What's new
What's new

Mori SL3 Turret not indexing

CBmach

Plastic
Hello,

I recently picked up a 1988 Mori Seiki SL-3 H with a Fanuc 10TF control. 12 position turret.

The turret will not index within any mode. The clamp / unclamp light next to the manual index button is blinking.
This may not be related but, the pulse dial will not move the turret. Although the turret will move under rapid as well as MDI and auto. Any thoughts for diagnosis to point me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

Be well.

Hello,

I recently picked up a 1988 Mori Seiki SL-3 H with a Fanuc 10TF control. 12 position turret.

The turret will not index within any mode. The clamp / unclamp light next to the manual index button is blinking.
This may not be related but, the pulse dial will not move the turret. Although the turret will move under rapid as well as MDI and auto. Any thoughts for diagnosis to point me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

Be well.

So in one place you say the turret will not index within any mode, but a bit further down you say the turret will move in rapid etc. Do you mean the axis will move in rapid or the turret?

When the light next to the manual index button blinks that can mean that the turret does not know where position 1 is. Unfortunately, it has been so long since I last worked on one of these I do not recall the procedure to reset that. The Mori operation manual probably has instructions. Have you checked there? The ladder diagram manual will have information on which PMC parameters set the turret type and count so you could check that and compare what is set versus what index the turret is in.

The blinking light can also mean the turret is not clamped. That could be a bad or poorly adjusted sensor. Could also be a hydraulic problem. Has the machine run since you got it?

Do you have hydraulic pressure? If not check your phase rotation.

Have you homed x and Z? You most likely will need to be in jog or one of the manual modes to index the turret. Can you clamp and unclamp the chuck or move the tailstock in and out? Check rotation on the hydraulic pump or check the gages on the hydraulic unit to see if you have hydraulic pressure. There are three hydraulic valves on the end of the tank- one for the chuck, one for the tailstock and one for the turret clamp, unclamp. Not sure if that late a machine uses a hydraulic motor to rotate the turret or not- probably.

The turret is out of orientation.
First, home the machine properly.
Then, in manual mode, place the turret selector switch on "1" and press the index button. The turret should work its way around all 12 stations and back to station 1.

Back