What's new
What's new

Moving 800 pound lathe across state

Seeing as "cherry picker" is slang for a man lift (i.e. something that could in theory be used to pick cherries), what you actually need is a shop crane.

The U-haul store here charges by the day. Unless you are going one way- then you get the mileage charge. If you use one of their trailers with the drop tailgate. you will need a piece of plywood an a comealong to pulll it up the ramp. A drop deck would definitely be easier, but I'd think the fold up shop crane would make life a little easier. Hell, rent a pickup from a rental company and buy a H F 159.95 colapsible engine hoist and rent a U-haul drop tailgate 2 axle trailer ( I'm thinking it cost me 29 bucks for aa day)

Here's an example of a cart that was used for a similar sized lathe. The 4x4 was bought and the rest was scrounged or on hand including the casters that were borrowed from some tool cabinets. Use the uhaul 5x9 trailer with the ramp. Winch it on and roll it off.

Attachments

• clausing 4901 (Small).jpg
    clausing 4901 (Small).jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 155
Here's an example of a cart that was used for a similar sized lathe. The 4x4 was bought and the rest was scrounged or on hand including the casters that were borrowed from some tool cabinets. Use the uhaul 5x9 trailer with the ramp. Winch it on and roll it off.
I had one of those lathes and sold it in the late 1980's. Was desperate for space and wanted some money to put toward the new CNC lathe that I had coming in. Getting ready to retire and wish I had it to put in my garage at home! Hind sight is 20/20 I guess. Retirement was nowhere in the realm of thought then!

Thanks everyone for the advise. The guy just called me and told me he bought a machine down by me at an estate sale and was renting a trailer to pick it up on Tuesday. If I want he can bring down the lathe on Wednesday when he goes to return the trailer. He wants me to meet him first before he loads it and pay him. Then we drive down and he delivers it then returns the trailer. This way I can see the machine under power and make sure nothing sketchy is going on. Downside is I have to get there around 8 am as he wants to try and return the trailer by noon. If all goes well I should have it Wednesday then. Of course I now have to get my workshop all ready for it.

Dude -- is there anything ELSE you can complain about ????? Now the lathe is coming to you and it's all within 2 hours of you --- WTH else can be wrong -- you can't be over budget now-------

[I have to get there around 8 am as he wants to try and return the trailer by noon.]
Good luck with that time frame.. A guy who knows how to handle the lathe that is very good.
Ask him the big question "Is there anything wrong with it"

It wasn't really a complaint. I simply stated the only issue left is having a 4 hour window to look over the lathe, load it up, drive 2 hours and then unload it in time for him to return the trailer.

I bought a South Bend Heavy 10 on a cabinet without knowing what it was. I showed up 50 miles out in the wilds at the end of a dirt road with a 1988 Ford Festiva. I took it all to pieces and put it in the Festiva and carefully brought it home. I looked up the weight when I got home, 1050 pounds.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/213/421/38030210001_original.jpg

As it was filthy and needed to be disassembles and cleaned, I was ahead of the game when I got home.

If you go the take it apart route, take photos and bring strong bags to put screws and bolts in. Tie or tape the bags to the parts they come from or make notes and put in bag.

Paul

All I can say is WOW.

If you can fit all that in a Ford Festiva, the OP shouldn't have a problem.

I'd love to see a pic of the car with the lathe stuffed in there.

Back