What's new
What's new

Motor clean-up and evaluation

maynah

Stainless
I Picked up a Parks, (Craftsman), 12" planer and it has a 2hp motor that was full of chips and saw dust.
I'm cleaning it up and want to know a few things. I'm electrically challenged so bear with me.
It does run now. The brushes look good. Does the armature have much life left in it?
It's wired for 110v and I want to change it to 220v but there is no diagram on the motor.
It has 4 wires in the box. One white, one black and two that are wired together. The two wired together are marked T2 and T3. What do I need to do to switch to 220v?

IMG_1722 - Copy.jpgIMG_1721 - Copy.jpgIMG_1720 - Copy.jpg

How do you know it is wired for 110V?

It is apparently a repulsion or at least repulsion start motor, due to the brushes. If there is s brush lifter and shorting system, it is repulsion start.

The existence of 4 wires, with numbers 2 and 3 connected together, suggests that it actually is now wired for 220.

So, if it runs, what sort of current does it pull? Does it start up briskly? Does it seem to be lacking a bit in power?

Without the wiring diagram I figured starting on 110v first would be best so I just tried it. It seemed to come right up to speed. I thought if it was 220v, it wouldn’t run on 110 or not run well.
I didn’t check the current.

Many motors will start on half voltage. Particularly ones with higher starting torque, which a repulsion start motor can have.

The rpm rating does suggest that it is a repulsion start type, and that would make sense for a planer, which tends to have a high inertia.

The information given does suggest that the motor is already wired for 220V. A current measurement, and possibly a tach reading, would confirm it.

I am pretty sure it is wired 220V, but I have no idea what may have been done to the motor in the distant past. When that motor was made, rewinding a motor was not the unusual thing that it is now.

Back