What's new
What's new

Motor Advice for saving a cold saw

Today I took the lathe's VFD and hooked it up to the cold saw. I was nervous but it seemed that all the melted wires were downstream of the junction box. Anyway, I hooked it up and turned it on and it ran smooth as silk and the gear box was quieter than the Haberle. I was thrilled.

I called Dealer Electric and spoke to Harold who knows his motors. I timed the blade at about 120 or rpm which was about the same as the Haberle on low speed and that was running off the UVW posts with nothing on the XYZ. Harold said that if UVW was slow speed than hooking the terminals to XYZ and bridging the UVW will give high speed. I went out and picked up a Teco VFD from them and will order a blade and start cleaning the fixing up the saw. The VFD has a remote control panel so my plan is to mount the VFD box inside the saw where it will stay coolant free and the display up front to control the speed. I got a VFD with a pot so speed adjustment will be easy.

I'll try to post up some shots of the saw once I've got it going. Thanks everyone for the help in getting this going.

Gregor

Since the help here was instrumental I wanted to post up some photos of the saw now that I finished it. It had about 10 coats of paint many of which were painted over swarf. I stripped it to metal and gave it a fresh coat of machine gray. I built a new lock arm and rebuilt the vise. Also replaced the wiring with a VFD that I hid inside with the remote display in the front and I run it overclocked to 120hz for aluminum and 60 for steel and then can slow it down more for stainless.

web.jpg

I set the stops for 45° and it to makes perfect mitres - a million times easier than the Haberle. Anyway, I feel good to have rescued this and given it a second lease on life. Thanks for the help.

Gregor

Back