the OP manual is for a 6T control, not specific to a 3T. There is a pretty complete explaination in the maintenance chapter of the OP manual on how to trace devices back thru the ladder and to the I/O status for a device.

If your turret has an encoder/resolver for rotation count, it could be bad. Often the encoder will have a small LED that lights up when on Tool 1.
I would look for a spare encoder on Ebay, or Tennessee Industrial Electronics, or even Fanuc.

Be careful when installing a replacement with the slack/backlash between the encoder gear and turret gear. You don't want the fit too tight, else it can damage (over time) the encoder bearings. (Can't be too loose either!)

If your turret uses multiple proximity switches to determine tool position, then one (or more) of your switches could be bad (or out of adjustment).

ToolCat

Not sure, but I don't think Mori ever supplied a 3T version of the operators manual. I have all the original manuals for our 3T SL2 and as you stated, the OP manual is for a 6T control, not specific to a 3T. There is a pretty complete explaination in the maintenance chapter of the OP manual on how to trace devices back thru the ladder and to the I/O status for a device.

Yea mine also the op manual from Mori is for a 6T controller.

I don't know if it has a encoder or not I would not know if I was looking at one. But mine does have Seven switches on the back of the turret. Plus 3 on the X axis's

Thanks for all the help, It turns out that there was one switch on the back of the turret that was bad. I finally figured out the diagnostics and found the correct bit, its was just a switch that was bad

Back